Acebeam K40M...Should I buy it?

Hi guys,

I’m thinking of buying the K40M with this next retirement ‘check’.

What say you guys?

Should I or shouldn’t I?

BG has it on ‘private’ “email only” sale for $85… Anything else I should be looking at?

Not hurting for a new light right now, and I do understand that there is always something new, just around the corner.

But - Will it be as good as the K40M?

I do value your opinions…

Thanks,
-Chuck

I loved my K40M. Sold it more or less out of necessity. Tint is awesome. Brightness is incredible. It will not please a true thrower-lover, but it will throw very nicely. K60 is the next step up, but at a higher cost--and with a lot more heat to go with its increased power & throw. Both are great lights. No reason a flashholic should NOT own the K40M.

I like it. It’s nice and bright, but it’s also big and heavy. If you don’t mind the heft, you’ll probably like it. The magnetic control ring is an awesome interface, and it’s a high quality light. Here’s my review I did a while back if you haven’t seen it. It’s a good value if you can get it for that price.

If you are going stock, I say the K40M is a winner. If you like to mod, I would suggest the Crelant 7G10 (this link is from a quick search. Don't know the vendor). It's got a slightly bigger diameter head, holds one more cell, and is not a magnetic control ring controlled. I personally consider magnetic control rings a con as they limit driver options. It's slightly lighter than the K40M until you load with 4 cells. They are fairly cheap because they are so under driven stock.

Here is a mod that is way more then is needed with regards to the emitter mount/pill mod portion.

EDIT: In addition to mod effort, you would need to install a new driver to make the light really perform.

EDIT2: Forgot. Also very nice machine work, anodizing, AR coated lens, and stainless steel bezel.

I say go for it—I own 3 K40Mvn—- one 5000k very nice—one 4000k nicer because I like warm—one 5000k dedome warm tint not as pretty as the 4000k but it throws a wall of light in the 180k range

It is a very nice light. Powerful, big and heavy. Great light color and the things you light up actually looks right as well. With many other LEDs things look weird when lit by a LED. I guess that is true for other lights with MTG2 LED. Good runtimes.

I like mine a lot. But it is not as useful as something you can have in your pocket...

I would expect that there would be something newer and better by now?

a beautiful light !
i love mine!

and some more percent of power can be squeezed out with just a resistor mod :wink:

Wait, Acebeam! Aren’t they those guys that make hazardous flashlights J)

It was my favorite stock light, for the money you can’t go wrong! I still have it but i did a resistor mod, carrier spring, positive spring bypass, removed the centering ring, and it now throws an even more beautiful beam, it’s one of my favorites bar none.

have you more info or pics from your mod?

Yep I followed your mod Max! Didn’t break any of the magnet sensor’s though, but when I drilled out the 3 screws I messed up the threads, I drilled a little too deep, so I re-tapped them with 2-56 button heads instead, then went crazy silicone wire bypassing everything!!! :wink:

I say go for it!

Among my many lights, my K40M is a ‘keeper’. The reasons are:

• Beautiful tint. The MT-G2 (5000K) is, IMO, very easy on the eye
  • User-friendly UI. You can dial-in any of the 6 levels (including moonlight) before turning it on.
  • Well-made, good anodizing etc
  • Price vs performance: it’s hard to be beat

So there you have it. At $85 it’s a no-brainer. Go for it :smiley:

It’s a Done Deal.

The deal expired tonight and I found that I just couldn’t resist the K40M any longer, so I pulled the trigger.

I read with great interest all of the posts to this thread, but didn’t want to post again so as not to influence the thread.

Being retired and so having reduced income, this light that should have been a no-brainer, was a big purchase for me.

I wish to thank everyone for their replies - You guys are Great Salesmen!

Thanks again!

-Chuck

I’ve had my K40M for three months and it always makes me smile when I turn it on. Have fun when it arrives!

Any idea where I can still get one of these?

Check Hkequipment: http://www.hkequipment.net/product-p/k40m.htm

$130

probably even has a discount coupon. But why not go for something newer? Although its a great light, probably for not much more you can have more output.. if that is your thing

There are occasional deals on used ones on ebay. I picked up a used K60 for $110 about a year ago. A K40M is a lower end model so you may find it cheaper.

At the moment I’m looking for lights with the MTG2 LED.

I still use k40m, great light no matter it’s age.