3000K 90cri XHP50.3 in my Wizard Pro

Hey BLF, this is my first post here. I usually post my mods on reddit because they’re not all that interesting anyway. With the exception being my 1800K LT1 which was only interesting because it was annoying.

Mouser had some 3000K 90cri XHP50.3 in stock so I decided it was a good time to rip the ugly emitter out of my Wizard PRO.

I managed to reflow it without desoldering the pcb by heating the body up with my airgun for a while then pointing it directly at the old led. I know this isn’t ideal but I was 90% sure that I wasn’t going to F it up. I can’t fully reassemble just yet because I’m waiting on new glass to come in.

Beamshot wb locked @ 4300K

old emitter

new emitter

new emitter no optic

beamshot of new emitter with old optic

beamshot of new emitter with new optic (Carclo 10195)

opple reading of new emitter with old optic

opple reading with new emitter new optic

wow that is very impressive.

Nice lux improvement. I've bought and enjoy a number of those Carclo single emitter optics.

Fyi. It'd probably be better to post something like this in the what have you modded today? conversation here:

They’re nice little optics for sure. You’re right, I should have posted there. I kind of forgot that thread existed lol

Thanks to your post, I sent an inquiry to Mouser. I put a 6V XHP50 behind an optic in a S21A and it's good for at least 50 yards on high. But a light with 2x 18350s, for me, is better around the house. I'd like to get some 16mm or 20mm reflowed, 5000K and lower CCTs in a 3V version.

I like the looks of the second picture (“new emitter”) over the ones with optics added. Not sure how you accomplished that, but if it were me, I would have been satisfied with that. I seem to be becoming more ‘color’ conscious as I progress in this world of flashlight selection. I purchased a Pioneman K36 in XHP70.2 3000K, and to be quite honest, I find myself becoming more and more enamored with the tint of this emitter. It is absolutely stellar as a ceiling bouncer, and very pleasant indoors regardless of ambient light. I definitely prefer OP reflectors for non-throwy applications. I have an S2+ 219B 4500K that came with a smooth reflector and it was horrible…ringy with a donut hole beam. I swapped an OP reflector in and it’s like night and day. Much more enjoyable now with a smooth and artifact free beam profile.

Wish the XHP50.3 would have been an option in my K36. I really like the hotspot in your sample. Nice work.

Hjeh, and most peoples’ first posts here are along the lines of “What’s The Best flashlight I should get?”…

Noice! :laughing:

I hope you have fun here, HometownHoagie!

In my old hometown, one of my favorite fast food joints was Hoagie's Heroes.

I'm sure no one has ever heard of that place.

@TIFisher the first new emitter shot was with the old optic. It did look good but that optic caused the emitter to be significantly above bbl. The new optic kept it under. I’m not super worried about the tint of most of my light - I just want them to be warmer than 4000K

@Lightbringer - I like to do tons of research and reading when I dive into a hobby. I got all of beginner answers by reading tons of others suggestions lol

@raccoon city - Hoagies Heroes sounds like it was probably situated in middle to north Jersey. Am I right? Around me, we have a very old hoagie shop that claims to have invented the word.

Uh...

Nope.

It was in Porterville, California, but I think they closed their business for good some years ago.

Porterville is a small town in central California that no one has heard of.

I think Hoagy Carmichael actually invented it.

Hmm, interesting. I really like when I see the word “hoagie” outside of the Philly area.

It could have been invented by the world famous wrestler, Hulk Hoagie

Thanks for sharing! The tint looks great. Did you measure without optics? Can you post a link to the emitter you bought? Thanks.