A new generation Cree leds: SC5 platform, sounds exciting!

We will have to wait and see, but suggested by the press release there is a bit more going on than just resizing the package (or is it just clever words?). If that proves to be any good for flashlight use is another story.

"The SC5 Technology Platform is built on Cree’s industry-best silicon carbide technology and features significant advancements in epitaxial structure, chip architecture and an advanced light conversion system optimized for best thermal and optical performance"

The higher Vf makes sense commercially, albeit to our disadvantage.

I just hope they don’t abandon single die altogether in the future, else we all have to start lugging multi-cell toilet plunger EDCs. Oh yeah. :bigsmile:

Yes, exactly that is why I used "theoretical"

But the resizing of the package is real. XP-L, XB-H and XQ-E are supposed to be that, old dies in new package.

It is clear that the world is it still not accepting the idea of using a 3.3V LED in series to make their custom design, they rather prefer a quad die, which is rated 6V or 12V to have just 1 LED (basically already in series-parallel or full series from the factory).

So of course these type of LEDs will always have good lumen-per-watts ratings due to the way they are configured from the factory.

Remember the old XM-L EZW 6V or 12V rated? using quad XP-E dies.
XHP50 using quad XP-G2 dies now? With the new improvements of course claimed overall
Both LEDs are 50*50mm, just now the XHP50 can actually be configured by the user not by the factory.

There are two contacts on each side, but they are wired in a way to allow either 2S2P or 4S connections for the four dies. The top two dies are always series together and the bottom two dies are always series together. If you bridge the two contacts on each side (left and right), you are making a parallel set of two series sets (2S2P). If you bridge one of the contacts from the left (either top or bottom) with the opposite contact (bottom or top, respectively) on the right, by going across the thermal pad, you make a series set of two series sets, for a total of four dies in series (4S).

XHP50 now has a L90 rating for 50.000hrs that is a lot, I wonder if that is specified for 85C or for the new 105C rating?
I wonder if this awesome specification will ever make to the datasheets.

As you can see here L90 is reached very fast for XM-L2 at 3A. It is very clear why indoors (continuous hours of operation) you never want the to put the LEDs at their max rated current.

Hike,

From the press release it appears the XHP is rated at 105c temp. Appears Cree wants to make smaller light fixtures w/ the same output as the current models. Hopefully we’ll see a few samples get tested soon.

What I like about the downsizing of the packaging size is that you can use smaller optics and driver(assuming you have a +6v 2S)

For example the XP-L is the XM-L2 but I can use XP-G optics. :slight_smile:

The XHP might fit the XM-L optics and might give the performance of MTG2. And if you have a dual sell XM-L flashlight then the same driver will give you about double the power used. If the beam pattern is semi decent then this could be a easy mod with great wow factor.

The XHP50 will prove some challenge incorporating it into a flashlight, but it is announced as the first of a new family of leds, who knows what other sizes/configurations there will be. I hope for a separate single die version the size of the XP-E with normal voltage and improved performance.

Eagletac MX25L3 XH-P50 Limited Edition

Pretty cool, 2800 led-lumen from a XM-L sized package, I am impressed. I'm pretty impressed by Eagletac too that they have the flashlight for sale even before the specs of the emitter are published on the Cree site .

Eagletac has always 2 type of lumen specs, 2800 is the bulb lumen, 2400 is the ANSI, but however that hotspot look flawless hard to believe comes from a quad die. I have even under exposed the image and not matter what the hotspot is a small perfect circle.

perhaps the textured dome helps in this aspect, I guess it has a similar effect as an OP-reflector, or even better.

Perhaps , but the reflector is not a tiny one, and it says it is a light orange peel , emitter is a pretty small one which can be focused quite ok.

Beam does not simply look good, but it is flawless, that is why I find it strange.

soft or harsh, still flawless

But this is too much maybe for a thread where an unreleased LED is being discussed, some may thing this is some test for the LED.

Don't you guys remember the old MC-E? It was put in a lot of flashlights over the years. It was four die too and used for flashlights. You just need a large reflector, an OP finish on it and proper adjustment of the led in the reflector, to get a good beam. I'm sure the finish on the dome also helps, as well as the small die size. I bet it wouldn't look any worse than the MT-G2 black spots and they are now acceptable to most modders, just because the darned thing is bright as hell. Probably this will be acceptable too.

Yep it was the wether the MC-E or the SSC P7 when you wanted serious lumens back then, both quad dies, both gorgeous with the right reflector.

I suspect you are right on the money, OL. Guess I’m gonna have to go get me some cheap welding goggles before these hit the MTNElectronics or Illumination Supply. (Always tell myself I’m gonna get me a pair when I do a build and temporarily blind myself in the process)

Hmmmm… what would be a good host for a triple XH-P50 host? J)