5-mode F15, E1320 edition

This is so awesome, I just had to give a shout . . .

As some of you are aware, I've traveled a long road with my F15. For those that weren't around, I ordered a TrustFire F15-T6 last summer not long after I received my 980L. It seemed like a less expensive alternative to the 980L and I had hopes of a bargain powerhouse. My hopes were dashed however when, upon opening the envelope from Manafont, the driver flopped out/hanging by the wires and there were two chips, one of which would have easily drawn blood before I fixed it.

It sat unloved on a shelf for a while before E1320 offered a driver swap. Off my F15 went to the other side of the country and when it came back, I now had the powerhouse I wanted in the first place - dead reliable and the equal of my 980L, albeit more flood. (OP)

Last week, E told me about a new 5-mode driver he had, and . . . off my F15 went again, just the head this time and it came back today and all I can say is . . .

WOW.

It is now a 5-mode non-blinky with a moonlight . . . here's what it pulls at the tail:

turbo: 3.50 amps

high: 1.68

medium: .75

low: .09

moonlight: .01

If you've ever wanted a flashlight that can seemingly do it all . . . this bad boy is every bit as bright as my 980L but it also has a battery saving-but-still-bright-as-hell 1.68 amp high (or medium, I suppose), plus three other lows. You can stare right at the emitter (for a second or two) on moonlight.

Gonna be my EDC for a while. Funny how I hated this light at first and now, it's among my two or three most cherished flashlights and is the most versatile.

eisthemanFoy

I have to say that my E1320 modded version is a huge improvement over the stock light .

It is now my go to light for just about any and every lighting need .

Foy , did you get the neutral XML ?

I did , and it rocks !

Thanks Foy. I really enjoy modding these lights, it's a lot of fun especially when someone like you comes along with a light that needs a small tweak to make it perfect. I have to give credit to JonnyC for walking me through my programming issues I was having and for sharing the 5 mode program he wrote.

No, it's the same T6 the light came with. I didn't know you had an F15. I'm not familiar with the neutral tint - is it warmer?

Foy

Yes , it’s squarely in the middle of 1A and 5C tints .

( I ordered my F15 the same day you did and mentioned the Emod here .)

Jack got an emitter swap he chose the 4B tint T5 as well as a 3.5 amp 5 mode driver swap.

4B Tint T5 XML 1C Tint U2 XML

Foy , just go ahead and send it back to Erik and get the 4B T5 . It's a great tint . You will love your F15 even more .

I use the medium-high mode when I strap the light to my bike . It never gets too hot and it's plenty bright .

My girlfriend absolutely loves her 5 mode XML "pinky". It runs on an 18500 or 3AAAs and has a pink trit hanging of it so she can find it on the nightstand in the pitch dark.

Hmmm

Mine's not either one of those . . . it's white. I like it.

Now I remember you ordering your F15, Jack. I recall reading about the 5-mode then but I guess I didn't stop and think about what it actually was. Every time somebody says "5-mode" I think high/medium/low/strobe/SOS and that is absolutely my most hated UI. This 5-mode does everything my Quark can do yet it's still wow-factor bright on turbo.

Seriously - this is awesome.

okayillstopnowFoy

The neutrals really shine as bike lights you get much better depth perception.

Neutrals from now on for me .

Me to, it's one of things that once you discover them you either love or hate and if you love them nothing else will satisfy. I have almost converted all of my lights at this point. KD has a great 4B tint XPG that's on a tiny board and fit's most small lights.

http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S009864

Can any other light engines be modified and powered like this?

Any single Lion powered light that takes a 17mm driver. All my single Lion lights now have this driver. I also sell these drivers for $10. PM me if you want one.

Thank you.