2 AAA penlights in the budget - medium price segment.

I think ric has it too ..at CQG.. I like the look of it and who doesn't love a flood to throw ..?

@parnass - may i know what's that left most light on your pic? the one with the black octagonal body. thanks.

Welcome to BLF, louph!

The Romisen RC-27 hardly qualifies for a penlight with a head diameter of 25 mm. That's more than most of my 1AA/2AA lights.

I agree. I feel the Pelican 1920 is getting close to as thick as i want to carry a penlight. The Terra-Lux 80 was just over the line. I’m sure everyone has a different size limit for a penlight but mine lies between the Pelican and Terralux.

It is a 25 lumen Inova Bolt 3A. See Inova's web page here: http://www.inovalight.com/bolt/bolt_3a.php

Welcome aboard, parnass!

Aloha and welcome to BLF parnass!

it would make a terrible flood to throw if it had just a tiny head.... :p

Actually the 20mm head on the saik 207 doesn't seem all that big ..but you're right it's about the same size as most AA lights ...but on a slim body it doesn't seem that outta place .

I was surprised how much I liked the 2AAA sized lights

I think with the overall lack of 2AAA lights even the oddball lights get a free pass.

is there a saintfire 2AAA?

I have a new light to add to the mix. The Streamlight Pro Tac 2AAA. I bought this a month or two ago and gave it a few weeks as my work edc.

It is the most expensive of the medium priced penlights that I own at $32. I will compare it to my still favorite penlight the Pelican 1920. It costs 50% more than the 1920 but is the same or slightly less bright to my eye. The tint on the 1920 is better, being warmer while the Pro Tac has a slighly greenish hue. The Pro Tac has a head slappingly stupid UI. High is first press, strobe is two very quick presses and low is three ULTRA quick presses that the human hand can barely do. It is a joke.

Whoever thought of this UI just ruined the light. It would have bee much better with just high/low controlled by normal clicks with no memory.

In short, the Pelican 1920 is still the best penlight out there for the money. It is $22 shipped from Botach and can’t be beat.

I own a tank007 E06 pen light which is fine although i would prefer a second, low, mode and a better quality (as well as instant on) clicky button.

My favorite pen light however is the Ledlenser P4 with its amazing ‘spot light’ adjustable beam! Great, elegant light with instant on clicky.

Here’s a penlight with a clip that’s just a little different.

Coast A9

And I would love to try this twist focus light

2xAAA penlights.

check out the NEXTORCH K3. very nice stuff. 180 lm

it is new, and i dont know where to buy it from:

http://www.nextorch.com/en/flashlights/smart-series/K3/

It does look nice, but pricey - $35 from here. This is where I got some Keeppower 3100’s from a while back - recommended, and speedy. He also accepts Best Offers.

The penlight is my favorite form factor. 2AAAs has enough power and runtime for a full day of use in my line of work. I only need about 1 1/2-2 hours and 80 lumins or less for most things. It is all I need and nothing more. My Pelican 1920 is still serving duty just fine as my EDC but I am always in the market for something new. I was happy with my Streamlight Stylus Pro until I got the Pelican.

If I could design the perfect penlight, it would be a two mode twist head with forward clicky ala the Klarus/Jetbeam UI. That gives you the simplicity of a forward clicky for momentary on but the low mode for when you don’t want to be blinded working up close and can increase runtimes. It would also be as thin as possible with a strudy pocket clip. Or just a two mode clicky forward switch with no memory so it would come on in high unless you switched modes. The high should be about 80 lumins or so and the low/med mode should be 30 lumins give or take. No need for a fraction of a lumin or other nonsense like a strobe.

The Streamlight Pro-Tac 2AAA I bought was a bust because of the stupid UI. It has high/low/strobe. Who the hell needs strobe in a penlight? To make matters worse, the strobe is easier to access than the low which is nearly impossible to catch. You have to hit the clicky 3 times in a 1/4 of a second to get low. To get strobe you need to quick press twice. Seems like the strobe function should be the one that is semi-hidden not the low mode which is actually usefull.

That Nextorch woukd be great if they scrapped the high mode ans the strobe mode. Who needs 160 lumins for 26 mins out of penlight? What possible use is a strobe in a penlight? I have a few 18650 lights that I mount to ky bike, the strobe actually serves a function as a bike light but never on a penlite or a edc light of any kind. It just get in the way of the modes you need.

I wonder why Fenix stopped producing its LD05 pen light. From the specs and quality, i believe it should be one of the best pen lights.

Fenix LD05 spec’s:

• Cree XP-E R2 LED
• Three output levels: 32 Lumens (5hrs), 4 Lumens (23hrs), 100 Lumens (1.5hrs)
• Uses two 1.5V AAA (Ni-MH, Alkaline) batteries
• Working voltage:1.8-3.2V
• 149.5mm (Length) x 14mm (Diameter)
• Made of durable stainless steel and aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• 44.5-gram weight (excluding batteries)
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
• Ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
• Push-button tail switch

There just doesn’t seem to be much interest in penlights. Fact is, I use my Pelican 1920 every day at work. It gets more use than all my other lights combined. It is only $22 and could really be my only light if I was limited to just one.

If anyone want's a LD05 then this place seems to still have one in stock.

I do.