18650 EDC / Convoy S3 host - 8*7135 driver

i assume average tailstanding in a room temperature indoor environment, if it gets too hot there its overdriven
you can expect a non flashaholic to try that in a power outage or unlit room

strange, i used my convoy m1 to light up a small room yesterday and it was quite warm after 30 mins (and it has better heatsinking then the s2) on 840mA. As a flashaholic i despise turbo modes because i know what i am doing and a bit of heat is no big deal because i can adapt as needed, but for a layman i would design it to be as failsafe as i can, so built in temperature reduction and defined turbo modes

My car will go well over 100mph, but I rarely drive anywhere other than in town on residential streets. Should I permanently affix a wooden block under the throttle and remove two plug wires, just to be safe? :_(

I'm kinda glad I don't live in your world, it sounds like a terrifying place. :)

did i not say i use my own discretion when needed?

i also said i dislike turbo modes which would be the equivalent of what your suggesting because i want more lumens on my own terms, i am saying that a reasonable failsafe means tailstanding with little airflow at room temp, is that unlikely to ever happen?

Even at 350mA if you put a light in insulation and IR reflective environment so it could effectively not heat shed at all it will get well over the 150ºC needed to fry the emitter, i’m not saying therefore you should only allow 20mA, i’m saying reasonable layman usage, and above that you need to know what your doing (being a flashaholic i assume you do) or be outdoors with air movement or cold temps

my definition of overdriving is not an ANSI standard, its my own benchmark, if you don’t agree with that then i don’t really care, to me its a reasonable standard. If you have a way of shedding heat faster so more lumens and temps under hand burning level under the conditions i stated then i want to know about it

I recently built a convoy s4 for my boss and his wife for dog walking, , flashaholics they are not, it got 2.8a high and stern advice on usage……

my boss is not in the least daft, he’s one of my best friend’s, his report back? in his usage, outdoors in the uk, its never more than a useful bright hand warmer, and he’s taken my advice to heart and tested it thoroughly before letting his wife loose. I have and edc 18650 which I think is the s3, I drive it at 2.6a on high, same 4c emitter as my bosses. I use it in a head strap as a head light, I never need it on high but I’m glad to have that available just incase.

I say build at 3a and use modes for sensible output, its nice to have a good high available.

this is a rather unique situation, most people do not and will not go to this effort or care, and outdoors usage sheds heat far better then indoors, i had used the 2.8A nonstop handheld till battery exhaustion outside with no problem, but most people i know would not be the least bit vigilant or do any testing, they want it to work, its an appliance that they use without thinking
i once loaned a lead acid halogen to a friend with stern advice to charge it after use, she not only did not do it, she drained it, left it drained for a month and gave it back to me. The battery was destroyed and i never found a replacement for reasonable cost.
I now don’t loan lights or would loan an AA NiMH light

I agree, i hate underpowered lights because i want the higher output when i need it without the light thinking its smarter then me or being under powered, most of my usage is under 5 mins indoors and i use it on high everytime (and would like a higher high), but the average person will burn themselves because they dont care to know any better

i assume you have heard of the lady who burned herself on mcdonalds coffee, sued and won?

I think i did not make my position clear so far, i like high powered and use it safely and would like even brighter, i am saying for mass market consumption the design should take into account their likely usage and should be designed to prevent injury, some common sense would prevent injury but few people have it or use it if they do possess any