<4" 18650 lights

Nitecore has talent for good UIs (D10 is a classic), I’d take MH20’s UI over Anduril any time.

Thanks for the info WLE

i mean it was fine til it broke :slight_smile:

i liked the feel of it

then it started getting mushy and glitchy
about a week later it completely broke

i;m famous for dropping lights but this was not a dropping issue

wle

But if the light and that “one-off UI” ticks all the boxes, even newer stuff doesn’t knock it off the top of the hill.

yes = another reason to like anduril. no more learning yet one more one-off

though to be fair it does not work on 1 cell alkaline voltages yet

i think because the little processor has to have more volty-volts than 1.5

wle

+1 on the Folomov 18650s! It was my first 18650 flashlight, and its still one of my favorites! Best tint in my bunch. Although i have a 2000k d4v2 on the way that might change my mind :slight_smile:

I have one on the way, should be here this week... im looking forward to it. It checks a lot of my boxes !

[quote=Penny wise but Lumen foolish]

I have one on the way, should be here this week… im looking forward to it. It checks a lot of my boxes !<
Awesome! I think you will love it! Its my favorite light for walking my dog… very easy and intuitive UI, nice moonlight mode, and it does have strobe but i like that in my outside walking light! Give an update when you get it :slight_smile:

I don’t know about the current DQG, but I hope their quality has improved. I bought the original 18650 Tiny (two of them) direct from them as part of a group buy here in BLF. These are twisty lights, which is rare and cool in the 18650 world.

The design and general performance is great, but quality sucked big time and they were dreadful to deal with. Ended up having to break one of them and make a mongrel out of the two examples, just to get something that worked. And it is still sketchy on mode changing. Really puts me off buying anything else of theirs, plus the lies and deception trying to get it sorted. Which never really was. Guess that’s why I’ve not bothered with any of their other lights.

The Zebralight is pretty amazing considering its dimensions and a switch. Performs great, but pricey. And there seems to be a few question marks over the company at present. Although I hope they survive.

I’ve included an AA D25A EagleTac just to show how small the Zebralight and DQG are.

The only other compact 18650 I have is the Manker U11. Not sure this is available. It showed lots of promise, but is cool white and not a very good tint. But the sticking point is the dreadful UI this one has. It really is horrendous. And I’d never have bought it, had I realised how bad it was. The sidelight on the switch is also a complete gimmick and really quite annoying.

I hear someone mention the KR1. It is compact for its dimensions, i.e. big reflector and a thrower. But it is quite chunky for EDC. But just about doable. And a Convoy S2+ for reference.

I had a Camp D4(?), which was probably the shortest 18650 light I had at the time, but while the hardware was fantastic, there was something about the UI that just bugged me. HML instead of LMH, blinkies in the main cycle, something that was a dealbreaker.

Night Provision TX8. It’s almost identical to the steel gray Folomov 18650s which has better threads than the black 18650s. So no advantage over the gray. Both are hold for off except when in tactical mode then click on click off.
Wowtac A6. A little under 4 inch. The cool has a strange yellow color. I haven’t seen a review of the NW. Good UI but small button. Micro usb charging. I wouldn’t recommend either.
If you already have the FW1A, not the pro, then you’re not going to find a better 4x1 inch light.

manker U11 is an even worse switch design

the rubber cover comes off
but with it is a metal dome that is part of the switch
that gets lost then the switch does not work
even if it does not come off, you cannot put the dome back - it is only possibly when the driver is not in place
but the driver is glued in
the switch is definitely surface mounted, and weird non standard switch used

i didn;t even use that one very much

the 2 worst switches ever
dqg tiny 18650 and manker u11

wle

The Camp D4 does look like a great size, bummer about the annoying UI! Have you found something you like better?

Ya missed the whole MH20 part of this thread?

Still the reigning king of my pocket. Wait…

Thanks for the info and the pic chicken drumstick, very helpful to see the sizes

Thanks Oli, that TX8 sure looks an awful lot like the Folomov...I wonder if they're rebranding quality control fails and selling them at a lower price ??

The problem with the TX8 and the Folomov is the click to change modes and hold for off. It’s like driving on the wrong side of the road. When you change them to the single mode then it’s click on click off. That’s great if you want a single mode light. And I do use the TX8 for bang around dirty jobs in the single mode , tactical as they call it, configuration. It’s very compact and it’s got a nice tail switch. It steps down after a minute and never gets hot. So for indoor use or outdoor if you don’t need to see a long ways it works nice. No issues with quality other than the lanyard holes are sharp. Likely made in the same factory with slightly different tooling on the outside just for a different label.

I have a YLP Unicorn 1.0 that measures out at 102mm - maybe a smidge over 4 inches. Nice LH351 LED with 90 CRI. TIR optic makes a nice smooth hotspot. Button is reasonably well recessed and not too badly placed on the side of the head. There’s a couple of review on BLF (this one: bmengineer is the one that sold me). There used to be a coupon code but I think it expired at the end of 2020.

I have a DQG tiny and read the worries about the weak switch , I used a nylon washer and clipped a flat into it so the switch is supported by that flat, with the washer fitting snuggly inside the head ,see picture.

The TIR fits into the middle of the washer and the stainless ring all screws back on fine , no change to beam.

Also fitted some defusion film , for me this made the beam much nicer taking away tint shift and ringyness.

Nice mod Sivy, thanks for sharing!