670nm deep red led helps eyesight

why can’t we just use a zebralight photo red (i could have sworn i just typed that, but my post disappeared). website sez it’s in the 650-670nm range

This is one case — perhaps the only case — in which the showerhead full of 5mm LEDs is better than the equivalently bright single bright chip LED
because the goal is to spread the light across the retina, not produce a single bright point that’s in focus on the retina.
Same reason that LEDs can cause eye damage generally — the eye’s lens focuses the point source LED into a point on the retina.

I’d like to know where to buy a photo red showerhead light, now that I know the researchers used a multiple-LED red light.

EDIT
aha, there’s an AC version: https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwj7g8KspbTqAhUmHq0GHRQ_BpsYABBRGgJwdg&sig=AOD64_0wTbmj-ZBY6CB7YjG9ZKYzo_TASw&adurl&ctype=5&ved=2ahUKEwiNrLWspbTqAhXNFzQIHYBQBgwQ8w56BQgBELwB

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwj7g8KspbTqAhUmHq0GHRQ_BpsYABBRGgJwdg&sig=AOD64_0wTbmj-ZBY6CB7YjG9ZKYzo_TASw&adurl&ctype=5&ved=2ahUKEwiNrLWspbTqAhXNFzQIHYBQBgwQ8w56BQgBELwB

21W Deep Red 730nm 660nm 630nm LED Lamp Light Bulb PAR30 E26 E27 Aquarium Plant

Thanks for sharing this info! Very interesting.

Hank is offering SST-20 red emitters with his lights. I might have to grab one.

And lo, it turns out red light is ideal for working at night in your henhouse!

https://permies.com/t/143632/Red-Headlamp-Trick

Would this work?
Saw it on eBay. Described as Sofirn C01R Red light Keychain Flashlight Cree XPE2 660nm Deep RED LED bulb
Original CREE XPE2 Photo Red (650-670nm)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sofirn-C01R-Red-light-Keychain-Flashlight-Cree-XPE2-660nm-Deep-RED-LED-bulb/383616336767

The Sofirn C01R has been community developed in cooperation with Sofirn. You can check the thread: [Shipping now] Sofirn C01R - XP-E2 deep red AAA keychain flashlight

Whether the flashlight works, I am pretty sure. Any other answer, you should know by yourself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[quote=Barkuti]

LOL! As everything in life, right? Thank you - new to the subject so appreciate your experience.

some additional info about which red can and cannot degrade Rhodopsin

“Rhodopsin’s detection frequency goes down to about 610nm.”

“Cockpit Illumination: The use of red light (wavelength greater than 650 nanometers) for illumination of the cockpit is desirable, because it, like red goggles, does not affect dark adaptation. “

670nm deep red led helps eyesight “

Psychodelic Sun experiment:

hold head up with eyes toward bright sunlight, eyelids closed and relaxed: seeing light red.

with eyebrows raised to thin the eyelids: seeing yellow.

with eyelids squeezed shut tightly: see dark red toward magenta.

with relaxed closed eyelids and moving hands with open finger spacing to create an oscillating shutter of the sunlight as it hits the eyes and vary the frequency of the shutter: causes strange symetrical images and shapes with changing colors—a psychodelic effect.

years ago i paid $10 to sit in a recliner and wear a pair of relaxation glasses with closed eyelids for 10 minutes. They were a plastic eyeglass frame with white LEDs attached along the rims. The lights would pulsate in different sequences and frequencies to create colors and images such as the shutter effect while facing the sun. It is a very relaxing experience.

So nobody has found the supplier of the multiple-LED far red flashlight the researchers used. Brief exposure several times a day improves some aspects of vision
We’ve got the Sofirn 1-LED penlight close to the same wavelength
We’ve got the AC-powered multi-LED red light from eBay, which would suffice for room lighting I guess

Anything else? I”m still real unclear about exactly what vision changes are anticipated:

I haven’t found a clear definition of retinal sensitivity.

AHA, the Internet has accumulaed more information since I last looked

Thank you Slashdot.

Confirmation below, Sofirn C01R, hotspot at high setting:

Djozz, is it okay to use this picture (showing the measured peak wavelength) in my C01R thread (maybe also posting in the OP)? Of course, all credits will go to you. ;-)

Sure :slight_smile:

Heel erg bedankt! :-)

I haven’t found a way to access the paper - my library offers access to an academic portal service, but it looks like they only have the abstract so far. However, I found a clearly related paper by some of the same authors from a few months earlier:

It sounds like they bought a typical 9-emitter 1£ torch from a discount shop and found some deep red LED’s somewhere to swap into it.

Might as well just get the Sofirn C01R. Make sure to diffuse it.

I would bet they bought a cheap 9 x 5mm flashlight from Poundland, and bought the LED’s

By the way, I found earlier related research on mice from some of the same authors:

Very helpful, thank you.

650 to 700 nm sounds like it’s not all that critical. I guess mitochondria can use a range of photons.

650nm to 700nm is just the range they were aiming for, because LEDs do not output only a single wavelength, but a range.

They did not study which wavelength was the most helpful, or even which wavelength was required for this effect.

https://www.ajmc.com/newsroom/can-red-light-exposure-improve-eyesight

EXCERPT

Andrew Huberman briefly mentioned red light therapy on the Joe Rogan Experience.

thanks for that link, I found it interesting and thought provoking

they mention a study using moving lights in VR goggles, the goal is to promote ganglia, that signal the brain from the eyes

they also mention red light, as in this thread we are in, to promote photoreceptors

There is a way to do both of those things, without goggles and without flashlights… it is called Solarization

go out in the sun, close your eyes, face your eyelids at the sun, and then turn your head left and right…

here is a website that describes it, and other exercises intended to improve vision

https://www.wellnessawake.com/is-there-a-natural-way-to-improve-eyesight/
“Roll the ball of the sun on your closed eyes for 5 minutes.”