Advice needed on budget knife selection

And here’s one of my G620 right after edge reprofiling

@Oscar:
The Enlan EL01 is the knife, most members recommend in this forum. It's solid, has great quality and you will like it. Please don't compare the flipper with a $200 knife. The ZT 0560 flips really easy - you touch it and the blade flips (you don't need any action of the hand). The EL01 flips if you move the hand quickly (out of the box). Of course you can replace the washers and it will flip better.

Heavy worker:
Take a look at this youtube review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axX_vsTvDWE

I’ll agree that a Tenacious is a great $35 worth but outside the U.S.A. and into the E.U. and the U.K. then the $35 becomes nearer $70 it doesn’t make as much sense, I bought a (well 3 actually) Paramilitary 2 clone for around $20 delivered, the same price for a Vallotton or Hungarian clone. Those 3 cost less to buy than a single Tenacious. Shipping, Import taxes and another layer of profit means things are more expensive for us in the U.K. when bought from the U.S.A. than from China. A single knife imported for $20 falls below the threshold for taxation. The more expensive knife doesn’t, skewing things in favour of the direct from China knife.

Seems like a lot of info has been added to the thread just when I was away :slight_smile:
Thank you all for this great input, and now to answer some questions from some members:

Blade length: up to 9cm (or 3.55 inch) is ok, anything over 10cm is a problem in my country.
Handle material: G10 or micarta is good, I do NOT want wood.
Handle color: Black or grey is my favorite, but I will not shy away from some striking colors :slight_smile:
Blade: normal blade, no serration but coating is an option.
Lock system: I have no real experience with locking systems. But I am located in europe, which seems to be relevant for some locking systems(but not really concerned about that).

It seems there is now enough options to choose from looking at all of the posts from members who replied, it’s very much appreciated. This will make my searching more easier and effective on websites like Aliexpress(and a few others). I will probably buy more then one knife, at these prices I can try out a few and see what I like and maybe gift a few to some friends.

How about a Sanrenmu 7010 black stonewashed?

You live in Europe like some other here, too (me included). You should check the laws in your country.

For example here in Germany: You are not allowed to carry knives with a lock and which could be opened with one hand. You can own these, but not carry these in your pocket on the street.
If you remove the thumpin and it could only be opened with two hands, it's ok. Spyderco with the thumb hole are a problem, because you have to close the completet hole.
If it has a thumbpin and hasn't a look (slipjoint), it's also ok.

Many countries in the EU have similar laws, but not the same.

About the lock:
You will find a few on the market. Linerlock (maybe the most used easy to close the knife with one hand), monolock (similar as a linerlock), axislock (look at post #10 - my G704 have these) or backlock (you need both hands to close the knife).

The laws are there to signal a norm and for the police to act upon to when maintaining peace and quiet. Having a knife on you in broad daylight doing everyday tasks is one thing, a knife in pocket while out drinking on a saturday night quite a different thing - common sense goes a long way if you want to contribute to a liveable society.

@Buwuve - I will admit I haven't tried any of the good chinese brands. I have been tempted to grab something off fasttech but wasn't sure what to get. Any of the ones I have seen might look good but the blade would not hold an edge.

@KaiserSosa - I've have 3 spyderco knives and none have been that sharp from the factory. In case you care the steels were 8cr14mov, S110V, and S30V. Imo initial sharpness is nice but I don't care as the knife will have to be sharpened after a while anyway. Well, I did care with the S110V as re-profiling that steel is a bear!

Ok, I ordered an enlan el-01B, and one ganzo g620 from fasttech.
Hopefully that’ll be good for a while.

They’ll be good! If you do need any advice then just ask, there is a washer and pivot kit available from Lazy Lizard Gear - his postage charges are not too bad but it’s better to order a couple of sets in case you get bitten by the EL-01 bug like I have.

Boker Magnum A-Stan and RUI Energy series along with an EL-01D with rosewood scales.

