$40 Flashlight setup for the guys in the family...

Samsung 30q’s
Liitokala Lii 100
25$ left for whatever torch you pick.

It is early

How about a BD from Convoy?
build in charger
“dude this thing rocks” factor seems pretty high

BD01
BD02

I think most non flashlight overs like a sideswitch more then a tailswitch
these two do not have the USB port inside the light, no flimsy easy to wear parts in the light.
And money to spare to get a nice cell. If the receivers are not li ion savy, 1 will do.

i would give away lights with integrated USB charger (like Manker U11 - which fits in your pricelimit atm :wink: )

For a muggle I usually recommend flashlight with built-in charger. Not sure if they really need 2x batteries…are they really using it so often?

I would propose:

• Manker U11 + some Panasonic cell from Fasttech
  • BLF A6 (or Astrolux S1) + Lii-100 + Samsung 30Q

+1 I just did a small mod to a BD04 and I love it. It’s now pulling 3amps as apposed to the under 2amps stock. It still charges the battery and is nice and bright. It’s a zoomie so some light is lost in the optics, but I think it out shines your requirements. This way, no charger is needed.

I would never use a built in charger in most of the light’s you get now as I feel they’ll be poor quality. I’m of the opinion that good batteries should be charged in a good quality charger.

I was going to buy the Convoy rechargeable last week if I hadn’t got the S2+ instead, the charger would’ve gone in the bin.

You raise a solid point
Anybody comment on the quality of the charging part of Convoys? The method of connecting it to an adapter is the best I have seen.

I saw those Mecarmy Pt series lights a couple of weeks ago on Massdrop.
The Mecarmy Pt’s have charger built in, supplied with a li-ion cell, are produced in four size formats, based on the cell.
Right now they are priced out of the range your looking at, but Massdrop may have them return in time for the holidays.
There are some reviews PT-16
PT-18

I would agree with your statement for most of the other cheep lights out there with built in chargers. However, I don’t think the charger in this light is the same as those. It’s not the mc3000, but I’ve found it to be very accurate. In fact, every time I’ve tested, it has stopped the charge at 4.2v. It’s not going to give a perfect charging algorithm, but I would say it is more than good enough as a gift to someone without other lithium powered lights. Over the first three years that they use the light the cell may lose some charging cycles, but in the end the light served its purpose. They’ll get a new battery and not know the difference. But I will say, I will only be using the charger on my bd04 when I travel and I will have dedicated batteries for this light. When not traveling they’ll be going in my xtar charger :wink:

Great responses and advice… 9 months gives a lot of room for deals. I hadn’t thought about a rechargeable, but it’s now on the table. I have a BLF A6 and it’s a contender too. Since I’m getting 5 lights, that gives me a discount for “bulk” and I know that some sites have a standing BLF discount code… I can get the price of a Convoy S2 down to $10ea, and if chargers are only $5… heck, they might be getting 2 lights each.

But advice on waiting is good… I’ll be watching the deals daily and something I can’t pass up will hit.

I would go with a Convoy M1 (more throw then S2, all purpose flood/throw), with an XP-L on Noctigon at 3.5A Clsoer to 1000 lumens.
Then a high capacity battery (Sanyo 3400-3500 makes sense) and a charger, i hear the Liitokala 100 is a good basic/cheap device.

Make sure to train them on li ion battery safety, this is very important.

Check out this thread on battery safety. Don’t let it scare you though:)

Personally I think the Convoy BD01/02 have an impressive look to them and suit an “out-dude” scenario better then the other flashlights mentioned, but that is personal of course.

What is objective is the fact that you should indeed educate the dudes about li ion safety :slight_smile:

I can second the M1 suggestion! You might consider getting it with an XP-L HI. I’ve found that non-flashaholics seem to be more impressed with throwier lights. (They tend to appear brighter, for one.)

Convoy has been having some “growing pains” lately resulting in some poor results for the customers. However, Richard at Mountain Electronics has the M1 and some nice chargers and quality cells all in his store. OP can buy everything needed from one store and be sure to get great quality and excellent customer service!

Edit: One thing, though. The M1’s that Richard has are XM-L2 and a 2.8A driver. Sure to still be impressive to the dudes!

Am I the only one that wants to hear more about the remote control farther machine? :DRUNK:

A co-worker of mine has one and used it on the boss. He put it in the boss’ office and pushed the remote every once in a while. :crazy:

I believe they use the tp4056 charging circuit. So it is fairly safe.

With what is available at the moment I would say charger wise you won”t beat the Liitokala Lii-100, charges Li-Ion & NiMH, $4 & also works as a power bank.
Light wise again with what is available at the moment, Convoy S2+ or C8 or Thorfire C8s.
That leaves you plenty enough for cells.
Things might change before the year is out though but I have all of the above & can”t rate them highly enough for the money.

Indeed and its a few dollars cheaper, at Mountain one can get

$11.55 Convoy C8
$8.65 Sanyo 3500mAh
$6.49 XP-L V6 1A
$4.20 Qlite 3.04A
$4.90 XTAR charger
$5.50 test and build
———-
$41.29 each plus tax/shipping

Perhaps a volume discount if buying many lights?

The OP can get other lights cheaper, Simon sells Convoys and i believe he offers limited customization, and better tints will be available with the 9 months the OP has.