$50 amazon fire 7" tablet ($35 sale over) Root, CM12.1

none.
waste of resources.
root,install f droid,install adaway,enjoy.
oh and dump all the system locked crap apps.

I think the tally was 2 that wouldn’t charge to 100% and 1 bad one out of the box. Amazon was great about it, though. They cross shipped the new ones and took care of everything, no questions asked.

And that to me is the only reason to buy Amazon’s generic branded Chinese tablet over the other cheap Chinese tablets, which give you better bang per buck IMHO.

My reason to buy Amazon’s cheap Fire tablet over any cheap chinese tablet,
Manufacturers usually discontinue support for a device as soon as they can. And I mean major top manufacturers… Some devices never get a single update / new version of android (with needed security fixes plus new features) from the manufacturer. Small brand chinese devices are even less likely to ever see an official update.

I only get major brand popular devices because rom developers (open source volunteers) will put out updates long after the manufacturer has abandoned the device. The more popular a device is, the more rom developers plus xda forum users it will attract and the longer it will continue to get updates from the community. This Fire tablet will have the new Android 6.0 “Marshmallow” even if amazon never releases an update. Small brand cheap chinese devices just are never popular enough or interesting enough for developers to care about them. Also root and good custom roms is just a requirement for me. Imho you can’t really take full advantage of a device, get the best usability without at least root. “Is that an ad taking up half my screen? Where’s my adblocker?” Less data charges when you firewall apps that have no need to download junk secretly in the background, costing you extra money. Often downloading ads or sending usage statistics.

I should got one of these yesterday. Oh well.

Ah, “until 11/29” means until the 29th begins not through the 29th.

Like “you can stay until breakfast” means be out of here before breakfast.

Got it.

Yea, would have been real nice if they were more clear. A note at bottom *sale ends 11/28 11:59pm CST (or whatever time zone amazon uses).
Bet a few people thought that they had one more day. I wasn’t sure. Got a 2nd one last night around 10pm for a family member cause I didn’t want to risk it.

I understand amazon customer service is quite good. If anyone wanted one I’d recommend opening a chat with amazon customer service or sending a message with the “ends 11/29” screenshot attached and saying it was unclear, asking if they would honor the $35 price for you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Btw thanks unknown00101 for the screenshot. I never grabbed one.

Definitely a sensible paradigm, though there’s no guarantee a third party ROM won’t brick your device. What I do is get the most hardware I can for the money and don’t worry about whatever support it has. I try to hit that sweet spot where I know I’m not getting the top of the line, but I’m not paying $500 either. As long as the manufacturer has one or two updates in the pipeline then I’m good.

After a year, if I’ve killed it, or the battery has crapped out, or I can’t update it, then I’ll gift it or toss it into a trash can and buy another one. Same with my phones. I’m not looking to get 3 years out of a tablet with Moore’s law still making them cheaper and faster every year.

Also, many of the cheap Chinese tablets come already rooted. At least all the ones I’ve purchased have.

My Tablet turned up this afternoon. It all runs quite smoothly and the build quality is fine but be warned the screen is shockingly bad. I think I have been spoiled by smart phones and even my trusty old Nook HD (built in 2012) which all have screens that are in a different league. Some small text images are unreadable on this tablet unless you zoom in. Not because of the size of the text but the fact that to few pixels make up the image.

I must not be spoiled. Or just had lower expectations than you. Resolution is listed as 1024×600 (171 ppi) so I knew it won’t be HD. Brightness, color and viewing angles are decent. Screen looked ok to me. Especially for $35. :smiley:
Pixels per inch are higher than the ipad2 and rest of the specs are equal or better. People paid apple prices, $500 for that just 4 years ago, more than one million sold in the 1st weekend. And now those specs cost us just $35. 1 / 14th the price.

But, don’t keep it if you really don’t care for it.

Amazon.co.uk return policy Fire tablet return page

Google Pixel is an expensive phone with all such features that are also present in Sony or Samsung phones. However, I will still like to get it soon.

Fire Tablet, 7” Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB
$33.33 at Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TSUGXKE
£29.99 at Amazon.co.uk https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018Y224SG
€39.99 at Amazon.de https://www.amazon.de/Fire-Tablet-Zoll-Display-WLAN-Orange/dp/B018Y226TS

Just a word of caution to those who plan to swap a third party ROM: at first turn on it will ask you to connect to wifi, DO NOT LET IT! press skip instead. Or it will automatically do a FW upgrade to a newer version where it makes installing CM more difficult.

I did this the first time and had to wait months before a new method involving flash fire was released.

Good to know Will, thanks! :+1:

I got 2 of these this morning at Staples, the American Office Supply chain. I used SuperSU to root it and flashed a new ROM with FlashFire. It was “Ultra” easy :smiley:

I wanted to buy it and give it as present to my 10 y.o. little daughter.
Unfortunately Amazon (.com / co.uk / .de) doesn’t ship it to Greece, so I can’t get it in the prices I’ve posted. :frowning:

Hi!

I managed to get an Amazon Fire 7" (version 5.3.1.0) from Amazon.co.uk (a friend of mine bought it in UK and brought it to me in Greece). As I understand from the 1st post of the relative topic at xpa-developers, I must do this:

Prerequisites for Installation
- If you have FireOS 5.0.1 then use Cyanogen Recovery or TWRP Image
- If you have FireOS >= 5.1.1 then use FlashFire 0.50

and

• Fresh Installation from FlashFire 0.50
    - Click the Red + and choose 'Wipe'
    - Ensure System data, 3rd party apps and Dalvik cache are CHECKED
    - Click the Red + button and choose 'Flash ZIP/OTA'
    - Navigate to and choose the latest Cyanogenmod Zip
    - Accept defaults
    - Click the Red + button again and choose 'Flash ZIP/OTA'
    - Navigate to and choose the latest Open Gapps Zip.
    - Accept defaults
    - Move "Wipe" to the Top of the order
    - Press the big FLASH button.

I also understand that I must download these:

Downloads
- CM-12.1 for Amazon Fire 7" 2015 Tablet
- Open Gapps

What I don't understand is how to install SuperSU and FlashFire, as I must NOT connect it to internet, because of what will34 wrote.

As you understand I might be a lot of things, but for sure I'm not a mod expert. :BLUSH: So... can you help me please? I want to give it as X'mas gift to my 10 y.o. daughter, so I'm kind in a rush...

Thanks,

- Evan

Answering to my self :P , I think I found the way to install FlashFire:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/tut-fire-os-5-3-1-running-cm-12-1-t3482573

For step 1 (how to use SuperTool) I'll follow this.

I installed Nexus ROM, but Gmail App is crashing all the time.
I might change to CM after a couple of days.

CM and Candy usually are more stable .

I don’t have a Fire tab, but in general PACman ROMS are my go-to