18650 headlamp with built-in recharge circuit

I’m looking for recommendations for a 18650 headlamp that has a recharge port built into the body of the headlamp. I saw the Nitecore HC60, but it’s not exactly budget price not the typical headlamp style that can easily used as a handheld. So, something closer in form factor to the “normal” headlamp.

Sofirn Sp-40 is a quality cheap headlamp. Has a nice strong magnet also. Mine comes in handy when i’m working under the car.

I know of 13 headlamps that meet the your criteria. The Sofirn SP40 is probably the best value but the Skilhunt H03 RC is very popular.

I have both the Nitecore and the Sofirn. The Nitecore is nice but a little heavy. The Sofirn is my go to now.

Thanks. The Sofirn pretty much checks all the boxes. I wish the low was lower than 5 lumens, but the normal USB plug makes up for it I think. How’s the headstrap feel? I’ve had others that had a plastic piece that sits right up against your forehead and it was uncomfortable.

I’m also a Sofirn junkie and the SP40 is a nice light I have and use. But I have bought TEN of these cool headlamps HERE

They have been passed out to my stage crew for use during live multi-stage shows and stowed in many hunting packs for finding deer shot 2 minutes before legal light is gone. And they are running great after two years of use by my crew and hunting buds. I load them with Panny Bs for 3500mAhs of run time.

Dressing a deer is hard to do with a narrow beam when you need to see where that knife is going :wink: But throw needs to be good as well. So I REALLY LIKE the output with good throw and a wider/even spill these two led headlamps have. The fit is really comfortable too as they are light and stay cooler on the forehead without sweating me out like my old monsters I used to run :weary: I can’t tell it’s on my head after a minute and I’d say it’s just as comfy as the SP40.

Charging is also super easy with the screw back cap system. But one thing is, you need to keep your o-rings lubed on that cap to keep it watertight and from drying up with frequent charging. I use butter. :blush:

Best of all… they cost $12 each when you buy TWO using AliExpress coupons. This is the TWO led headlamp with no battery deal and this seller has always sent me lights in a fair amount of time with zero problems.

Oh, and this is the exact same light Sofirn.com sells for closer to $16 :neutral_face: after FAKE tax IS added.

I also saw Sofirn at AliExpress had SP40s for $18.42 without a battery. Their 18650 3k battery is ok, but if it’s more than a buck or two… I’d go for run time with the Panny Bs for the same money since these lights don’t need high drain batteries.

Something worth noting is that the headlamp Sofirn sells on their site does use an identical body to the light you’ve been buying, but have been modified to use SST40 LEDs and a more conventional UI.
But in either case, I agree that they’re nice lights to have! The hidden charging port is a nice feature, and feels preferable to the rubber covers you usually find on lights with integrated charging.

Yes, I stand corrected: TODAY Sofirn does have the SST40 in this light they don’t make themselves.

However… WHEN I was buying these headlamps (two years ago) they were the same— and Sofirn was trying to charge about $18 each on AE (and… this was before they charged FAKE taxes). I bought a lot of Sofirn back then, and they bait/switched to the single led model on me too. :expressionless: That left a bad taste in my mouth so I went to this buyer.

Seems they got it together since then and I buy from the Sofirn.com store lately. But I love the old style with the simple: off, low, high UI and XM-L2s. I pass these out to a lot of basic users and they love them too. And honestly, I’d go nuts with the new UI as I get “simple” myself when I’m back-stage or in the field focused on other “tasks” and I just want a light… now! :smiley:

The King

8 of them are Skillhunt H03 variants.

I love the Boruit D10/Sofirn D25S though I also recommend minor mods… and neither is actually L-shaped

The D10 style headlamps are nice. Cheap under $14 from China, bright, and simple. Users 18650, built in USB charging, waterproof. It’s lightweight also. I modded it with a 5000k sst40. Really woke it up.

I have bought a total of 5 or 6 of these “D25” lights for myself, my colleagues and even my boss over the last two years. Basically, everyone who have held it in their hands and have been told the price asked me to get one for them, too. The lowest price I could find right now is $10.07 with free shipping , but this is not the seller I bought mine from so don’t mistake my link for recommending this particular lot.

Does the Sofirn D25s, which is exactly twice as expensive, have better LEDs and better light output / color temp? I’m asking because it’s time for me to buy another one of these :slight_smile: So I’m choosing between the generic Boruit D25 and SST-40 Sofirn D25S.

The D25 headlamps hold up to daily use well. They are easy to rotate in the holder which I find useful for tasks like painting or mechanics. The SP40 is also very good. A little diffusion film is needed to make it less throwy.

Alexium,

Haha… your comment on showing this off to people is how I ended up with all of these too :wink:

I have both the Sofirn and generic. I have used them side by side and the the tint on the Sofirn is closer to 5-5.5k with about the same beam width. I like this kelvin range personally but for headlamp work (where I’m usually outside when using one), I do prefer the 6k’ish tint level of the generic. I don’t feel it’s too blue and like the light for seeing squash and cucumber bugs at night (which I pick off about 20 a night lately, down from 60 two weeks ago).

As far as throw, they have enough for 99% of my needs AND are wider than a lot of headlamps I’ve had and to me that is a key difference I like for the main work we use these for- stage management. I’ve owned a sound production company for 20 years where I thankfully work for the same customers for the most part. When we strike down an entire production (like Ultrafest’s 40k person main stage) at 3 or 4am with ZERO light anywhere— you live and die by the flashlights you have. You are pushing to get it done and on the road before the HOT sun comes up and steams the soaked shirt you have on. You need to see wide enough to find cases, cables, etc. This headlamp doesn’t throw 100 meters like my VERY old C8 reflector (dangling) headlamp, BUT it’s not a 10” beam two feet away where you can’t see to the sides well up close. So with this D25— the spill is great (with the twin LED model). And it can still get out there 50 yards or so so even riding a bike is doable if not too fast :wink:

My post #6 had the link at the top of the listing for the seller I got all mine from. With a $1 off coupon they typically have in checkout, they cost a few cents over $12 each. They are the TWIN LED models like the D25s shipped bare (no charger, cables, just the light). ALL lights I have received from them have been packed well and received as SLOW as everything else— but the seller does stay on top of it as one order went back, then re-shipped- four months later (back in May when Covid shipping issues were at the peak of effect on shipping). But he got ’er done and the last order came in 4 weeks (about a month ago).