2016 Pocket Thrower

Okay, no dog shaving! Shaving cats, OTOH…. }:slight_smile:

If unscrewing the head & replacing the reflector isn’t too much modding, this fits your bill:

A working, built Convoy S5 (at 115mm * 23mm the smallest of the Convoy “roll-of-coins” form factor). I EDC my homemade S5 clone, but the bespoke one linked costs less now than DIY! I wear “engineer pants” (aka “khaki”) and semi-tight jeans; and this one disappears when I slip it in my front pocket. SWMBO even sewed a line along the front of my work pants pockets to make a ‘pocket-within-a-pocket’ to hold it vertical.

Almost there…

Also, get either the 8° on the same order or go elsewhere for a 10° TIR optic. Unscrew the head, remove the pill, reflector and lens (not the O-ring!!) and drop the TIR in then replace the pill tightly.

I can’t confirm the performance of this package, since FT has lost their minds & can’t seem to get mine shipped.

As soon as (IF!!) it comes in, I have two of these with 60° optics with which I can show side-by-side beam shots. From what I’ve studied, it should give a lot of throw for its size. I will try to find something 200m away to see if it throws that far.

The optic does more than shape the beam, it also mixes the weird Cree colors into a smooth, even White. In a package that will hide in your front pocket.

HTH…

I am looking for this. Can you recommend a smooth reflector?
Edit: sorry, I am looking for a reflector for S2+, not S2.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007056/1575001-aluminum-alloy-smooth-reflector-for-s2-s5-s6-s7

This is the one I use and works awesome.

Edit: Misread that last part.
I think there may be a TIR but may require a spacer too. Someone will chime in soon I bet…

Perhaps I’m just being overly cautious with mine. Do you rotate yours so they all get used? Mine sit for months at a time and then I top them off. Maybe it just means I need to play with them more. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wellllll, not exactly. I’ve got some 135 flashlights and I play with some while others sit for months untouched. I just pulled my modded FandyFire Rook out yesterday and the 3 Windyfire 14500’s were at 2.8V. The e-switch drains em over time. Charged em and put em in my kit, I have very few lights that I can’t leave with cells in em. The Rook won’t lock-out.

Ever buy a laptop battery pack and gut it for the cells? Those have sat around in a warehouse sometimes 4 years, sometimes more, the cells are usually all still good. Just a thought.

How about the Zeusray ?

Here is nice thread on de-domed vs domed.

I know consistency of build has been an issue in the past but for $7.99 minus shipping and less than $15 shipped worth a shot.
Looks like you can get the Copper pill or Alum for same money right now.
https://www.dealmetic.com/login.asp?redsta=product

HTH
Keith

The X5 is very cool for it’s size, but there is a real issue. It uses a 14500, so while it can have amazing throw for it size, runtime while attaining the throw is very limited.

An 18650 light will be bigger of course, it really comes down to how much runtime you need at the high output levels and max throw.

Personally I wouldn’t call a D80 or X6 really all that pocket friendly. Not unless you are talking coat pocket. They are just too chunky.

A Zuesray as mentioned above is a perfect pocket fit however and witha de-domed XM-L2 or retrofit XP-L HI or XP-G2 they throw very well for their size. In fact it’s probably my best pocket thrower if truth be told.

I see no reason why you couldn’t make something like a Convoy M2 a good pocket thrower too. XP-L HI/XP-G2/de-domed XP-G2 and a good driver in one should make it throw well. And is as pocket friendly as the Zuesray.

And for the record, I’ve mentioned this a few time over recent months.

An X5 head with an X6 body would make a superb light IMO. Pocket friendly and awesome throw and runtime.

Does that work? Are they legoable together like that?

No sadly not. But it would be great if Astrolux/Manker or whoever would make it.

No. Different diameter tubes

What is the coupon for the x5?

I must have missed something. What cell does the ZeusRay use? Am I to understand that you’re saying the ZeusRay throws better than the X5 on a 1.5V Alkaline cell? Man I must’ve really missed the bus somewhere….

Also, if an 25.5mm X6 tube were put on a 31mm X5 head, wouldn’t it be pretty much a Convoy M1? So what would be the point? Another bus passed me by…

Subscribed and agree with a future X5 on an X6 body. Is it even doable?

47f968 brings it down to $30

The problem with the convoy m2 is that it has a op reflector. It’s not gonna throw like the x5.
The Zeus Ray has potential, but I find the hot spot to be too small in the throw mode. Maybe it’s just me , but i only find myself using zoomies in flood mode. Only exception is my mtg2 zoomie. Big o hotspot on that guy.

Maybe just look for a p60 light with a smooth reflector if runtime is important. They accept 18650

Zuesray throws exactly the same as an X5 on an 1.5 Alkaline cell, 0 Meters:) Same tint too.
Get on the Bus Dale!

If I stand on TOP of the bus, can I throw em both the same distance? What, bout 30M on a good day?

Edit: My dad is the worlds worst for this sort of thing…. “I can throw both of those lights 300M easily! Be willing to bet ya!” Then when someone calls him on it, he drives up Pike’s Peak and throws the lights off the mountain where they travel about 500M bouncing and getting smashed all to He and gone. He wins both ways, they easily went over 300M, and they’re way down the mountain in the rocks so you can’t find em to measure the actual distance. pay up.

Edit II: Exactly my point Muto, the X5 was knocked for taking a 14500 cell, like that’s a bad thing. And the OP specified no mods, which leaves the de-dome out of the ZeusRay picture. The small aspheric lens makes a pretty huge square hot spot from a domed XM-L2, throw is not even really in the picture. Stock X5 against anything in it’s class, untouchable.

I don’t think the X5 was knocked for anything. It seems it’s been the favorite in this post. Based on what you guys have said, the X5 clearly performs better in terms of peak output, probably resulting in longer throw. My only preference is to be able to use NiMH if possible. What the T01 sacrifices in output and BLF tweaks is made up for by dual battery options.

The Astrolux X5 copper clone is also on a temporary sale which is taking all of my will power not to buy…. So…. Beautiful……
All the guts on this thing are the same as the BLF version right?

Yep, same light, different branding.

Polished, it’s unbelievably beautiful. :heart_eyes:

Like this little Sinner 18350 EDC Triple Nichia…