58mm deep aluminium reflector (Xml)

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1286
Just seen this, looks fairly good, and at a reasonable price. Has anyone had any experience with this. And or what are your views on it?

I have it, works really good, for some odd reason it changes the tint of the beam by a few hundred kelvin cooler, a 1C tint looks like a 0B or 0B! Thru the reflector, I had to use a 2C tint to maKe it look like a 1C.

It definetly throws as good as bigger reflectors, the hotspot can be compared in size to the TN-31 but not as bright.

I use it in a modded Solarforce Skyline with a XML fits perfect and is one of my most used lights.

Any questions? Feel free to ask! :slight_smile:

Wow, what great timing! I have a gutted skyline 2 x 18650 clone with a poorly finished reflector and wasnt to sure what to do with it. Now I do!

Just a few questions please:

• Does the reflector fit right in or do I need to mod it?
  • may I ask why you replaced the original reflector?

Thanks

The Reflector fits right in, I Still have the original reflector, new one seems to give better tint to the beam, both reflectors give about the same size hotspot (edge barely goes to original reflector) this light is begging to get the new BLF driver that is being designed, I honestly love my Skyline flashlight with a XML driven by a 1320 5 mode driver at 3A

questions? Just ask!

TN-31 on the left, Skyline with reflector mentioned in original post on the right. Notice the size of the hotspot! Definetly a thrower!

Thanks Alex! Its hard to believe that such a small diameter reflector works so well with XML. I was considering an XPE2 build at 2.5A on sinkpad till I read your post. But now I wonder how it would do with a dedomed XPG2 @3A on sinkpad… things that make you go “hmmm” in the night. Darn that AL pill in mine, but there are ways around it.

Yeah, it looks like I’ll probably need 50 or 60 of those 4A boost drivers once they become available. That, on top of a much better soldering iron.

Thanks for the post Moomaneast!

I think you will get a white laser! Great for spotting things far away but not good for closeup work, what I like about the XML is the very bright corona while still having a good long distance beam

BTW here is the thread about the Skyline mod

Youve got a good point there. Im not a big fan of aspherics because of that one reason. My clone doesnt have the tailcap board so this should be an easy build. Now all i need is a good 20mm 3-4A 8.4V driver. Have you got one in mind for me? Im actually getting pretty excited about this. :bigsmile:

I use this one quite a bit, gives a true 3a
and I’ve just used this one and in my torchlite build, just swap to a 20mm contact board.

there’s also this one I have not used yet

http://intl-outdoor.com/xml-multicell-circuit-board-35a-ouput-55126v-p-543.html

What a strange sequence of events tonight!

• Fist, I had to move my empty skyline host to get to another flashlight earlier this evening. I paused for a moment, wondering if Id ever find another reflector for it.
  • Then this post comes up and I subscribed because Im always interested about finding better reflectors.
  • Then Alex reports that he used this reflector in his skyline and loves it.
  • Then Gords posts a link to one of his favorite 3A drivers. The pic looks a lot like one of the old drivers I bought from KD a year ago but never used. I forgot I had it till now so I just dug it out.
  • In trying to find out more info on the driver, I come across this post from Alex about the same driver!

I need to go jump in my car and buy a lottery ticket… like, right now!

Thank you Moomaneast, Alex and Gords! If I win the lotto, you will not be forgotten. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks! :bigsmile:

Thanks :smiley: well I just ordered one, thanks for all the good feedback.

I’m making a 5 xml @ 3A spotlight with 5 of those reflectors. Should be a beast.

I’m struggling on what battery to choose though? I have 2 nice big 12V 2.4ah lead acid battery’s. but they are soo heavy… Any ideas? I’m thinking 1 or 2 hours run time at 3A. I don’t mind about the Weight it’s just lead acid are are heavy for the size and capacity.

Need to get reading on the lithium battery safety though :stuck_out_tongue:

I finished my XML U3 conversion of the light. The longer handle of the 2 x 18650 battery tube makes it just about right for carrying for long periods of time. I took a chance and polished the reflector and it turned out fairly well. While it wont out-throw any of my throwers, it certainly isnt a slouch. The spill beam is very bright with a small tight hot center spot. Maybe the reflector in my clone is different from the other 2 already mentioned here. Either way, Im VERY satisfied with having such a useful combination beam in a relatively compact package (considering two 18650’s). There is a green shift at the edge of the spill beam but it goes away after 20’ range when used outdoors. Sorry, Im to lazy to take beam shots… maybe later.

Alex, the driver you linked works like a champ. It draws 1.7A at the tail so Im getting around 3A at the emitter. I considered your resistor mod but Im happy the way it is for now.

This light was great in its day, now its soooo much better. Buh-bye XRE!

Glad to read that it worked out :beer: