A New Way to Detect PWM?

Just take 2 or 3 lights with matching PWM .... problem solved and constant on. ;-)

Sensitivity to flicker seems to vary hugely. Some say that those in the US because of their higher AC frequency (60Hz - it is 50Hz just about everywhere outside the US and Japan and Ecuador) are more likely to notice and be annoyed by it than Europeans. But since Steve is AFAIK a Brit there are clearly other factors at work.

PWM above about 30Hz doesn't bother me at all - below that I notice it, but it doesn't annoy me unless it is less than 10Hz which can trigger fits in susceptible people and makes most folks feel less than good.

IMHO, the tint shift isn't really noticeable. I love my ZL SC600w. I have put all of my other lights in a drawer and only use this one.

You are right Don, I am a brit :)

PWM definitely effects some more than others.

I must be quite sensitive to low PWM, it's not like I stand there waving my hand in front of my lights or run the taps looking for it. When using my lights that have a low PWM just turning my head in an area or room which is lit by the light has quite a disturbing effect on me, especially when I am tail standing a low PWM light in a room and using it to ceiling bounce light around a room. The motion of just turning my head makes me feel very uneasy, and it feels extremely surreal.

I have yet to own a light which generates it's modes with high frequency PWM, maybe one of these is next on the cards for me so I can see at what frequency PWM is no longer a problem for me.

I work with someone who can't stand fluorescent lights because of the flicker - basically 50Hz PWM. And she's spent all her life in the UK.

For me it´s gotta be well on the KHz area for comfort.

If used in dark, I see traces of PWM flicker all-around where light has reflected.

DRY was probably at 400Hz or so, way too low for comfort use for me :(

BTW, only CAR with LED rearlight that I have approved was quite new Prius. I bet it has LED light but I could not detect PWM. All other cars, rear lights, daytime LED lights annoy with ridiculously low PWM.

I never minded PWM..now that I look for it I can't stand it..thanks BLF! lol...jk

having good current regulated lights like my sc600, h600 and h31 I can definitely see the difference when using PWM and current controlled lights..PWM isn't a deal breaker for me but a low hz PWM is really crappy IMO..the Dry 700 hz PWM is passable and isn't bothersome to me..

You're welcome ;)

In all seriousness, if you are using a light for emergency purposes low PWM frequency is going to be the last thing you are concerned about, a light is a light under these circumstances.

However I find it to be an absolute pain for daily use. To the point where I find myself preferring to drive my lights in high mode to avoid the low frequency PWM of lower brightness modes.

I can see myself replacing my P60 drop-ins for current regulated P60 drop-ins sooner or later, as (to me) they are only useful in high mode.

I guess most people who dont like WPM are also annoyed by low Hz computer monitors, and TV`s.

Especially with the old CRT monitors on the wrong Hz setting.
Some LCD TV`s also have a low Hz. And that is not nice to watch for a long time.
Especially some of the bigger ones.

Think the PWM frequency is not the only concern it's how that is generated, ie perfect square wave with 50% duty. This is not how TV screens etc work, that's the refresh rate, I'm fine with 50Hz TVs in the UK, I wouldn't be happy with a 50Hz budget torch in most cases.

I don't have any troubles with the PWM of my lights in 97% of the situations, just the sound noise hurt me but is just the first minute than I'll ignore it.

I hate, and fixed often with an oring inside the tailcap, the flicker of some budget lights, it happens especially when tailstand and the switch touch the plan