3rd Annual BLF Contest - DBSAR's "End Of The World Light" -UPDATES-5 /09/09/2015

Very nice!
Could you take pictures of the works, especially the burner?

just a photo of the burner/mantle head i used? i can if you wish. I believe it originally came from a 1950’s - 60’s Coleman 236 or 237 model, but unsure is it was a loose part in my junk bins for a few years.
EDIT: the burner head is the part in inset-image #4 in the below pic:

Wheres RBD when you need him?

Took me a few minutes to figure out who RBD was. :stuck_out_tongue: currently in the garage working on this build right now. I just finished building the LED flashlight part, and now making mounting brackets and more parts.

Wow DB, I am SOOOOOOOO impressed.

Seriously that is the most beautiful hand made lantern I have ever seen, and it rivals any production one I have seen.

I totally love retro early 18-1900s brass tech, and this looks very much like it to me. What an involved process too.

"image #5 – in order to be able to make this unit a true multi-fuel burner, i will need to add a Pre-Heater cup to the generator tube. as i never had any spare salvaged cups in the lantern & stove junk boxes, i had to make one out of, well more brass fittings. "

This is such a deviation from what we see all day as well. A multi fuel gas lantern.

I wanted to build a very retro looking LED lantern for my project this year because I have always wanted one, but to be honest I am quite glad I went with something else for the contest. I am afraid I would have been embarrassed when comparing it with your work of art.

Thanks for sharing man.

Thanks for the comments VB.
Building projects like this has been a passion, and always a push to see how i can better my work and how far i can re-engineer a design principle, while making the builds as practical, usable, functional as possible, and while keeping some appearance aesthetics. ( though sometimes they end up costing me over the planned budget, and take much more work and time to build with old-school hand tools as in this case, but the results are much more rewarding than having machines build it.

It will take me a while and some guidance to figure out how that works. #1 looks like the pump on a Colman lantern. It pressurizes the fuel tank with air.
Does it use mantels, or are those assumed not to be available after the end of the world?

Mantles are easy to find in any hardware store, outdoor store, Amish & Mennonite stores, farming stores, online, and even in many country general stores and gas stations around most anywhere. (i recently picked up a box of 100 2-packs for 30 bucks, so i have a lifetime supply.) if you don’t break them they last for years. before im finished, the plate on the bottom of this build will be a storage place for lots of extra mantles, extra Li-ion cells, NiMH cells, tools, etc. for the build.

* UPDATES in the OP - ( from the ” Updates #4 ” and down, showing the LED Li-Ion Flashlight completed and in use. More photos coming soon of the lantern to be used this weekend coming at a camp, using both LED Li-ion mode, and using various fuels for the lantern and charging the Li_Ion cells.

This is incredible..... :beer:

i see now that you will use solar panels for charging the batteries, i didn’t really understand that earlier.
awesome build anyway! i’m impressed by all the various parts coming together in such a clever way!

Beamshots of the Flashlight will come soon too.

I see it’s an egg laying pig that gives milk, but beautiful.

Doesn’t look like he needs any help from a duck. I love the knowledge base this springs from

Yes, it is the sort of thing A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court might have built, with a bit of 21st Century experience and parts. It looks like DBSAR would be able to improvise everything else to rebuild civilization after it was destroyed, also.

It's got to be one of the most innovative and intricate lights I have ever seen. Amazing work. What a group of awesome innovators this forum has.

Thanks OL. :slight_smile: Its always good to hear comments from a master like yourself. I usually always end up diving over my head on projects and builds when i start them. I usually plan something more simpler, but once i get started i begin to add ideas and keep going until it gets really complicated, but keep pushing until i reach my goal.

Beamshots, photos of it in use at the Camp, and more detailed explanation coming this weekend when its more completed.

Updates & beam shots on the OP. :slight_smile: ( - more updates & photos to come shortly.

An amazing creation. Like your last build this should be in a museum not used out in the bush.

Thanks :slight_smile: it looks quite intricate and like something from Davinci’s workshop, but as last years build its intended to be used and serve many functions.