3 lights in mind..

Yes sir. It sure does. I appreciate it though

Have you considered 16340? But I should let the experts handle this!! Hehe sorry I only has 18650 lights :confused:

A 16340 is physically the same size as a cr123, so it might work well in the weaponlight and edc, but I would recommend something that takes a normal 18650 for your duty light. For people new to li-ons, I always recommend against running them in series.

I completely agree with your sentiments about your weapon light whereas never compromise what you feel most confident with.

That said...unless SL specifically tells you the light can handle the voltage of two 16340 cells...don't do it. They will give you the voltage ranges if you ask. At the same time it should not matter that light will not be on 100% of the time and should be on a rotation anyway (tossing out the old batteries)

As for EDC and duty lights....you are on a budget forum. Many of our lights come direct from overseas, including Fenix and Nitecore. The savings is considerable but warranty after the initial purchase warranty is a PITA and often not worth it BUT the savings is usually that great.

I do not know all of Fenix offerings but I do know the PD35. The new PD35 Tac is worth looking into. I would also look at the Nitecore MH12 rechargeable, Nitecore P10 and P12, and because you mentioned many AA rechargeables at home ........ let's look at the Nitecore EA11 and the SRT 3.

If you decide that you want any of those just pm and I will be happy to direct you the the best source.

edit: oops...add the Sunwayman G25C for $35 to the list or the V11R (??) for $40

You’ve got a good list, I’m also a LEO. So lets go down the list.
1st the Streamlight ProTac can be had here Streamlight ProTac HL USB Rechargeable Flashlight or here https://www.botach.com/streamlight-88052-protac-hl-usb-rechargeable-850-lumen-led-flashlight/ For the batteries I would get http://www.batteryjunction.com/1pcencr3voph.html It’s 18650 is not compatible with another 18650. It’s battery has 2 contacts on one side and one on the other and is only 2600 mah current 18650’s are running 3400 mah.

2nd the Streamlight TLR1 HL is the best weapon light out there. I prefer it over the Surefire. It just slides on easier, brighter.

3rd Protac 1 or 2L, these lights are a little date brighter and/or better are out there.

Two things to remember if you get into rechargeable batteries is the rechargeable cr123a’s (RCR123A’s) only have about 600 mah, non rechargeable carry 1500 mah’s. Only use Panasonic base batteries, NEVER BUY ultrafire, spiderfire of any other @#$^fire batteries, most are garbage and many are relabeled recycled trash.

Lots of other great lights to pick from so hang around here and you’ll pick up what’s what. Lots of hobbyist here and a few forget you need a 100% light not a 99% light. From my experience I would look at http://www.armytek.com/ as the best alternative. These light are tough and always on high when the head is tight. Loosen the head about a 1/8 turn and you get mode selection. They run on cr123’s or 18650’s and these are about the best Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA Protected 3500mAh and this charger http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=79&product_id=231 It’s not the fastest charger just one of the best all around. Two batteries should be more than enough, even a long shift of traffic control hasn’t drained a fresh battery.

I don't have any experience with the TLR1 HL so I can't say for sure, but many lights that take a single 18650 (4.2v) or two CR123 primaries (6v), cannot take two 16340 (8.4v) and I can't recommend you try to find out due to the price of the light if you burn out the driver.

Like Texas Shooter said, Armytek lights a great alternative and are tough as nails. I wouldn't hesitate carrying them if my life depended on it. No light is 100% and any light can fail at any time for multiple reasons. Usually the switches go and even Surefire switches fail.

To me, buying a light just because of the warranty doesn't mean much when it breaks on you and has to be sent in for repairs. You will likely wait at least 2-4 weeks to get it back and in the mean time you don't have it. By buying a less expensive but nearly reliable light, you can afford to buy 3-5 of them for what you paid for the single expensive light. If it breaks you have extras ready to go immediately. If a switch fails on you it's a 2 minute job to switch it out yourself for just a couple of dollars and you are good as new again. I can see how some folks can't perform even the simplest of repairs and just aren't comfortable buying a light that can't be repaired under warranty so I can almost understand why they buy a light that cost 3 times as much as a light with less of a warranty but is just as good or better. "Almost" being the key word as I'd just rather have 3 lights that work than 1 light with a lifetime warranty. Besides, after just a few years that lifetime warranted light will be outdated and you will want a different one anyway. ;)

I did not even think about the ArmyTek offerings only because I do not have any. Shooter and JM are 100% correct in that they are cream of the crop and reasonable as compared to Surefire and Streamlight.

I've never owned any Surefire products but I have owned Streamlight. 15 years ago I was one of those that felt it was one of the greatest out there. Then like everything else things change. While SL still makes a 'good' light they have rested on their laurels and have fallen behind the pack. There are many better and much more affordable options out there. So much so that you can often get 2 and sometimes 3 for the price of one.

Failure rate is just as important to me as it is to you. Today I am a mechanic for one of the largest theme parks in the world and when I need my light I need it without fail. I have been a mechanic my whole life but as an automotive professional and business owner I spent many many years on the street (towing and repos). I understand the 'need'.

No matter what I would still recommend the backup necessities even if it just rides around. No different then spare mags in the bag (not just the belt). You can't carry spare cruisers or radios but lights, batteries, and mags are 'just in case extras'.

Another analogy is the .45. Colt was the standard and sometimes still is but there are others now that are just as good like Sig and not junk like the Llama.

Sorry but to clarify a point. When I speak of 100% over 99%, I’m speaking of critical equipment that is going to be used NOW. These points in time are not a two minute switch repair in a dark alleyway or fixing an extractor in a fire fight. I am a strong advocate of the 2 is 1, 1 is none mentality.

Ok I will look into all the lights mentioned. So it sounds like for my WML I have to stick with standard cr123s so get what batteries for that? Rotation will be upon use to a point but is there a recommendation otherwise?

Right now I am using an older Stinger LED. Not very bright as newer lights obviously. It is rechargable. I do NOT like how if I’m on a corner the light just has a very wide…spread? Unsure of the flashlight term. Flood maybe? Anyways it lights up the corner, me and just isn’t concentrated enough to safely “hide”

The spread is called "spill". You are looking for something of a "thower" (for distance) ...but more accurately "a narrow beam". Most of my stuff is close range so floody is what I usually look for, save for my PD35...which is still floody compared to a SL Strion...which "I" dislike BUT maybe just what "you" need (eating my words as I type)

I stand behind the quality of the lights I have listed...and given some time I may even be able to get you beam shots of all of those that I have listed (I only have a phone camera)...but I do not own any ArmyTek units. I am NOT a LEO and Tex and JM most likely will have better suggestions for the "little things" that will matter to a LEO. We also have other LEO's here so you may want to change or add to the thread title to get as many opinions as possible.

Oh yeah....I know a little late....Welcome!!

I am still deciding on the duty light. However, for what I am wanting in an EDC the streamlight still seems to be the one for me. I don’t want anything with a zoom or twist. Just a high/low with momentary and constant. Plus I like the size of it. I wish it would tail stand though. I am love to other light ideas. Everything I look at just seems to have more than what I am asking for in an EDC light