2023 best thrower recommendation

So, you recommended some amazing flashlights with constant high performance(X75, X-1), both have already arrived and I have little to complain about, I use them every day. The only thing with the ACEBEAM X75, in my opinion, is that it’s a must-have to purchase the X75-BP8 EXTRA BATTERY PACK 8*21700, because even when occasionally activating the turbo mode, you quickly lose the ability to use the high mode, simply put, when the battery is under about 50%, it won’t let you. But I’ve already solved that and ordered the battery pack, hoping it arrives tomorrow.

But that’s not why I’m here again. I would like to add a powerful thrower, ideally with reasonable dimensions (by reasonable dimensions, I mean something that can be carried in hand and doesn’t have to be hung over the shoulder). Currently, I have these throwers:
Klarus G35 (absolutely fantastic in terms of size vs. beam distance and performance! I like it.

Olight SR95 Intimidator SST-90 - unfortunately, a relic by today’s standards, huge dimensions and inadequate performance
Astrolux MF04 - probably also not a miracle by today’s standards :confused: Huge size, not so much performance

I’ve seen that there are now LEP flashlights, maybe it would be more effective to look for an LEP for this purpose? What throwers would you recommend? Ideally, I would like two:

1. Practical size, budget up to 100USD (doesn’t have to be EDC, but nothing huge, something carriable)
  2. Something top-of-the-line with a “range” of at least 2.5km, size without a strap max 500USD

Many thanks guys!

For LED smaller throwers (reflector about 40 mm): Convoy M21A with SFT40-W. Emisar D1 V2 with SFT40-W or Osram Boost HX. Emisar DM11 with same LEDs.

Medium throwers (reflector about 60 mm): Thrunite Catapult V6 (the original if you can find it, or the Pro), Noctigon K1, Wurkkos TS30S, Fenix HT18R (just tested it)

For LEPs under $100, pretty much nothing except the Natfire SF2. Its good for the price! Around 1500m throw, but it’s pretty basic and decent quality. I tested a brand called iTarlights, a 2x21700 thrower for about $200 that did nearly 2.8 km throw.

For about $500, the Weltool W4 Pro or W5. Maxtoch L2K or L3K, or the OwlEyes Pro (that one is a bit less portable). The new Acebeam W35 is cool too.

1 Thank

Noctigon K1 SFT40 5000K?

2.5km only LEP or proper HID, but way out of budget.
I wonder, will you be using binoculars to see what is illuminated at that range? :joy:

Acebeam k75. I also have the x75 8x21700 battery pack. I love it.

Does that battery pack fit K75?

Ill check right now. 1 sec

No

1 Thank

Yep, that’s my best thrower.
I like a thrower that will fit in my pocket, so I don’t know about larger throwers, except maybe the Convoy L-series with an SFT40 emitter (which I don’t own.) :grin:

1 Thank

Requirements (1) and (2) are not compatible with current technology. For (2) you must get a LEP/HID which is extremely expensive or large, and for (1) you can only get an LED. You won’t be able to surpass an ANSI range of around a mile with a $100 budget.

For a jacket pocket thrower try the Convoy L21B with SFT40, which runs a bit over $30 and has 1.2km of ANSI throw. You can’t do much better without significantly upping the size and budget.

I am looking for 2 lights, not one :–)

I already ordered Acebeam w35, thanks @Sirstinky , seems it will be okay for all my purposes :heart_eyes:

In my opinion, SBT 90.2 is the way to go.
For a smaller budget thrower Id reccomend convoy L21 A or B with either osram cslpm1.tg or sbt 90.2 for maximum throw.

Now for the large 2.5 km thrower there are a few options. However they vary in price. I personally have the amutorch dm90 and its amazing! Its about 250 USD. Its a chinese brand, However I dont see much wrong with them. I believe the battery pack has been updated to a sealed pack instead of a 3x21700 battery carrier because people would fry the flashlight using reverse polarity. If you want to spend more, the Ace beam K75 is a great thrower for about usd300. Consider the astrolux mf04 as you mentioned its a large size however similar to the ones mentioned. If you want to use your entire $500 budget, in trems of LED flashlights, nothing can beat the Astrolux Mf05 with 3.1km of throw or the giant BLF GT90. 2.7km of throw.

You seem worried about a large size. All the ones I have mentioned have a huge head with a parabolic reflector to direct the beam. Lep is much more compact, however the beam is rather concentrated to be useful. They have almost zero spill, think of it like a long range laser pointer.
I heard that any of the Max torch Xsword are decent long range LEPs. Around 2-3 km of throw depends on the exact model. The weltool W4 is also meant to be good, but also compact. Astrolux and ace beam make some really good options, you might want to consider them.

Now Id like to show you my own DM 90. I had it a while now, originally purchased it for nocturnal rabbit hunting with lurchers (spotlighting/lamping) and it works great! I own the older style model with removable batteries. Its a nice feature the carrier has usb C charger. The runtime is good in my opinion.

Now you mentioned size or weight is an issue. I personally dont mind lugging around the DM90 for a few hours. It has a nice carry handle to which I added my own shoulder strap which was made for petrol weed strimmers. Id say for a few bucks you can add a shoulder strap. Its a good add on.

One downside to the DM90 I found is the questionable UI. It has a stepped and ramping but you have to press and hold for off or it will just cycle modes. I have no issue with it because id be used to UIs, however its a nuisance that I cant hand over the light to amyone without first trying to expalin the UI.

Lol ya who would use binoculars for something like that lmao…

1 Thank

Sorry, I should have read more carefully. I hope the LEP serves you well!

1 Thank

Cool. I think you’ll like it. Someone mentioned the DM90. I have that one and its good too…but big.

1 Thank

Yes, Its HUGE, even with the 125mm head diameter. Definitely not a pocket thrower!

Did your BP-8 arrive for the X75?

How do you like it? How’s the feel/balance of the X75 with it installed?

Yes, it has arrived. I was just expecting and I think I also read in a review that having doublepack will reduce the load on each cell. I don’t know if that’s true or how it’s made inside, because just like with the supplied battery and the additional BP-8, somewhere between 30-50% remaining capacity, I can’t turn on HIGH or turbo mode. I understand turbo, but why not HIGH? I expected that with a double lower load, it would still be possible to use high mode even with a weaker battery.
Balance is better but nothing special, I am okay with both setups.

1 Thank

Thanks. Appreciate the info.

According to Acebeam, they recently made a few updates/running changes to the BP-8. Not sure if those updates will affect the step down points.

In the next few days I’ll be ordering one from a dealer who just received a fresh batch of BP-8’s from Acebeam. Will report back shortly thereafter.