4*AA Light Under $50??

That light runs 4 NiMh's??? (Sorry if I missed a thread on this one.)

Oh, and that Starry Light does seem interesting!

-Garry

I feel like i am becoming a shill for Sunwayman, but how did this thread go 19 posts without one mention of the D40A?!?

It’s my personal 4AA favorite, if not most used light on my shelf. I own two.

It can routinely be found for around $50 - even if the list is around $70.

OOps! Sorry, I’m wrong again! Don’t know where my head is lately.

For full disclosure the Starry Light has PWM on the lower modes for those who are susceptible to that. Here are some quick partial disassembly photos I haven't figured out or used brute force to get into the driver yet, apologies for the low quality.

Head, held in place with a retaining ring.

Retaining ring removed

Reflector unscrews.

Easy access to LED.

Nice! Thanks Calvin!

-Garry

Thanks Calvin! Nice pictures!

How bad is it (the PWM)? Does it have mode memory? And how is the heat dissipation on high mode?

Love my StarryLight.
Didnt really notice the PWM—but been using it on high.
Definately one of the top values in my torch collection !

How long do batteries last on high?
Does it seem as bright as a 2.8A li ion powered light (assuming you have one to compare it to)?

http://www.hidcanada.com/collections/daily-deals/products/fenix-ld40

the e40 has more throw and is about the same price, maybe less

I wish there was a source in Europe for that starry light. It seems really nice. I cant wait untill someone does a full review on it. Seems like a great beater light for non-lithium people that use light all the time. One could probably sell quite a few of them here.

I have one of these, and it performs just fine. Nice and bright, but I’ve never compared it to any others.

No opinion on the seller or source. Google, I guess.

I emailed IS about the Starry Light, but they have not replied yet and it’s been two days.

I PMed Calvin and he got right back to me, and i saw the pics he said he would take here

Craig manages most email inquiries with a turnaround time of around 2 business days due to the volume, which email address did you message?

Just the contact feature on the site. But I have since signed up with the site and sent another message (service@…) about it. I’m not worried. Just thought I might have fallen through the cracks somehow. lol

What he said. For $20 at Sears, you can't beat it.

Not much flood, it is a fine thrower though. And single mode, but cheap and indestructible.

Dorcy Direct has them IN 5 COLORS…for less than 20 delivered if ya got one of their coupons.

I’ve had one going for over a year now on lithium primarys.

Great little light.

I dont quite see why I would choose the $22 dorcy plastic body Q5 led light over the $24 starry light with xml2 and anodized aluminum body