A8, C8 or C10 for more throw?

I am considering buying either of the two (if I buy the A8 I plan to replace to driver). If someone has both, can you tell me which one has more throw?

Never had a A8 in my hands, but just to talk, the C8 has almost 1cm larger diameter head (35 vs 44mm) and a larger reflector usually means more throw. So I would think the C8 as the “throwiest” of the two, even with the same driver. :slight_smile:

Do you happen to know which reflector is the deepest one? I am looking for a thrower of similar size, so maybe I should be comparing the C10 to the C8, instead of the A8?

Considering the reflector on the A8 is only 24.5mm in diameter the C8 will definitely out throw it. From what I hear, the C10 is a better thrower than the C8 and has a deeper reflector. If it’s throw you want in a single cell format, get yourself an A0 clone or an HD-2010.

I just got the A8 today and I also have an ultrafire C8 XML. The C8 easily beats the A8 for throw, It’s very obvious to the naked eye. The A8 is more of a compact form of flashlight (ie more floody) and has a similar beam to a P60 light. It’s certainly not a thrower.

i have already the HD2010, I am looking for a smaller thrower, probably an 18650, but bigger than the HD2100, HD2011 etc... which one is the A0?

Not sure to understand your last comment… :~

Well, you have a HD2010, and want a smaller sized thrower, on 18650 single.
A C8 is definitely smaller than a HD2010, and is a very good thrower.
From the info on this old thread comparison C8 vs C10 the pictures show C10 reflector deeper than C8, and hotspot on wall is smaller also, so better thrower. Diameter is the same, so the size of a C10 is not much different from a C8.
I’d say go for a C10 if you can find a decently driven one, or else go with the well proven Intl.Outd. XinTD C8 with the mode customizable 105nanjig driver at 2,8A :bigsmile:

Nice overview here: MXDL SA-76 "Turbohead" (PICS warning)

Best price to get and version here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1800-LUMEN-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-FLASHLIGHT-1x-18650-TORCH-LAMP-LIGHT?item=290709821379&cmd=ViewItem&\_trksid=p5197.m7&\_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8355087334715940127#ht_2766wt_1095

But JohnnyMac do you remember what you and Kramer wrote in the review you linked over there? At post #6 Kramer said it was not really worth buying if one has the HD2010 yet, as size was comparable (see pics at #4) but output and throw were lesser. After modding almost everything, at the end of the review, he still haven’t reached the HD2010 level.
So, is it worth for you?

If you really want more throw get a C8 (or C10) with a XR-E.

That’s why it’s hard to answer these questions. If you insist on XM-L you don’t get ultimate throw.

If you want the bigger hotspot of a XM-L then diameter is the controlling factor along with how hard it’s driven.

C10 sounds to be the better choice, I suppose I can mod it with a better driver... XR-E also sounds ot be a good idea, as for this particular choice I prefer to have throw rather than a bigger hotspot. Is there any beamshot comparison here of the two emitters (XML & XRE) for a given distance?

Just today I came to conclusion (it soulfd have dawned to me much earlier).

When talking about XRE emmiters and reflector setup, C8-like 42mm reflector is all you need, it maximally focuses light.
YOu dont need anything deeper (to thin beam) and especially not wider… youll gain nothing.

For maximum throw in this setup you should turn your attention to internals - driver and all (driver wires, switch, you can swap emmiter etc).
XRE in 42mm reflector and 53mm reflectot give, as I hae seen, same result…. You dont need wider than 42mm.
Even some smaller reflectors, if balanced well, can perform maybe like some not well driven C8.

I have some XR-E / XP-G / XM-L beamshot comparisons here and here. The second link has many many photos so look for the "beamshot comparisons" (mainly XR-E vs. XM-L).

-Garry

It is for me, especially at that price. While the reflector size may be nearly as large as the HD2010, the overall feel of the light is that it’s tiny. Easy to hold and carry, easier to pocket, and a little more interesting to look at (you either love it or hate it so it seems). It’s a fun light and well worth having both IMO. :wink:

If you want XML and throw than head must be at least 62-63mm. That gives you focused beam with XML.
Everything less for me its not thrower. It can be throwy, but a thrower I understand as some flashlight distinguished with quite focused and strong beam.
XTAR S1 foir example can throw 400 m :smiley: but its not a thrower because its also great flooder, it iluminates a surface wide 100 m, maybe, at 400 meters :smiley: I dont know Ill have to test it :o

Thanks Garry! :)

That’s not correct at all. A larger diameter will definitely throw further than a smaller one if they are both fully driven.

So how much will throw XRE with 1m reflector diammeter? To the moon?

I mean, where is the limit?

I think the limit, for usable light output, is cca 42mm.

Although, I just received Jacob flashlight from dx. It has bigger reflector. Nice (plastic) reflector, I mean with nice proportions (depth and width ratio).
I’ll make direct drive and compare it with DD C8 Q5…

I think Jacob will be better thrower, but Ill have to test it. I dont have luxmeter, I test it around my house, I have lots of vertical surfaces and trees at different distances, so I can compare. (of course you can compare it on the wall too, but I like to test it outside)
This Jacob is even now, with current driver, hotspot is pretty bright on the wall.

Reflector shape is also very important, especially shape near the LEd, and how LED is placed inside reflector.

PS: In short, I think every emmiter has limit for reflector diammeter, after wich bigger diammeter wont do nothing to improve throw… Its a complex issue though, in my oppinion, because reflector proportions/shape is also a big factor.

That’s not the case. A 50mm diameter reflector will throw twice as far as a 25mm diameter reflector since the volume will be 4x and throw is governed by the inverse square law for light.

I know this is old, but I ran across it searching for C8 reflector size. So, all else being equal, a 50mm reflector will throw twice as far as a 25mm reflector? Care to back that statement up?