A thread about Mental Illness

well…the facts about chemicals-magnesium and iodine pushed me to know more about it…and looks like,i need them:)
no fruits in my life…just sweeties…and sugar is not very good i heard in large amounts…thanks for that!!

Your welcome vresto…. :+1: . It has been & is helping me, I hope it helps you.

As far as sugar goes, I cut that down drastically a few years ago. Not completely mind you, but dramatically. I rarely drink what we call Cokes (carbonated beverages/sodas)… probably less than 5 a year. I use honey a lot as a sweetner too.

Oh yeah, the artificial sweetner Aspartame is not good. Some people’s bodies cannot tolerate it & it can cause them to go ‘bonkers’ somewhat. I’ve just about quite using any artificial sweetners personally.

Anyway, good luck my friend!! :+1:

Oh yeah, you can do Google searches & read a bunch more about vitamin & mineral defiencies too. :slight_smile:

Maybe this can help some people, it is just a plant but has many benefits > St John’s wort

wiki: Hypericum perforatum - Wikipedia

/\ …. :+1:

well….i eat right now Toffifee bonbones right now,but i promise its for last time:))
andin the afternoon i will complete again my fruit sapper and lets go!!!
well…very usefull thread i mean…at least prevention against arrogant topics:)) now we know-its just magnesium defficiency:))))

I’ve had issues with anxiety and depression my whole life. Been on and off several different meds… none seem to really do the trick. The best I can do is hit the gym regularly, avoid alcohol/drugs, and continually try and fill my life with people and things I love.

I had quite a horrible episode in 2016, lasted about 6 months and was one of the worst hells I have ever experienced.

You don’t have to cut them out completely… just don’t eat the whole box at one time. :smiley: … And eat better if your diet is crappy & filled with junk food. Moderation…. :wink:

It ’might be’ caused, or caused partly; by a vitamin or mineral deficiency.
Key words are “might be”…… don’t forget that part. :slight_smile:

My worst part of my life was the summer of 1995.

I hurt my back, and got addicted to opiate painkillers.

I quit cold turkey, and didn't sleep for three months straight.

I was skinny before all this, and I lost a lot of weight.

At my skinniest, I was 6' 1" and 130 pounds.

The lack of sleep and my state of mind was pure hell.

Eventually I got on meds that worked for me, and I moved to a room & board for mentally ill people.

And I got much better over time.

It’s not like it’s all the fault of the News. In the Peoples republic of NJ, you can be denied rights by the government for being treated for a mental disorder. Then they wonder why some people develop paranoia or deny they have a problem.

Hm? Never said it was their fault, just the “bias” in what’s presented. Ie, dog-bites-man is no news, but man-bites-dog is.

My understanding about depression, at least one symptom of it, is a skewed bias in much the same way. Ie, as I mentioned, you might not notice the visual treat in the heat-shrink dress standing on the street corner waiting to cross, only how long the trip took.

But agreed, it’s not just in the GPRNJ where you can be denied rights based on just being treated for even a transitory bout of “mental illness” (eg, death of someone extremely close to you, etc.) that’ll haunt you forever and follow you around forever in your “permanent record”. Good luck trying to get a CCW permit there even if certifiably sane, but forget it completely with even a hint of “counseling”.

Forget CC permit. You will be denied a permit to even purchase.

I was diagnosed and misdiagnosed with depression and anxiety. I still have anxiety, but it is situational and helped by my seizure meds. I had a very bad brain tumor that was affecting a part of the brain responsible for autonomic body functions. Basically from age 15 on my growth was stunted and this caused other physical and psychological issues for years they misdiagnosed… anorexia/bulimia is one that they got wrong. I was bullied and the way to survive was to become a bully, which was horrible and then fall into a life as an angry, hateful, unproductive, unmotivated, lazy Lumpkin that drank too much and watched TV and played video games until the wee hours of the night. Until I got really sick and started having seizures. They found and removed the tumor in 2004 and I almost died a couple times and spent months in hospital and years in rehab. It was an eye-opening experience that caused me to shape up, get healthy in my mind and body, find God, myself, and live life. I went to college to help people with mental illness and addiction, volunteer in support groups and prison outreach ministry now to help encourage and guide others dealing with those issues. I work with mental health professionals in the medical billing field now and see that counseling and medication helps, but only if you are committed and stay faithful to get the help. My story may be different or similar to everyone’s, but I see how mental illness has a common denominator…

I know someone with paranoid schizophrenia. She is friends with my wife and my wife asked her if she would be willing to put a helmut on and sit with me on my motorbike whilst I take her to the top of a mountain near our house. She agreed. Long story short, she told me she felt reborn up there. No people around, no crowds, just beautiful scenery, rocks, trails, bears, deers etc. It is a long winding dirt road up that mountain and as we were gaining altitude I could literally feel her happiness bloom. She told us nature did more for her in a few hours than 30 years of doctors, medicine and shrinks combined. She is not cured, but her outlook on life after that ride took a 180 degree turn for the better. She smiles every day now when we see her and holds a steady job whereas before she was completely unable to even apply for work.

Klrman… What a story… Shes had no idea before that to bé in a nature far away?

