670nm deep red led helps eyesight

Sure :slight_smile:

Heel erg bedankt! :-)

I haven’t found a way to access the paper - my library offers access to an academic portal service, but it looks like they only have the abstract so far. However, I found a clearly related paper by some of the same authors from a few months earlier:

It sounds like they bought a typical 9-emitter 1£ torch from a discount shop and found some deep red LED’s somewhere to swap into it.

Might as well just get the Sofirn C01R. Make sure to diffuse it.

I would bet they bought a cheap 9 x 5mm flashlight from Poundland, and bought the LED’s

By the way, I found earlier related research on mice from some of the same authors:

Very helpful, thank you.

650 to 700 nm sounds like it’s not all that critical. I guess mitochondria can use a range of photons.

650nm to 700nm is just the range they were aiming for, because LEDs do not output only a single wavelength, but a range.

They did not study which wavelength was the most helpful, or even which wavelength was required for this effect.

https://www.ajmc.com/newsroom/can-red-light-exposure-improve-eyesight

EXCERPT

Andrew Huberman briefly mentioned red light therapy on the Joe Rogan Experience.

thanks for that link, I found it interesting and thought provoking

they mention a study using moving lights in VR goggles, the goal is to promote ganglia, that signal the brain from the eyes

they also mention red light, as in this thread we are in, to promote photoreceptors

There is a way to do both of those things, without goggles and without flashlights… it is called Solarization

go out in the sun, close your eyes, face your eyelids at the sun, and then turn your head left and right…

here is a website that describes it, and other exercises intended to improve vision

https://www.wellnessawake.com/is-there-a-natural-way-to-improve-eyesight/
“Roll the ball of the sun on your closed eyes for 5 minutes.”

$15? I wish theyd say where.

if you want an inexpensive red light, consider a sofirn C01R

I hear red light also heals injuries, and does other amazing things:

“”The red and near-infrared light photons penetrate through the skull”:Can light therapy help the brain? -- ScienceDaily and … spur the mitochondria to produce … clearer, sharper thinking”

So I modded this Titanium beauty, and Im shining it at my stubbed toe…

===

about vision
I used the red light to hunt for stuff in my basement

I noticed that when I came up, my eyes were more light sensitive than usual

that kind of makes sense,
red light shuts down all the color vision,

people in the study became more light sensitive after red light exposure too

stay tuned for the results of tonights walk to the porcelain throne… :student:

===

next, I want a green light :partying_face:

Green light emitting diodes accelerate wound healing

“(LEDs) … have photobiostimulative effects on tissue repair.

we investigated the effects of … green (518 nm) LEDs on wound healing.

wound sizes in the skin of … mice were significantly decreased on day 7 following exposure to green LEDs

In conclusion, we demonstrate that green LEDs promote wound healing”

I have a Nitecore MH27 light,with red,green,blue colours,besides the white.Can I find if the red colour of this flashlight is OK for making “light baths” for my eyes?

It is unlikely to be a deep red 660nm LED. I did a quick internet search, but I couldn’t find what types of color LEDs are used in Nitecore MH27.

If anyone wants a powerful deep red flashlight, you can get a custom Emisar D18 with SST-20-DR-B120-V660 deep red LEDs if you ask Hank. I have one and it is amazing.

I think there is a wide range of Red spectrum that has biological effects

I do not recommend pointing red LEDs at your eyeballs

I have emailed the author of the paper, and asked if he wouldn’t mind popping in here to help us all with this - here’s hoping! :+1:

This looks clearly like a 620nm, because of the orange-yellow center
Deeper reds like 660nm have more magenta there than orange-yellow.
That is a bit of a rule of thumb do differentiate between reds with the eyes.

Highly interesting.
I wonder what are the people that are heavily into Red LED therapy have to say about this?

I mean currently red light is considered also a metabolic booster, so in theory that should do similar things as this Green LED does, here I mean like faster wound healing.

Ok, I just had a very kind reply via email from Glen (the publisher of the paper) at UCL.
He tried to post the below on here, but was having trouble for one reason or another.
Here is the email, I hope it helps you guys - I’d like one too lol!

Hi ,

Just tried to post this but don’t think it worked

Hi I’m Glen who published the 670nm paper and human vision. Academic at University College London. G0OSE asked me to join in. Few comments in general.

We have been working for >8 years on interactions between light and biology. We first improved vision in flies and bees then in mice with 670nm. There is a sound scientific rational. Our human work is a simple extension, same metrics, same results. You can see my labs other publication in Pubmed under Jeffery G.

In flies and bees long wavelengths also improve metabolism, memory and mobility in aged animals. Its based on the notion that mitochondria in cells provide energy for cell function that declines with age. Mitochondria absorb these wavelengths and it improves their energy output and cell function. It is simply like recharging a battery. A number of major clinical trials are running with the aim of improving mitochondrial function in aged disease.

Wavelengths are 670nm- approx 1000nm. energies were around 40mW/cm2 to start with. This was filtered, but we now have as good effects with much much lower power output. There is no real dose response curve - the effect is more switch like. 3 mins as good as 15. >1h and the effects are reduced.

The process is often termed photobiomodulation. There is a lot of literature out there, look for names like Mitrofanis J. Kern T., Eells J., etc,…

A patient came to me with a single 670nm LED and a battery. she joined them with her fingers and asked me if it would work. I tested it and said yes. Nothing magical. Don’t know of anyone making these devices commercially, but bet they will soon

I can’t always respond, but will try

Best wishes

Glen

Hi I’m Glen who published the 670nm paper and human vision. Academic at University College London. G0OSE asked me to join in. Few comments in general.
We have been working for >8 years on interactions between light and biology. We first improved vision in flies and bees then in mice with 670nm. There is a sound scientific rational. Our human work is a simple extension, same metrics, same results. You can see my labs other publication in Pubmed under Jeffery G.
In flies and bees long wavelengths also improve metabolism, memory and mobility in aged animals. Its based on the notion that mitochondria in cells provide energy for cell function that declines with age. Mitochondria absorb these wavelengths and it improves their energy output and cell function. It is simply like recharging a battery. A number of major clinical trials are running with the aim of improving mitochondrial function in aged disease.
Wavelengths are 670nm- approx 1000nm. energies were around 40mW/cm2 to start with. This was filtered, but we now have as good effects with much much lower power output. There is no real dose response curve - the effect is more switch like. 3 mins as good as 15. >1h and the effects are reduced.
The process is often termed photobiomodulation. There is a lot of literature out there, look for names like Mitrofanis J. Kern T., Eells J., etc,…
A patient came to me with a single 670nm LED and a battery. she joined them with her fingers and asked me if it would work. I tested it and said yes. Nothing magical. Don’t know of anyone making these devices commercially, but bet they will soon
I can’t always respond, but will try
Bet wishes
Glen

Yay! Welcome to the BLF Glen, so kind of you to join us here! :+1:
Your input is VERY welcome!

Where are people freely getting these specific 670nm LEDs since that is not a commonly available wavelength for red LEDs.
620nm and 660nm are the basic ones from 99% of the red LEDs