2x18650 zoom host - build suggestions?

I recently acquired an Ultrafire 2x18650 zooming lens host with a failed driver. You may see these all over eBay with HWA/WYS printed above the Ultrafire logo. While I hate to give up the 20000 lumen XM-L T6 stock performance (ha!) I’m sure there are more fun things to be done with this light. The driver board and the LED star are standard sizes or close enough to work. The pill in the head is hollow, but I will have a filler plug made which will press-fit to create a solid mount for the LED star. Not great, but functional with reasonable driver current I assume.

There are many choices and builds to review for a single 18650 cell light, but not many for two 18650s in series. I’m interested in setting up a decently bright light using the higher voltage of the two cells (most likely will have protected cells in this application which will limit current). Without spending a fortune, what are your suggestions for an emitter and a driver? I’ve been looking at some of the 6V LEDs or even the 4 LEDs together in the center of a PCB as seen on eBay (6V). What looks interesting?

Thanks!

you will need a 17mm or 20mm Driver with a Coil, this one good for most cree leds (can power only one Led) , the input voltage of the driver is from 3.7v (single cell) to 8.4v (two cells) and the output voltage ranges from 2-3.7V which can power single cell Leds like the XML/XPL etc

I Think you’ll find a better Driver in Lexel’s thread