The tan, the grey and the wood scald ones have my own version of the Lazy Lizard Gear pivot screw, his looks better though.

It was Germany where I bought a lot of those knives that the blade come out of the front by spring, when I went through Army customs on the way home, he asked if I had anything to throw into the amnesty box before entering the official inspection zone, I said no, as I strolled past it, when one of them slipped out of concealment and hit the floor, I said, “except this”, he got so hot and bothered that he went to turn me into higher authority, who told him that my unit was authorized such weapons, luckily he got so flustered that he didn’t find all the others that I had hidden.

In those conditions I’d definitely go for the lock rather than one hand opening. I can manage using two hands, but the lock is a vital safety feature. I’d raid the Spanish sites for a Navaja with a 20cm or longer blade. Two hand opening with a lock. A perfect knife. :slight_smile:

All knives of Enlan, Sanrenmu use 8cr14mov or 8cr13mov steel, some 12C27 stainless steel. Ganzo use 440C and 440 (maybe A) steel - the bigger knives have 440C the smaller are only marked with 440.
Of course S110V and S30V is better, if you have hard work for the knives.

Such knives are illegal in Germany, balisongs, too. You are not allowed to own one. Till 2003 you are allowed to own these.

Of course you will always find some small shops, where you can buy these (under the table).

It's important to know, what you want to do with the knife. If you want it only for little actions like cutting vegetables or rope on a camping trip, peeling an orange, open letters or packages a lock isn't necessary.
For hard works, a lock is important.

During the 1980s those front opening knives were common in Germany, I think I bought most of them at the train station.

I wonder why they outlawed them?

Ok, in the 1980s is a long time ago. I wasn't in knives these days (to young). in the 90s it began with a balisong, because every teenager want one and made some moves (this was the time, I watched the Bruce Lee movies the first time).

Maybe they changed it, because more and more violance started with knives.

Many other countries here in the EU have similar laws, China does also change the laws (the reason, why Sanrenmu produce now some slipjoints, shorter blade as 9cm under the blue line label for the chinese market).

I do like my Cold Steel Eland.

It’s my favourite “around the house” knife.

Like here in Italy…
If a cop find a small Victorinox in your bag/pants/keychain(like my) and he want to smash your ass, it’s a big mess.

1. Confiscation
  2. Complaint
  3. Process/lawsuit
  4. No jail but maybe a year or more lost in a court (and money lost of an advocate), and a fine.

Just for a fuc…g Sak with a 6cm blade.

There is only a possibility: the “justifiable reason”: if you go fishing, hunting on so on. But I know of some guys with a small Mora knife take in the wood and then all the big mess (confiscation etc etc).

Always it depends on who stops you, I mean what kind of police man.
But don’t forget that here in Italy is very difficoult to take the firearms licenze too…

While we are OT and the OP is considering the options that have been suggested, I would like to chime in on the current discussion.

I've very grateful that the knife laws in South Carolina are very relaxed. If any thing, I feel safer. Regardless of the laws, those with ill intentions will likely carry knives anyway. That or find a clever way to be dangerous via loopholes, etc. Law abiding citizens shouldn't lose rights because of the bad behavior of a few.

Personally, I consider my knives as tools and not weapons. I think I would be more likely to hurt myself if I attempted to use a knife to defend myself. With boxing and wrestling background I see stabbing/slashing myself as a very high probability as I'm use to having my hands near my body and face for defense and striking.

That’s what the karambit style knife is designed for. It allows you to cut with the blade projecting below your hand and punching, while being curved away from your body makes it more difficult to cut yourself.

I placed my first order of chinese folding knives at Aliespress of 4 items in total:

Ganzo G717-B
Ganzo G720-B
Enlan Bee EL02B
Ganzo G704-B

At the last moment I removed the Y-Start knife, although I liked the looks of it……maybe in a second order :slight_smile:
Let’s see when they arrive, hopefully I can report back with positive info.