21700 battery won't fit

Welcome to the forum, Ironcloud65! Sorry your first experience is frustrating. The Nitecore battery you got is a very good one but unfortunately just way too long. As mentioned above, “normal” factory cells are made to rather specific dimensions, and if aftermarket companies add things like tiny electronic protection circuits, button tops, usb charging boards, etc, then the length grows. If a flashlight is made to accommodate this, then good, but most are not and have a limited range of cell lengths that they can take. So you need a shorter cell.

The FT03 is a great light. It was mostly designed around 26650 cells - fatter and shorter than 21700. But it has just enough length inside when the springs at both ends of the tube are compressed that it can handle a standard 21700 also. That fit is pretty snug, however, and there just isn’t any extra room for cells with added stuff.

Two things to help you out a little. First is a link to Henrik’s excellent site where he tests lots of batteries for performance as well as chargers and other electronic gizmos. This is an article where he shows how a protected cell is put together. The visuals might make it easier to see why the Nitecore isn’t going to work.

Anatomy of a protected cell: The Anatomy of a Protected Battery
Disassembly of USB cell: Disassembly of USB charged batteries

Second is the numerical models of batteries. It’s all metric, and the cells are divided into two dimensions: diameter and length. So your 21700 cell - as a factory standard flat-top - will measure 21mm in diameter and 70mm in length. If you measure this yourself, eyeball it with a ruler but do not use metal slide calipers that will conduct electricity! Protect the jaws or use plastic/nylon ones…else sparks will fly and hopefully no more than that. :slight_smile: So that gives us a 21 and a 70….but an extra zero on the end. You can ignore that zero…theoretically it means that it’s designated as a round cell shape but I guess there was some debate about that (and at any rate you never see anything else on cells).

So….a 26650 which your light can also use and was mostly designed around, measures about 26mm in diameter and 65mm in length. Those are somewhere between a C and D cell, sizewise. Putting the 21700 cell in there means you need some kind of spacer so the skinnier cell doesn’t rattle (it should have come with a plastic tube….although mine back in the day came with one to fit the smaller 18650…not sure what they sell now). And then the extra length hopefully fits in the tube body when the springs are further squished.

I only have one protected 21700 cell and it measures 75.3mm. It will not fit in the FT03 - no way, no how. If you were to try extra hard to force the cap into starting to thread on the tube, it’s likely that one or both ends of that longer cell would get dented in (and that’s bad). All of my normal standard 21700 cells measure spot on 70mm or just a hair longer….they all fit but it’s snug and it takes a little more effort to start the tail cap than it does with the shorter 26650 in there. So….you need a standard flat-top cell for this light.

I don’t think Nitecore sells any standard cells as they have really shifted toward protected cells - often those will only add 3mm by themselves (i.e. no usb charging board added) but that’ll still be too long. So don’t let them encourage you to try another of their cells for your light. If you can get a refund on yours, that’d be great.

Here are some links from good respected suppliers for 21700 cells. It’s not super important as far as which one you choose for this light. Some have 4000mAh or 4200mAh capacity (which mostly equals run time) and some have 5000mAh. There’s a tradeoff between them for performance in some lights, but for the FT03 any will be ok really. I’ll link a few and you can compare pricing between sites. The Molicel brand has excellent ones, as do the big brands like Samsung and LG. Vapcell is a rewrapping company who doesn’t manufacture anything themselves, but they generally have great cells also (and some excellent ones). Compare total price with shipping…pick up a couple. Don’t bother with Amazon for these, though…they have shied away from loose lithium-ion cells and the ones they do still have are usually sub-par.

Aloft Hobbies: super nice folks, mostly hobby/RC instead of flashlights…decent prices but super cheap and fast shipping. Samsung 40T is the only 21700 they sell…it’s excellent: https://alofthobbies.com/inr21700-40t-4000mah-li-ion-flat-top-battery.html

Liion Wholesale: one of the best places, super price on the Molicel P42 - they’re a little low on stock right now with global conditions but they have some others to look at, too: Molicel/NPE INR-21700-P42A 4200mAh 21700 Battery - Authorized Dealer – Liion Wholesale Batteries

Illumn: great folks, used to be here on the forum a lot, reasonable with pricing and shipping, here’s the Samsung 50E which has more capacity than the 40T above, and still can handle what the FT03 asks of it: https://www.illumn.com/batteries-chargers-and-powerpax-carriers/batteries/21700-samsung-inr2170050e-5000mah-high-discharge-flat-top.html

