4 more 365nm UV-leds tested

^ no, have never bouggt one of those, but for sure the beam will be ugly in a reflector light.

Do you think that the beam in the f3x will be better because the beam pattern of each led will overlapwith the others?
Or do you now any other better working UV led that fits the XM pads?

You will get a big donut hole, three times that will not change a thing.

The only XM-size UV led I know is that Epileds 395-400nm one. But keep looking, I expect a 365nm version at some point.

They can be bought in 365-370nm / 395-400nm/ 400-405nm. But i do not want to have a huge donut hole. And certainly not 3! Mhhh yesterday i checked Digikey and Arrow for a long time. I found a few interesting leds but nothing in 365/385nm for XM size pads. I had hopes that someone would know a led but it seems that uv leds for 5050 pads are not so common.
Maybe i have to think about another modoption for the f3x!

did you consider the Sofirn C8F?

I will build one UV for a german guy with 3 SST-10 when I got time
I found even on a S2+ the beam is really tight as the die is so small, not really a big reflector needed

if you know the LED spacing maybe some other MCPCB fits the reflector

Or you use a Dremel tool to make cavities in the reflector base for 3 16mm boards

The F3X is on the way from china. i could not resist for this discount price (although i know modding is not easy). But i like the look (like the big brother of the D80). djozz modded one but the unusual led spacing makes it hard and fits no other DTP Board (Mod: LuckySun F3X). That was the reason why i was looking into uv leds. They usually not require huge currents.
But thats no problem! In time i will find something that fits the light. If necessary i change to a single reflector (if i can find one). But i am not in a hurry!

after 2 years there might be a fitting board with DTP,
also a possibility may be 10mm Sinkpads and 0.25mm copper foil to connect them and

When the light arrives i will measure the board and see what i can find. But ~20€ for a sweet 2S 26650 light was to good to not buy it :slight_smile:

I’ve come across these.
https://www.ledwv.com/uv/uv-365nm-10w-high-power-led-p-1222.html

Minimum order for a sample is 20pcs at $15.24 each, not sure on shipping.

Anyone have experience with these?

donut hole flashlight

So which of the two UV lights from Simon would you recommend? The Nichia, or the LG? Your output graphs seem to show much better output from the LG.

LG

If i want to run 4 Seoul Viosys Z5 leds@~2A each in a flashligt would it be better to run them on a driver with a seperate regulated channel for each led or can i run them in parallel like a few XP-L leds?

simply test them on a power supply and measure each voltage at same current
if there is much difference you may add a 50-100mOhm resistor on the MCPCB in series

I will test them when the leds arrive. I have ordered two from KD. One for me and one for my neighbors Convoy M2.

I got one from KD a month ago. Unsoldered the UV leds on to a series mcpcb and used a modified H1-A driver at about 1.5a to each led. I used the optics that came with it in a convoy S2+. Didn’t seem to put out much UV, my convoy Nichia was brighter.
I asked Djozz if he knew what was up with it. He told me you can’t use optics, that most of the UV light is absorbed in the optics :person_facepalming: .
Well that explains my problem. Took the light back apart and found the Z5’s were cooked and the optics had melted :cry: .
Ordered a triple aluminum reflector that Djozz suggested and still waiting on the new Z5 board to get here. learned my lesson, Don’t use optics with UV leds. :wink:

With all due respect: don’t carve those words in stone. Optics and lenses can be made of different materials. Test yourself if they are useable or not. Setup your UV-light as a mule, if possible with the PCB screwed to the pill (overheating!). Nothing in front of the led. Place a piece of white paper on the table, and shine on it with your light. You will get a reflection that cannot be missed. :nerd_face:
Now move the optic you want to test between the light and the piece of white paper. If it casts a black shadow, it stops all the UV light. Don’t use that one. But there are also optics and lenses that cast a “grey” shadow, or hardly any shadow at all. Those may be useable, but that is up to yourself.

I’m curious about 1) What triple MCPCB & 2) which triple reflector Djozz recommended to go with it.

Zoom lights may be a not-too-bad option for UV.

Zoomed out you get a wide area with a uniform brightness to find things fast and zoomed in it has the most power on a small spot.
I have not tried a UV zoomie yet but with all UV lights I tried I had problems to quickly scan a room because the beam spot is so small.

Some time ago Convoy offered a BD04 with UV. The choice of small quality zoomie hosts is not wide…

It helps a lot if the zoomie has a glass lens.

About plastic zoomie lenses and also applying to the various TIR optics commonly used: some plastics allow more 365nm light to pass than other plastics, in general PMMA transmits 365nm light better than polycarbonate, but it is always a bit different than the general transmission spectra that you can find on the internet on the various plastics. And I have not found a plastic optic yet that does not block a clearly noticable amount of the 365nm light, at least making the flashlight inefficient while warming up the optic.