Absolute Brightest C8/C12 as of 6-16-13

OK, I’ll start…I got an UltraFire T6 - C8 from Amazon…it wasn’t super impressive, so I tried to dedome it. End of story.

no beamshots or numbers. but the lightmall’s was noticably brighter than all the rest of my c8’s. but a very close second was the xml2 c8 from kaidomain.
all the c8’s i have are about the same in quality and build except the convoy c8 from fastech. that was is best, but not anywhere close to being the brightest.

it is a difficult subject, and unfortunately lux numbers won’t tell the whole story, since the stock c8’s with the highest lux have the lowest lumen count, ie a well driven xr-e/xp-e c8 will easily out throw a well driven xm-l, but the lumen count will be disappointing, a direct driven xm-l will be very bright at turn on but soon go dim due to battery and heat sag and wont throw too good because an xm-l needs a much bigger reflector to stretch its legs.

A regulated xm-l will maintain a constant output for longer, simply because its doing a better job of controlling both heat and battery sag.

Imo a regulated xp-g die size will give the best compromise between usable lumens and lux but no-ones building them, hence why I wish to experiment myself.

I am interested in this thread though as I like the c8 format.

Of the ones I have had my vote goes for the new lightmalls C12 XM-L2 U2 I don’t know if they are all as good as mine but it’s freakishly bright for such a small light and only one 18650. Large spill, throws decent with brute force too. It’s an amazing amount of light for the price.

Lightmalls c8 XML2 u2 was and is my brightest stock wise.

The XinTD from IO is pretty darn bright, listed here: http://intl-outdoor.com/xintd-c8-v4-xml2-t6-18650-flashlight-p-308.html

I think Foy reviewed one here: Review: XinTD C8 SC-82/V4 (3C neutral white)

That looks like a wicked cool light! Thanks!

If I had any choice for C8s, I’d get the XinTD V4 from IO for sure. Even if its not the brightest, it definitely has a really nice finish. Along with the AR coated lens.

Hiya,

I’ve got a C8….XM-L T6….driven by an East 092!

Dayyamm it’s bright!

Do you have the link ? EDIT : Found it ! powerful but at 7000k the color will be very blue.

Its impossible to be absolutely sure how hard it is driven from cheap chinese vendors with random supplies, the C12 is better with improved heat management so manufacturers *usually *drive them harder…

Get a C12 with XML-L2 U3 (hard to find right now and to be sure its really a U3) and then change the driver if you want later or get the XintD for a high-quality stock C8 (and the selection of modes and LED tint).

That’s exactly what I like to hear…definitely leaning that way at the moment.

Modding is not an option for me, I’ve already screwed up a dedoming and not willing to go through that again.

I recently received the lightmalls C8 XM-L U3. I’m not sure if it’s the brightest but it is brighter than the XinTD V3, ( the V4 is only 70 lumens brighter than the V3 ). So I’m betting its still brighter. It also beats the 1600 lumen Rong Li XM-L T6 & The Romisen RC-T601 II U2. Just sayin.

+1 - I don't have any stock C8's right now, but my bet is on the LM C8 XML U3. rdrfronty posted stock lumens/throw #'s months ago on the U2 version, and it was pretty good. I'm assuming any of the new XM-L2 C8's will have the fade-away problem after a few minutes of runtime on the battery because of the high Vf demand. I only did tests on mod'ed XM-L2 C8's, but after about 15 mins on a Panasonic PD, the XML U3 had the advantage. The old LM C8's were direct drive, that's why you got good #'s, but you have all the known issues - good battery means over-driven badly with heat sag issues, shortened runtime, etc.

Now that I know the brightest stock lights have the inherent over-amps problems, I stopped recommending any of those stock lights to friends. I'll pretty much only recommend the XinTD or Convoy C8's - anything with a regulated driver.

Thanks Tom, very good point. It’s not just about absolute lumens if you’re going to run the light for a while. In my particular application it won’t be run for more than about 5 minutes at a time and will have a fresh charge most of the time.

Well, I bought 18sixfifty’s UF-V3 with a dedomed XP-G2 in it! Should be a thrower for sure.

Still finding the C8 comparisons fascinating, any more data, opinions, etc.?

I own the lightmalls C8 with XM-L U3 and the Xin TD V4 with an XM-L2. On start up the lights have very similar power, both starting about 930 lumens. Like Tom said the Xin Td has much better regulation and only drops 17 lumens in 30 seconds. The Lightmalls C8 however drops to 835 lumens in 30 seconds. Almost 100 lumens. Both are very bright but I trust the Xin TD a lot more for longevity.

Are the C8 and C12 bodies interchangeable? Is there a 2 cell version of this light? It looks like a SWEET MT-G2 host!

Thanks! This is the kind of real-world comparison I was hoping to generate.

How are you measuring the lumen drop?

light box I would guess, it reiterates what I was saying above, if you just wish to click on, amaze mates, click off go direct drive.

If you want to use the light, go regulated, my c8 upgrade build uses one of the good v10 drivers from intloutdoor and an xm-l2 its fairly impressive and with a nw emitter in an op reflector, gives a lovely usable light.

bright? yeah its “enough” useful? dammed straight it is.