3-mode Zoom AA/1450 EXPIRED ! "Black" $1.99 Max 3ea

US $2.69 + Shipping Cost
Appears to be the same thing with a one mode driver. Not clear if it takes AAs. Maybe they left out the boost driver. Brand is listed as OEM, which I guess means one can resell it under his own brand.

They also have 3 modes called MK18 for US$ 3.41 + Shipping Cost.

I've been putting mine thru the ringer since buying it from wallbuys for 1.99.

I used an old lumens trick and cut horizontal grooves in the head every 1/4 inch or so with a pipe cutter to give it more grip .Then I filed the groves a little wider with a small set of files to clean up the groves .Filed grooves in the tailcap ..I dedomed it with a razor blade which gave it a lot more throw....then I filed down the bottom of the Head to get the lens closer to the emitter and gained a bunch more flood ..5ft wide beam at 4ft distance .. Lastly i went at it pretty hard with course sandpaper and finished it with a wire brush .Not close to being finished as there is still a hint of gold color .It still needs some resistance mods ..tint is better and overall it's an improvement .I like the fact it deserves no respect and isn't getting any .It looks better in "wire brushed almost silver" than the ugly gold .

Which versions of this have a solid pill, if any? Any way to identify them?
Maybe by how much they weigh?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mini-300-Lumens-CREE-XM-L-Q5-LED-Focus-Zoomable-Bike-Flashlight-Torch-Lamp-/201078772945?pt=US_Night_Lights&var=&hash=item2ed13a94d1

Says they are “XM-L” now. (sure they are wrong!)

I've been dropping in XM-L2's and XP-G2's on Noctigons -- outstanding little torch. Everyone loves them - did the Fritz the Cat trick with grinding down the zoom slide so it gets a much bigger flood and increases lumens output, as I measured -- just outstanding even with the stock driver. Plan is to build up the OSHPark 15's, but have to check size... So much better than a SK68, in my opinion... I got in a few more, just no time to mod them all. Just ordered 3 more too, from BangGood here, $9.16 for qty 3 after 'blf' coupon.

I cannot recommend banggood version…

Comment links don't work for me anymore - just get a blank page. What's the post # in that thread? I'm interested. Crap - actually I think I got 3 BG ones on order... Oops - it worked 2nd time now... Ok - I see, ohh shoot!!! Maybe I'll get lucky and they will get lost - maybe a refund? Smile It's not high qual for sure, but it does sound like BG has an even cheaper version...

A friend just got a UF S5 from FT - cheap 18650 tube light, but man, did they cheapen that light same way - hollow pill, actually totally different cheaper pill than all the other cheap S5's I got... Cheap is going to a whole new level, but the prices aren't any cheaper.

I like these little lights better than the sipik sk68 because they have much fewer sharp edges ,...are much smaller and a lot lighter .With a battery they are 50 grams .VS. a sk68 which is 85 grams w/battery.

Cutting the Head down is simple and makes a big difference ...so does de-doming the xpe..

Overall a good little "must have" budget light

Currrap! Got my 3 silver ones from BG today -- yes chief, they are the same as yours, one mode, hollow pill. The rest look ok so far on the outside - need to look into them further. I tore one apart right away. I could probably get some copper under a Noctigon star - maybe it will be better than the better stock ones then.

Got the BG one too but having trouble removing the pill. Any tips? I’m assuming it just twists off from the front so I took some needle nose pliers and tried to unscrew it. It turned three times and not it won’t budge. How are you getting it out?

Make sure there's no cell in the light because they give pressure to the pill. Yes, basically you unscrew (CCW)from the lens end. Not sure, might have had to add drill holes to use a needle-nose -- can't recall. If it jams, try tightening it back up and play with it - may be getting cross-threaded. It's all cheap stuff.

Ohhh - the hollow pill versions are actually a different host in several areas. Compared side by side, you can see little changes. One good thing is they got the lens closer to the emitter so you don't need to sand down the slider to get a bigger area in flood mode. Another thing is the lens is now protected by being more recessed when sitting it lens down - with the older model, many times sitting it down on the table would make contact with the lens, marking it up.

So far, got one good one with a solid pill — really liked it, modded very well.
So I bought more — now up to four that came with hollow pills.
Not a bargain at the lottery on this variety.

You probably think too much on the hollow pill. It’s a small light with low current, major bottleneck is on the lack of heatsinking mass and fins - it’s a tradeoff for being tiny and cheap.

I seriously doubt hollow/solid pill makes any difference on this light.

Ones I got with hollow pill have some better features - wider flood for example. Looking closely some mods to the design.

I’m not thinking, I’m practicing.

The solid pill makes all the difference for me— it supports (and perfectly centers) the emitters I most like: luxeon Rebel PC emitters in a variety of colors, on a 10mm square Sinkpad2.

That drops into the circle cutout on the pill for these little lights, leaving the wire holes clear and the emitter centered.

On a hollow pill, only the corners of the square, not the entire surface, make contact at the rim — not useful.
Yeah, I can stuff a copper disk into the hole, raising the emitter a bit (loses the precise focus but improves the flood).

A thick star will do a lot to distribute the heat in a narrow light. In a wider light, when putting in a thin star, I epoxied a slightly narrower plate behind it, doubling its thickness without changing the focus.

> plate behind it

Yep, doing that now. 14.2mm diameter copper disks, tedious to cut and file by hand, to back up the 10mm square Rebels

But these cost more than a buck apiece:: This item is unavailable - Etsy
anyone got a better source for little round copper disks that fit these lights?

I have some of the 10mm square Rebels on Sinkpad2 to try next). Ready To Light High-Power LED Modules

CK made me some drivers (same diameter as the SK68 driver)
and these little zoomies really do work very well.
But it’s embarassing how many I have accumulated playing the lottery and losing.

Well, they’re good gifts, they do wow people, tiny and bright, better than the SK68s I think.

Use the "bopper" on etsy - best prices and if can't find something you want listed, just ask her - she gets back to you pretty quick.

Here's one listing of hers: https://www.etsy.com/listing/62082177/copper-discs-20-gauge?ref=shop_home_active_13

I've bought a ton of rounds from her in different sizes and thickness's -- first recommended by O-L Smile.

I asked my brother if he had any shell casings that were 12.3 mm. in diameter, but no. I think of asking for copper or silver of a useful size when I pass a coin store, but probably out of my budget. I took the skin off my finger filing the coatings off an old 20 mm. star mcpcb then filed it from 20 mm. to 18 or 19 mm. to fit the hollow of the pill. Your etsy link looks good.
Added: Diameters in furlongs :Sp .

I am disappointed that I haven’t seen any of these in local stores yet. I do see very cheap lights with a power led instead of a lot of 5 mm. leds, but no cheap zoomies yet.