IMR Batteries: great prices but they make you buy at least 2 at a time…they seem to have a lot in stock at the moment so here are a few links:
Samsung 50E: Samsung 50E 21700 5000mAh 9.8A Battery
Samsung 40T: Samsung 40T 21700 4000mAh 35A Battery
Molicel P42: Molicel P42A 21700 4200mAh 45A Battery | INR-21700-P42A

And since the FT03 has built in onboard charging, you definitely do not need a cell that has that feature. Good old normal battery and a usb cable and you’re all set. If you want to get a normal separate li-ion battery charger, most of us prefer those for various reasons but the charging circuit in this flashlight is good and dependable, so no real need.

Wall of text and links but I hope this helps you. I think you’ll love that light. Kinda large but it’s impressive and easy to use…still one of my favorites.

(and a side note, there’s another muuuch larger battery available if you ever decide you want a lot longer run time from this light on high (or in any mode). Those are 26800 cells. You have to order the longer battery tube for the light from Banggood for around $10 with a coupon (on this site), and then the bigger cells are available from Aloft Hobbies. They’re really impressive…adds weight and length, though.)

1 Thank

That was the first line of his signature box…people customize those as part of their visible profiles. BlueSword did a lot of testing and research and eventually had some custom springs manufactured for high-power flashlight use and offered them for sale to us folks. Later, some manufacturers adopted the idea and started using similar better springs in their lights. BLF has done a lot of things like that which have improved flashlights/manufacturers for all of us over the years. The FT03 was something similar when it was developed. :slight_smile:

Thank you for explaining!! :smiling_face:

I am sooo excited for the recommendations. I appreciate your efforts in finding some suggestions. Thank you!!

1 Thank

Oh, so that’s what Ironcloud65 meant “By my very own”

I honestly had no idea what he/she meant honestly.

Yeah: before me, I think only Emisar were using BeCu springs in their lights. After I did a lot of work and iterated on stuff, I think some manufacturers noticed it and likely saw the large benefit and likely decided to use similar designs.

It’s actually why some are now using Getian LEDs in their products actually.

So will this battery fit into my flashlight? Not too long?

INR21700-40T 4000mAh Li Ion Flat Top Battery

@Ironcloud65, it will fit no problem, yes.

Yep, that Samsung 40T will fit just fine. It’s a standard factory cell…70mm. I have several of them…now running those giant 26800 cells in the FT03 but I had the 40T in there a lot previously.

Pretty much all normal cells are the factory standard dimensions (or they may only be like 71mm max). It’s when someone tacks on those protection boards or usb that they grow longer. Sometimes the diameter does grow a little, depending on how thick the plastic wrapper is, but that’s usually fine.

You’re welcome…glad to help. It can sure be confusing if you’re new to all this, but it’s all easy to learn. :slight_smile:

Also, just so you know, the Astrolux brand name is only sold by Banggood. But Banggood is a giant retailer like Walmart and they don’t really make the lights. They are usually made by a manufacturer in China named Mateminco (and you can find the exact same FT03 light under the Mateminco brand name by a different model number). The firmware programmed into this light was made by our own forum member TomE years ago. Narsil is a good firmware although later our Toykeeper made Anduril firmware(s) that have taken over for the most part.

Yes, that’s perfect. Welcome!

Awesome!!

how did it go , do u enjoy the light?

Ironcloud65 please note, if you use a 21700 instead of the 26650 battery you may get some battery rattle due to the smaller battery diameter.
This can be easily solved by putting 2 (two) O-rings around the 21700 battery before installation. This will keep the battery centered in the tube.

Hi again. I have 2 of the Samsung INR21700-40T 4000mAh Li Ion Flat Top Batteries in my cart at Aloft Hobbies. Could you possibly suggest a charger for these batteries? I’d like to buy them all at the same time.

I like the Nitecore UM4.

It's pretty good, and inexpensive, but it doesn't charge all that quickly.

It can handle cells up to 79mm long.

The UM2 and UMS2 also accept cells that long.

Banggood carries these chargers, but I don't know if they still offer the best deal.

