A recent PM I received regarding an online review....

I was solicited here on BLF to write a review for a new light available through Amazon. They wanted to see some of my reviews, so I showed them some - This was their reply -
“I see there are some negative reviews in your previous reviews. I need a 5 stars positive review with pictures, because it is totally free.
We will refund you via Paypal including the paypal fee after the review is finished.
Are you agree? If yes, we will work.”

Well that’s completely wrong. It’s against Amazon’s TOS as well as being unethical. I understand wanting a good review, but if that’s the case work with me if there was a problem with my particular copy, but don’t expect a 5-star review for a 2-star product.

The crazy thing is, if it’s the company I’m thinking of, they don’t need to ask for a 5-star. They’re good flashlights for the price already, the good reviews will come.

Hi there, could you please PM me the BLF username of the vendor?

That was the same vendor that posted a thread wanting reviewers to try out their tent light. I replied I was interested, they wanted my Amazon review history and PayPal…

Which is wrong they started out the right way asking for reviewers out in the public forum. But then you buy the light and they refund you. The light should be free or a 99 percent discount code and free shipping. Or something. In that thread I posted. I feel like a deal like this implies you must leave good reviews and if you don’t no refund for you. And the review shouldn’t be rushed. The light should be used for a couple weeks at least get some real world use. Be able to see if there’s any bugs or flickers not just unboxing a light taking a few pictures and reboxing the light. Use it for a month get a feel for it before doing a review. I had a feeling that vendor had bad intentions from the start. And called it

You should publicly shame them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/47069

That’s why whenever I read a review on Amazon where they received the item for free for a review, I don’t even read it because it’s always a glowing review how perfect it is.

Been there, done that, now out of it and feeling cleaner.

Started off with very decent torches from a respected supplier here, no problems reviewing them dispassionately, but then the other requests came in.

Lots of dubious tat delivered, I could have become a whore, but that’s not my style, so I only reviewed the good things (there were a few) and ignored the tat.

Strangely I don’t get invited to review things much these days.

I just had the same experience with the tent light. I’ve never written a review before and not going to start in such a fishy scenario.

And send a copy of that letter to Amazon admin, letting them know about it.

Amazon tends to take a Dim View of such things.

Sounds like the PM I received a little while back.

I read it, looked at the light (on their link and Amazon) then deleted it and never even thought anything about it. The company was not one of the big ones I recognized.

Light looked like it would be fairly good……….but the idea of a “pay you after” review did not sit well.

Besides, I acquire enough lights on my own.

I literally have a boilerplate agreement written up that I send to companies/individuals that contact me. It makes the following points;

1. I will disclose any/all compensation [i.e. if the light was free].
  1. I will disclose if the sample was random, or selected by the manufacturer (possibly cherry picked)
  1. I will NOT “review first and be reimbursed later” as that is essentially holding my review hostage.
  1. Samples received will be tested, sometimes unintentionally to destruction. If a sample is to be returned, do not expect a sample back in the condition it was received.
  1. Samples are reviewed as received, However I have a full time job so the review may take some time to complete. I operate on MY schedule, not theirs.

My reputation as a reviewer is far more important to me than their “free” items.

Sounds like the “lightdoctor” member who was trying the tent-light review scam. (get you to buy it & claim to refund only if you give a perfect 5-star rating.

Relevant

Also relevant…

Amazon Is Canceling Prime Accounts for Violating Its Review Policy

I was a member of an amazon review club long before it was frowned upon. It used to be really hard to get into because you had to meet all kinds of criteria. Stuff like being a prime member and ordering XX amount of products not discounted in a month. Posting shrill reviews was highly frowned upon in the group and would get you a ban from it at the time. The group I belonged to was always up front about getting an item for discount or free.

I have a strict review requirement that most of these companies turn up their nose at now stemming from those days.

1. The reimbursement using paypal is always a red flag. If I do break down (really want the product badly) the reimbursement has to be before I post my review.
2. I always wait a month after I have used a product before I post a review. I often do a 6 month or one year follow up. I’ve ticked off companies doing this because a product breaks and I come back stating such.
3. Receiving the product for discount or free is always stated in the first line if not the title.
4. The review will be 100% honest. I might not like the product but if it works as intended I will state so. A company can make a great product that I can’t stand, it’s not their fault.

The problem started when spin off groups started that was only goal was getting freebies. The less than honest companies would go there because that’s where they would get the shrill reviews. You used to be able to watch ebay and tell what products they were pushing at the time. People in those groups would get the item, never remove it from the box, shrill a 5 star review, and promptly throw it on ebay for half price or lower than amazon.

Everything said I don’t mind being contacted for reviews. I’m on disability and have the time if I have a use for the item. I’m not gonna review something like a coffee pod insert for a maker I don’t own.