[4K Review] ASTROLUX HL01 Headlamp - It has everything!!!!

What is the light tint in your review?

It’s a shame. On paper this light had all the attributes of a very desirable headlamp. Unfortunately the designers had more experience designing meat mallets than headlamps.

The HL3A, another anduril headlamp, weighs about the same with an 18650 battery included as this thing weighs with the 18350 tube and no battery.

The other question is, how long HL3A could hold average light flow without termocontrol. Additional weight is the meat for overheating

Long-term sustainable output which is restricted by overheating is determined by the efficiency of the electronics and the ability for the light to dissipate the heat generated.

Extra mass only helps a light maintain a longer turbo without ramping down, but in the long term it’s about the surface area rather than the mass of the host.

The HL3A has more emitters (greater efficiency) and a relatively similar surface area. Neither lights have substantial heat fins such as the NSX3/4 for example so both would be able to dissipate a relatively similar amount of heat.

I don’t have the HL01(luckily) but I can tell you about the HL3A. During the summertime when I am walking, my HL3A can maintain a decent brightness (most of the way up the ramp) with a set limit of 55 degrees on a full VTC6. When my battery voltage drops lower, my light can maintain near-full ramp, or even full ramp without heating up too much. This is because 7135 just don’t have to burn off so much voltage. I suspect when I use a weaker battery like the 35E with more voltage drop, my HL3A will produce even less heat and be able to maintain a higher ramp.

I am satisfied with how much light the HL3A produces without overheating. I just wish the driver would be less inefficient but buck drivers are expensive.

“I am satisfied with how much light the HL3A produces without overheating. I just wish the driver would be less inefficient but buck drivers are expensive.”

Skilhunt H04 about same price , buck driver , optics, size , weight …

Yup, no anduril though and I love the ramping and shortcuts of anduril. I even use sunset mode when I want a dim light to make me sleepier before bed (though my shortly arriving LT1 should replace it).

The 4000k, excellent bin lumintop sst-20s are also bloody gorgeous. 95cri and 90+ r9 make colours pop like nothing else. I still marvel at just how good colours of plants look when I go on walks while using my HL3A. Grass just somehow looks AMAZING!

It’s also a perfect combination of throwy/floody. Initially I was annoyed at myself for forgetting to order the carclo floodier optics with it but after using the light for so long with the stock optics, I have no complaints.

The HL3A is a headlamp which I am more than satisfied with on all but a few minor points.

Hasn’t this headlamp been out for a while? I have two that I bought 8 months ago .

The HL01 has been indeed. We are just discussing it in context with other lights available on the market.

H04 have 5000K hi-cri version as well, R9 makes red color pop only ;))

You are only supposed to wear it when you need it. It would be pretty dorky to walk around with it all day. LOL

So what profit about comparing weight?
At first, the price is quite different.
Second - imho and HL01 and HL3A not the best choice as headlamp.
Third - precision light flow level should be in comparison, not i see or may be
I have EDC18, which is very close to HL3A by parameters. And light flow grafic for them show very fast output stepdown by termocontrol in Turbo and even 7/7 level.