Adjusting the number of posts per thread?

Just try Opera browser with Turbo on, it has built in data compression - saves tons of data especially on images. Make sure you turn the compression on, last time I used it the option was off by default.

SB doesn’t mind this sort of query so definitely do send him a pm.

Wow that is too much indeed , I have optic-fiber connection with 5MBdownl./2.5MB upload. unlimited for 13$ per month, and yes I do live
in economical underdeveloped country !

Big +1 for Opera with Turbo, both on the desktop and for Android. I used to activate data packets of ~10MB for $1 on my Android smartphone, and with Opera Mini with images disabled and Opera Turbo compression enabled, I could easily browse all day long until the battery died without getting anywhere near my data limit.

I’m getting some great feedback and it helps me in a positive way for sure. I think there is hope if I ask the right questions so here goes,
Is Opera browser a stand alone or an add-on to Firefox?

Is Google Chrome worth adding? Just seems like it is too invasive but I’m only going on hearsay other than unstalling it from my dear mammys (83 yrs old) PC. She installs things like that because it’s so easy to click “agree” O:) >:#

I’ll wait a bit before PM’ing SB and maybe it won’t be necessary. I have to hear about Opera and it sounds great to me if it cures my ailment!!!

Nikola S, Yes, how I ponder at times of living in a reasonably priced environment. I understand as you do (implied :slight_smile: ) that there is high expense to operate the internet world, but it shouldn’t mean they can put the screws to the customer. I am happy for everyone that can enjoy the web at a fair price, and wait for the day we see it too!

My mobile PC connection (Virgin Mobile Pre-paid Wifi) is similar but a bit less costly. I use it as little as possible since open wifi’s are common at stores around here. Firefox had a “no add-ons” option that disables most pics (and a lot of ads) from loading but I don’t know if that will reduce the bandwith used since the sites will still be trying to transmit them.

The US has websites to find open wifis wherever you go- perhaps there’s something like that where you are. If you do use public wifi your security needs to be good- they’re favorite spots for hackers to try their skills at. I look for the less-used ones to minimize the chances of being on with a hacker present- they go for the most popular spots.

Phil

It looks as though Opera is a nice choice for increased speed and reducing data usage which is what I am after, but it is reviewed as less secure. While it is very nice review and I am tempted to try it, first I have to overlook the review making the choice for speed as a trade-off for security. For now security is winning out but then I only have 1 day of reduced BLF surfing under my belt, so it is still early and things can change.

I think for now, at least to satisfy my data intake habit, I’ll surely be visiting some in-town cousins and share the wifi there. You know, where unlimited usage is the norm.

I’ve been living out in the quiet country for 6+ years and I hope this site doesn’t end up being “the” reason I move into town! lol

I wonder just how serious this addiction can get! :smiley:

SB’s response on the migration discussion thread:

Funny, he didn’t directly say so in post #13 of this discussion.

Bummer! I also used 300 posts per page to speed up searches. I hope a way is found to bring this back.

Seconded. I would love to see 300 comments per page again.

I save threads as MHTML files on my PC and read them on my tablet so I would use even more. But 300 is the maximum in Drupal 7.

I found this but I have no clue if it is useful.

(Sorry, my first post and not about flashlights. Well, next time.)

Before RC beats me to it!!! >-)

Which Resident Evil game is that from? :p

RE4?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/925156-resident-evil-4/44892322

I should have known that! :tired:

RE4 is the last Resident Evil game that I've played. :)

Maybe try a text based browser?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx\_(web_browser)

Also available for the PortableApps platform if you want to try it without installing it, run from a flash drive.

+1….You can slash 90% bandwidth consumption for browsing really…

I’m checking into some of these options and really appreciate the help. Until I can decide what works best for my data consumption at home I will just have to get online in town and use the other laptop. In the meantime I will be hoping the forums software can someday offer individual user-options that allow the choice of minimal or maximum number of posts per page! It never hurts to hope O:-)

Opera 12.18 (presto) had the option to either load an image from cache after X time or from website…Setting it for like 1 month should have been great. However, its been abandoned. Not sure if other browsers have this capability.
You could use the classic opera just for this forum if you want.

Thanks for the help y’all. :slight_smile: I guess I’m going to install classic opera asap, but first I have to make a recovery disc,just wiped and installed OS on spare laptop to be used in town. Is anyone using it?

saw a solution, thought of this thread, see below