4A ramping drivers from I-O

Coming from china, I would not make that assumption.

I don’t know much about this driver, but I would guess no. If it’s really an 8.4V Max Linear driver, that would not be enough voltage for 3 XM-Ls in series. It would be fine for 2 in series.

PPtk

Thanks PPtk. What would this driver be useful for?

I do not think it operates from 2.7V to 8.4 but rather 5V to 8.4V. But it could easily go dimmer and dimmer once under 5V .

Lights that use two emitters in series with two Li-Ion cells in series.

I have no plans to build a light to that spec. Three or four maybe. Without sounding lame can you please explain how it would work with different amounts of LED's. Thanks PPtk.

Would changing the circled resistor from 102 to 101 restore the driver to a 4.2v driver?

Happy to help. It will pretty much require 2 LiIon cells in series for input.

For output, it will pretty much require 2 emitters in series. You could parallel two strings of two in series for a 2S2P arrangement of emitters and have 4.

Really, this will be a pretty crappy driver from an efficiency standpoint. I wouldn’t buy this driver.

You’d have to ask Hank. Depends if other circuit changes were also made. He may have said to look for that resistor because its the only change, or he may have said to look for that resistor because it’s the easiest change to recognize.

PPtk

Edit: I see at minimum one other change on top of the swap from 100 ohms to 1K on that resistor. There will be other changes necessary.

Thanks PPtk. I understand what series is and parallel, this stuffs me 2S2P . If you want to start another thread on 1S2P etc I would be an interested pupil, that is if it hasn't been done already and I missed it. Cheers.

just my luck I have an 8.4v

With so many of us having the 102 version I'm starting to wonder if Hank didn't have his numbers reversed. Could be he had far more of the 8.4v than he realized.

The first one I installed did not work. The second one did. I thought I messed it up somehow or it was DOA but after reading this post and checking the resistors, the one that didn’t work was 8.4V. I’ll have to test it with 2 batteries to see if it was in fact not my soldering. I have no use for 8.4v. I might send that one back to Hank.

What are you guys doing with your 8.4v ones if you don’t need it? Send it back too?

Well, he told Gords and I to keep them and he is resending the correct ones. Can’t speak for Hank regarding all of them so I’d suggest asking him.

Thanks for the reply!

I’ve been having problems as of late with my soldering (this driver and then AMC chips deleting certain modes). Everything I touch seems to go to sh*t. Knowing that this was not my (dumb@ss) doing helps out my frustration level.

I will gladly buy one from you if you are not going to use it, let me know

Anyone wants to sell me a working 8.4v 4A ramping driver? I am interested in one.

Thanks!

I would let a few people actually test them, mine is imo unusable, which is gutting as I’d love an 8.4v version of the original 4 group driver, I could pretty much stock two drivers to cover 90% of my needs. The one I have though throws out near 10a on two cells and the modes available are low blink or constant ramping with no control.

Neither points makes me happy, it’ll do the same thing on one cell but only give 2a or so. I need more people to hook these up and test, see if the batch is bad or I got a bad un, because if these are available useable, I want a few of them.

gords, you can send me one. I’ll compare it to the first batch, single cell driver I have.
Thanks. PM coming.

I've just worked out that my three drivers were incorrect. As with others here I would like to commend Hank on the excellent service I have received from him. It took only a few hours for him to get back to me and he is replacing the three drivers. To me even if some of his items are slightly dearer I will continue to shop there because of this service. Thanks Hank and IOS.

Ive just been playing around with one of these drivers and would be interested in any one elses thoughts. Running on two King Kongs this driver on high puts out about 4.5 amps not 9 as suggested. The driver gets hot extremely quick, like about 10 seconds and then turns of. After it cools the driver will again run but turn of again. Running on one King Kong the driver appears to work fine except that high is about 1.65 amps, med is .55 amps and low is .03 amps. Thinking out aloud it appears that this driver is only meant to run on 3.7 volts and the (correct me if I'm wrong) sense resistors are actually lowering the current to the LED.

Comments?