1 Thank

Oh no!! That’s a little concerning. I’m trying to keep this as simple as possible. I’m going to have to find a 26650 :frowning:

I haven’t been able to use it yet. I found some 21700 batteries but not a charger for them. But I was told that a 26650 battery will fit in the flashlight better. Any suggestions for 26650 batteries and a charger?

@Ironcloud65

Charger: https://www.illumn.com/vapcell-s4-plus-3a-battery-analyzer-li-ion-nimh-nicd-charger.html
26650: https://www.illumn.com/26650-keeppower-uh2655-imr26650-5500mah-flat-top.html
21700: https://www.illumn.com/21700-molicel-4200mah-inr21700p42a-45a-high-discharge-flat-top.html

I usually wouldn’t recommend Illumn for battery purchases, but they’ve got the S4 Vapcell charger in stock as well as a cheaper(but slightly lower capacity) 26650 and free shipping above 75$US for US purchases.

Looks like the only charger they have that isn’t full-on battery-pack-builder nerd level is the Xtar MC2 for $6.10. That’s a really simple charger but as Henrik reviewed it, it does a good job and it’s safe. Just a dummy light to change from red to green. It would do the job just as well as the onboard usb charging in the flashlight. The only slight downside, since it’s an older model the cell bays only fit around 71mm according to him (he measures leaving a little wiggle room)…so it will fit factory flat tops like you’re buying but it won’t fit the Nitecore cell you bought. (Aloft does always give you a piece of chocolate and a cool condor sticker in the box, however….heh).

https://alofthobbies.com/xtar-mc2.html

If you have interest in a charger that might tell you a little more information about what’s going on, like voltage levels and charging current, those can be pretty inexpensive, but it’ll have to come from somewhere else. Amazon usually has lots to choose from there. Or, at Illumn you can get the 40T or Molicel P42 for the same 8.99 price, and they have several good chargers. They also give us a 5% discount if you enter code “blfuser” at checkout (not much but it helps).

Xtar X2 for $14.50, well rated by Henrik and will handle all of your li-ion or NiMH cells up to…77.3mm! I think you can cram the Nitecore cell in there if you keep that one. https://www.illumn.com/batteries-chargers-and-powerpax-carriers/chargers/xtar-x2-li-ion-ni-mh-dual-bay-smart-quick-charger.html

They also have the Xtar VP2, which won’t do NiMH batteries but it does have settings for li-po cells if those are in your life…very good charger but a little more limited around the house and only 70mm length (fine for the factory flat tops). $18.69. https://www.illumn.com/batteries-chargers-and-powerpax-carriers/chargers/xtar-vp2-li-ion-lifepo4-3-6v-4-2v-4-35v-charger.html

There’s a Folomov A2 that’s also good. And if you wanted to get a 4-bay charger and/or spend more…plenty to choose from.

I looked at Liion Wholesale and if you want to do just one cart/purchase it doesn’t look like they’re a good choice at the moment.

The Nitecore UM-x chargers RC mentioned are good ones but they don’t seem to be widely available from US sellers. However……Xtar has a newer VC2L (L for longer) that will handle up to 78mm cells and is about $17 on Amazon…seems like a pretty good deal all around if you don’t mind two purchases (and/or despise Amazon, I guess). https://www.amazon.com/XTAR-Display-Battery-Charger-326501-2V/dp/B07G9915ZZ/

A 26650 cell would be fine, too….generally the 21700 cells are better performing since those have gotten a lot of manufacturing attention where the old 26650 is nearly stagnant and only made by Chinese companies (the major players never made these at all). There are some good ones still, but I’d stick with 21700.

Is all that too much, confusing at all? lol :slight_smile:

Analysis paralysis…

1 Thank

On the size choice….really either one is ok. I think someone mentioned above that you can use a couple of thin o-rings around a 21700 cell to take up the space in the tube……if the plastic adapter tube that comes with the light is still sized for the smaller 18650 cells. You can just put the 21700 in there and use the light, too, and since that light has a large plastic insulation disc at the upper spring there’s no risk of shorting out the battery after a good knock or drop. Spring tension will pretty much hold it in place just fine. The tube was sized for 26650 cells, yes, but it’s fine to use the others. The Keeppower model that BlueSword linked to is a very good one…and that 4-bay S4 charger as well, if you want to spend that much.

Options…we got options…all the options you can shake a lithium lamb’s tail at.