AAA. or AA powered search and rescue lights for volunteer firedepartment

AFAIK, the runtimes above were obtained using 2400 mAh NiMh.

This forum is we are all supposed to get along. , nothing here on this particular thread is worth getting ugly over, what I do know from speaking to my son and chief about is this is search and rescue not a law enforcement entry unit where split seconds do count and all the member also have headlights as back up and carry tons of extra batteries, the searches are in the majority looking for lost hunters, hikers etc in the rollin hill of the Sonoran desert .I was looking at at clone of Poppas W878XML-T6 what do you all think of thia it can run on. 3AAA’ s

I would stay away from AAAs, as the energy density is very low. One AA is close to three AAAs in that regard.

Actually, it takes very little pressure to activate the half press. And even when it is locked out, a half press hold, will turn it on. I wouldn’t pack the EA4/8 in anything but a well padded soft holster for fear of having dead batteries when I might need to use it. I don’t think the UI makes it too hard to use, but I can imagine how it could be irritating for some, especially if it’s the first time they’ve encountered this type of UI. Sometimes things that might be intuitive and possibly even obvious to us, don’t always appear the same to others. I can’t keep count of how many times I’ve asked a person to hold down the power button on their computer to force a reboot and they just turn the monitor off instead.

KuoH

This might be true, but the higher voltage of 3AAA vs 1AA means that very few 1AA lights (and almost none in the budget arena) manage to out perform the 3AAA ones. At least in my experience.

How about utilizing 4AAA carriers in the Poppas W878 type light? Would that help with runtime and output?

Or for more throw you could choose the 57mm UltraOK 4xAAA (or 18650/26650) mentioned here. The pill is hollow under the star, but people have reported it runs fine on 4AAA's. I wouldn't run 18650/26650's in it with the hollow pill though. Here is a review on the Aleto version.

-Garry

Ahh, thanks! I haven’t tested the runtime of mine yet, on eneloops.

I’ve not had a problem with the switch turning itself on. Also, the holster that comes with the EA4 has padding on two sides (front and back).

I took my EA4 and tried bumping it against my hand, palm, back of my hand, wrist all on the button to see if I could get it to turn on. It didn’t even turn on to the half click position and I was hitting it pretty hard. I’m sure that if I was hitting it against something harder than my hand it or if I put it in my pocket with hard things in there, it could happen. However, it’s easy to lock out the light by turning it on and then holding the button all the way down for 2 seconds. Then to get the light back on you have to hold the button all the way down for 2 more seconds. It takes some force to do and I really don’t see that happening very easily. If I felt I needed more pertection, it’s a simple matter to loosen the tailcap slightly and the light can’t come on by accident.

I use the lockout mode too.

For people who know how to use such a light and have used or owned such things it’s not likely to be an issue. That said not all people are so tech savvy. And if you’ve never used a torch with “modes” you’d not know that it could do such things.

So it wouldn’t surprise me if it could become an issue for some.

Using a light is no different than using any other tools of the trade. One needs to become familiar before they use them on the job. It’s not nearly as complicated as using power tools, computers or other things more high tech than a pencel. Good grief people. Is there one person on this site that couldn’t or hasn’t learned to use the basic functions of a EA4 or EA8 in 2 minutes? I did and I don’t think I’m any smarter than the average person. I don’t think a person has to be tech savvy to read instructions for 5 minutes or push a button.

I’ve said it before, but I thought the EA4 UI was going to be too complicated, but it really isn’t, when you have one to try. When I got mine, the feeling was “ah, this makes sense!” rather than frustration or confusion.

On my EA4, holding down the button at the half press position will exit lockout. Very little pressure required. Also the tail cap has to be loosened more than half way to break contact. Again, I’m not saying it can’t be used in this situation, just that it can be irritating for some. Especially if they have to constantly deal with lockout mode.

KuoH

I suppose it is different if you are going to be turning it off and on a lot, using lockout mode.

Gary I was just looking poppas now ill run this by firechief andn ans see what he thinks

I’m sure it does, but this thread is for search and rescue volunteers.

that was the point I made above.

they wont be using them on a shout apparently, so its not a concern. since they also have to provide them themselves, I’m not seeing them going for $200+ lights.

If you want a real search and rescue light, a TK70 fits the bill. Not everyone needs to have one, but maybe 1 per truck?
They run on 4 D batteries. They CAN use alkalines though the top mode won’t work and it will fall back to the 900ish lumen mode. For cost reasons, I’d highly recommend using NiMH rechargables. All they have to do is get the GOOD ONES…the 10k mAh, not the normal crappy ones in stores that are a rip off (rewrapped AAs).

The TK70 has a ridiculous amount of lumens (2300), great throw, and strong spillbeam, with good runtime. You can use it with 3xD batteries too instead of 4. No loss in brightness and turbo works fine with my AccuEvolution 10k mAhs.

TK40/41/45 would make better general purpose lights. They aren’t very big and use 8xAAs. Alkalines work fine since each battery wouldnt be pulling very much amperage. Since they are older lights, one might be able to get a discount.

Finally, the older itp A6 Polestar is a great light using 6xAAs and an MC-E emitter. Thats 600ish lumens on high mode, mostly floody but enough throw to be useful. It was also half price of the TK40….the men in my family all have one now for past Xmas presents.

I have not used a Defiant 3C but it seems to fit the bill. :slight_smile: Is it really heavy?