AA version of the Hugsby XP-1 and XP-2 (AAA's)

Only problem with P31 (which is in one of my links above) is it has 3 modes which includes an annoying strobe (correct me if I’m wrong) :zipper_mouth_face:

Does it open at the same spot as the XP-1?

And has anyone looked into the switch?

Another drawback for some might be the old XR-E emitter. When the seller just labels the emitter as a ‘Cree Q5’ and deliberately hides it in all photos, you can pretty much guarantee it will be XR-E.

The P31 has 3 modes but always starts on high (no annoying next mode). I’ve put a XM-L2 in mine as a replacement for the XR-E. The reflector fits nicely. Of course, this adds to the already higher price (compared to the XP-11) and you have to crack the glued head.

Any new tips on cracking it open?

Thanks, one more customer for them here….

Heat worked on my XP-1 :wink:

Glued Heads (Super Light, Hugsby) I first put in the deep freezer for a while then use a heat gun to loosen the threads. Still hot, thick rubber bands, sometimes together with a machine vice will be used to crack it. Last case of glue problem was the tailcap of the SecurityIng version of the Nitefighter F30B. Both retaining rings (driver, tailcap assembly) are glued and to open the tailcap I really had to struggle with this damn ring. I heated the whole tailcap with the heat gun and after some time I was able to screw it off.

Received the lights a while ago and they are just as good as the AAA versions. A bit more throw due to the bigger reflector and slightly more current draw due to the bigger batteries. The XP-12 is quite large compared to the rest of the Hugsby lights.
They are excellent quality for the price just like the little AAA ones. Both came with XP-E2 as far as I know.
I would definitely recommend :bigsmile:

The heads are glued like the AAA ones so modifying may be difficult… I slaughtered one of them with vice grips 0:) but I did get it open in the end and managed to dedome.
I also swapped the heads so the XP-11 head was being over driven and nothing died :party:

Can you show us some pictures please? I also want to buy AA version but still unsure.

I can, but photos might be a few weeks away. For $5 I would just get one to try if I was you, you’d probably get the light before my photos :bigsmile: . I would recommend the XP-11 over the XP-12 as the XP-12 is too big - might as well have a 18650 light

That’s a great idea LOL.

I have bought 10 Hugsby flashlights (AAA version) and I guess I’ll try this AA version.

In the meantime…….

Anyone got these who can measure the diameter of the drivers?
I’m wondering if the BLF 15mm “SK68” driver will drop into them, which would be very, very handy.

Oh thanks! How did I miss that?? Haha

hank wrote:

Anyone got these who can measure the diameter of the drivers?
I’m wondering if the BLF 15mm “SK68” driver will drop into them, which would be very, very handy.

Just measured the AA light at 13mm. I don't have the 2AA here, but it should be the same as I recall the heads/body tubes were interchangeable.

Not sure if the pictures link is supposed to go to my post (Post 166), but there are some comparison pics to the AAA lights there.

Thanks Lancman! :smiley:

I was playing with my XP-11 the other day and decided to check how low it can deplete a zinc-carbon primary battery (it’s the most common type here I the Phils). I found a used battery @1.05V turned it on around 5:10pm and left it on. Around 11:25pm I can barely see a dim right coming from the LED and decided to turn off the light. Checked the voltage and gladly surprised to see 5.77V. Reached again and got the same reading.

Will do some tests using NiMH batteries and will put the outcome after. If it gives the same performance, I can say I have found a new vampire fl.