A decent place to start ... ?

Hey all … new to the torch / light arena. I am an EDC type, but until recently, I’ve only owned your ‘run of the mill’ lights ….

Couldn’t resist the deal, so I picked up an Astrolux SC Copper 1400lumens light (X5 clone?) from BG, and got thrust into the Li ion world, which I know nothing about …
so after doing some research and recovering from minor information overload, I ordered a pair of Keeppower 14500 840mAh batteries and an Xtar VP2 charger …
So I provide all that to pose the question …

Is this a decent place to start?

I don’t have a lot of money to start investing in a new passion, but I am willing to dip my toe in … for now.

:sunglasses:

Welcome to BLF.
You have started at the end and now find yourself back at the beginning.
That is probably one the best start you can have. Next will be an 18650 light, then a thrower, then a monster flooder, then a custom you build out of parts from mountain electronics…

The community is great here. Enjoy your stay and don’t tell your wife about this place.

I believe you’ve made a nice start. :partying_face:

…unless you have a cool wife who will buy you everything in your wish list at mtnelectronics.com at one time for Christmas, like mine did. :crown:

Welcome to BLF!

Heck yeah you got some decent cells there and I think the charger ia not too bad either (if not others will correct me) the cells I’m sure of.
Nice light you got also. A bit sad it is that good it eliminates the need for a lot of others and finding something looking that good is also not easy so your start seems like a very good one indeed!

Welcome aboard the best forum ever.

Welcome aboard! Enjoy your stay! :wink:

Recommendations:

$6.99 - BLF 348

High CRI Nichia 219B emitter.
1 mode only (on-off)
Plenty bright running on common AAA battery.
(Can use 10440 Li-ion or LiFePO4 battery, but too bright IMO.)
Remarks: Elegant, stiletto-like stainless steel form. You won’t find a better made high-CRI flashlight for the price.

$19.95 - BLF A01

3 modes (L-M-H)
Similarly bright running on common AAA battery.
(10440 not recommended.)
Remarks: Rock bottom price for a 3-mode copper flashlight with high CRI Nichia emitter. If you like copper, you won’t be able to resist this one. It’s sooooo nice!

Varies - Convoy S2+
~$13 - Gearbest: http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_232308.html
~$19 - Simon at AliExpress: Link
3 modes (L-M-H)
Output levels vary depending on drivers and emitter bins (3x7135 = ~450 lumens, 8x7135 = ~1000 lumens).
Remarks: Must have flashlight for BLF members. Nothing fancy, just plain useful. Great beam. Best tail button made. A pleasure to use. I’d recommend that you order from the manufacturer, Simon. However, if price is more of a concern than getting the right product, then order from Gearbest.

^ Lots ’o fun for not too many bux. Great recommendations.

Welcome!

First the toe, then the foot, and before you know it you’ll be a Flashaholic like us. You will be happy, but your bank account may not be. So be happy, you’ll earn more money later :smiley:

First learn about safety HERE then decide where to expand. You’ve got a good charger and some decent cells but you’re going to want to go into 18650/26650 lights. You’re going to want a ‘mini’, a thrower, an EDC, and a flooder or lantern. Plus maybe a headlight. So many toys, so little time, so make the best of it and start with whichever kind of light it is that you don’t have but could use. Go with what’s highly and widely recommended here on BLF and you can’t go wrong- those lights are where the best value is found. “Special Edition” and GB lights can be great if they’re what you’re looking for, but sometimes they are specialized for one purpose which may not be your “cup of tea”. Before long you’ll know exactly what you want and who has it for the cheapest. And if you’re so inclined modding can give you more for less or even things unavailable otherwise.

Lots of fascinating things to learn about here- it’s a lot more than a battery, bulb, and reflector nowadays so enjoy and be happy!
Phil

Thanks for all the good tips! I am also new to the forum, looking to learn more about the different lights.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and the recommendations!
Already read through the SAFETY 101 thread, as my initial research had me wondering if I had made a terrible mistake (Li ion horror stories), but I’m an Engineering type so have no problem learning good practices - now that I am getting a clue what they are.
I will definitely look into those light recommendations; for reference I already have a few lights, but all are mostly what I would consider ‘casual’ EDC / general purpose stuff:

Maratac AAA rev3 in Ti, Cu, and Brass
Maratac Cu CR123
Fenix E12
Fenix E05 (SS)
Nitecore EZ AA R5
EagleTac P20C2

So picking up the Astrolux kinda forced my hand into Li ion stuff, as the operating voltage is above 3V … I’m not sure I want to go into the 18650/26650 realm, as I am not on a “power” quest … but I know better than to say never … for right now I’m psyched about the Astrolux, as it looks cool, the interface is by far the most flexible I’ve had, and I really like Cu lights.
I have it “slated” for bed side duty (lighted switch and half-asleep clicky functionality). We’ll see where this leads …

Thanks again, looking forward to learning!