I read with great interest these posts on mental illness, as I was diagnosed with mental illness when I was 19. I am now 54. When I was diagnosed, I had my own business, married to a beautiful woman, had all kinds of toys and should have been on top of the world. But at that point in my life, my mental illness blocked all the “good things” in my life and all I focused on was the “bad things.” Instead of being thankful for all the good in my life, all I did was bitch about all the bad in my life. Even though I had it all, all I could see was what I didn’t have. My wife used to always tell me, “you always look at the glass half empty.” She was one of those people who was blessed to see the glass half full. We were married for 16 years until she could not take it any more and divorced me and that really sent me into a spiral downhill that I still haven’t recovered from and that was 20 years ago. I remember going to a psychiatrist one time and brought her with me and that psych told me that if I didn’t change my attitude, I was fixing to lose everything I had, including my wife and my business. I remember leaving there so mad that day and cussing the doctor. Low and behold his prediction came true within 5 years. At first I was diagnosed with severe depression, anxiety, social phobia(which hasn’t really come to light until recently) I had a thriving business where I had to go out and meet people every day and always in the public eye. My wife was a trophy and I wanted to be the center of attention. Social phobia has me at the point now where I avoid crowds at all costs, go to the grocery store late at night, have the windows tinted on my vehicles, etc. I didn’t realize it at the time but I slowly stopped going out in public, started making my wife go places for me and make deliveries for me. I became a hermit and didn’t realize what was going on with me. She was the best and I will always miss her.
I have been to probably 100 different therapists, counselors, etc. I am now on the 8th anti depressant in the last 10 years. Don’t give up people!!! Keep trying until you find one that works for you. About 5 years ago, my doctor diagnosed me with PTSD due to the fact of the effect that my divorce had on me. I thought that was only for people in the army. Shows what I know.
As stated above, seasonal depression is real and I have it big time. Around Sept. or Oct. every year I start to get down and out. I try to spend as much time as possible outside. Light boxes do work!!! I don’t look forward to the holidays, they depress me. This is where family and friends are very helpful and beneficial, especially if they understand depression. Knowledge is key. An old doctor told me a long time ago that a person is never really cured of depression, that they just learn to cope with it better over the years. I believe that, as has been my experience. I also know that depression comes in waves, and it will pass in a few days. I get down and out over the smallest things, but I try to remind myself that in a couple of days, I will be in a different state of mind. And that always comes true, for me anyway.
One last thought on this subject, I hope I don’t offend anyone with this subject but suicide has not been mentioned in any of the posts above. My thoughts on this has changed over the years. I was raised in a Catholic household and was taught that if a person commits suicide, they would automatically go to hell. I believed that for years until I got older and researched mental illness further. My views have since changed because I firmly believe that mental illness is a disease that can take over your mind and put you in a place so low that your mind will convince you that there is no other option. I could never do that because as long as I stay on my medication, I know that is not the answer, but I can see how a person can be taken over by this disease and follow through. This happened to a good friend of mine and the only way we knew how he felt was from the note he left behind. I know this is a touchy subject and no one wants to discuss it, but it is real and needs to be talked about if we are to prevent people from letting this illness take them over. Before passing judgement on someone, do yourself a favor and read something about this illness. We all have it to a certain degree. Reading is knowledge, knowledge is power! Thanks for reading my thoughts on this subject.

Catholic household? I know many od them and they self need help. Especially young women.

She said she'd always found some peace in the little parks, but nothing even close to the feeling she got high up in altitude away from all the noise. There seems to be a certain calm and happiness that overwhelms some people, including myself and my wife when up there. Native elders around here call it a sacred mountain, but in all honesty, I never knew of any mountain that wasn't sacred to the natives. It goes along the lines that nature in itself has healing vibrations that can be felt, and in some areas the vibrations seem to be way stronger. She wanted us to know that for the first time in her life she felt an overwhelming amount of love and peace that engulfed her and described that it felt like mother nature was cradling her. It actually bought tears to my eyes hearing that and seeing her glow whilst telling us.

I'll chime in and say - that in the last fifty years in human history - we've come a LONG way in understanding how to regulate the nervous system back to calm and relaxed - from a state of fight/flight/freeze. It was as recent as the sixties, that we were slicing people's brains (lobotomy) and/or shocking them with electrodes.

Not that I'm thinking of any movie in particular.

Compared to the sixties, there are dozens of newer therapies that have helped people.

For me personally, the most helpful practices have been:

(1) mindfulness meditation

(2) Trauma Releasing Exercises (TRE), as developed by David Berceli. What is TRE? (LINK)

TRE in particular has taught me - that the human nervous system has a built-in, innate way of recovering from stress and trauma, if we DON'T SUPPRESS IT.

Terry

When I was a child of 5 years I suffered a head injury from a fall onto cement. I developed schizophrenia since then( which seems to be common after head injuries) and am middle aged now. I also developed some autistic traits from the injury which resulted in a high aptitude, putting me in the top 1% of the population in many test categories, until my formative years when I became of average iq and dropped out of education. Because of this I am still quite functional despite the severity of my illness. I live with my parents and work for them which can be difficult at times but I have little alternative.
I tend to use exercise to cope, I walk about 3 miles a day and labour besides. I listen to a lot of music, such as house, trance and dance. I get cluster headaches which I find the music helps with. I was hospitalized after a suicide attempt and had a rough time trying out neuroleptics, but I have settled on cbd oil which works for me.

Discussion is so productive…Either in getting help or spreading the knowledge about this stuff…

Lost my best friend to it, who in retrospect was manic-depressive… Over the years everything he did we just chalked up to him being him….
Even keeled, social most of the time… reclusive other times. pensive…then one March day, swam out into Lake Michigan….
Really, no one saw how deeply he suffered… and we had to go through his life and take care of his stuff…His immediate family couldn’t bear it.

There are always people out there who care and can help, no matter how much you feel otherwise… If you suffer, seek a remedy

Todd was but one person I saw commit suicide….I have known a few at work or on the boards… It’s the 8000 pound elephant