A comparison for bike / cycling: Convoy M1, Convoy S3 and modified SK68

what’s the trick for strapping a light to your helmet?

Nitecore makes a great headband that will hold two S2 /S3 lights very handily. Or, I suppose one could resort to duct tape!

I got 2 Convoy M2’s that I clamp on my moped handlebars.
Judging by the beamshot pictures of the M1 and S3, the beam of the M2 falls right in between.
Although it leans more towards the M1, it doesn’t exactly have a hotspot with sharp edges, like a HD2010.
It’s more like a hot glow that fades into the corona then spill, very useful beam.
I was going to get the Convoy S2 at first, but I wanted more mass in the head to dissipate heat.
I read a lot of reviews saying the Convoy S body lights heats up fast.

For flood the S3 is far better than the M1. Just as an FYI though, that pill is brass, not copper. ;)

I cannot wear a headlamp when I ride at night because here in paradise there are too many bugs . They are attracted by the light and will fly right into your face .

( June bug in the eye , anyone ? )

Regarding throw , me and my riding crew ride fairly fast and downhill we sometimes reach speeds of ~ 30 MPH . Since we ride on a trail with curves and wildlife we need to be able to see far enough to avoid obstacles at speed .

We all use bar mounted C8 style lights and a couple of us use the Convoy M1s as well .

Does anyone know if the S3 is waterproof?

I ride with a convoy m2 and convoy s3 mounted on my handlebar with two fish mounts. I ride this set up on the road at night and I ride between 20 - 32 mph. If I ride my local mountain bike trails at night I mount the m2 to my helmet and ride with 2 convy s3’s on my handlebar. For mountain biking to keep the lights from slipping I use a two fish mount and I reinforce it with one of these http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10003997/1287400-silicone-bicycle-parts-holder-mount-tie-strap-band

Pls forgive my ignorance, but what’s a fish mount?

Where could I get one?

1) The faster you go, the further ahead you’ll need to see —-> The more throw you’ll need. (Hence me not liking too floody.)
2) I can’t say of the S3 meets IPX 8 rating but, it’ll happily handle being dunked in 4ft of water. (I did not press the switch under water since it was in a barrel of water and my arms could not reach the bottom.) Same goes for the M1 and S2 lights.

Garry, the M1 comes with a light orange peel reflector. If you want more flood, you’ll have to use a diffuser or aim for something with a shorter reflector.

I’ve cut two small groves in the center line of my helmet (with a dremel) to keep the light in the center line and zip tied the light down at the right angle. “This”:

is also available from fasttech. I haven’t used mine as yet but, if you’re attaching it to the helmet, it has to be in the center. Not all helmets can accommodate a light in the middle.

http://www.twofish.biz/bike.html

I found this Cycleblock on Ebay. Is that the same thing?

Yes. Same people makes it. Just a different size from the other one they make.

Thanks for that link! Added to my wishlist for a next purchase!

-Garry

Your welcome. They also sell black ones

Umm . . . Link? I'm not finding them on FastTech's site.

Thanks,
-Garry

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1140013

Thanks! So it's actually a "different product" with a different description. No wonder I couldn't find it!

-Garry

Does anyone have any outside beam shots of the Convoy S2? I would like to know how its flood/throw compares to the S3 and the M1.

nope :bigsmile:

I use this same product from Fasttech. I couldn’t figure it out however until I read it somewhere. You have to go around ’twice with the strap.

I mount two lights on my handlebars, a Tank 007 M20 for throw, and the UF-H2B for flood, just for city riding.

great thread!