Advice needed on EDC 18650

JohnnyMac has a preliminary review up now, too!

You must have large pockets to EDC a C8 :smiley:

Throw is a matter of reflector size and ratio to the LED surface area. If a C8 isn’t cutting it for you, then your choices are:

-reduce the LED size in a C8 sized reflector. An XP-G2, or even an XP-E2 in a C8 should out throw an XM-L2 one. But the beam will be narrower, lower lumens and less bright spill.

Int’l Outdoor do (or did) sell an XP-G2 C8. I built myself one with a 3.0A Qlite driver, Noctigon XP-G2 and a Convoy C8. It does have an OP reflector, but I struggle to believe a SMO reflector would transform the light.

-Move up a reflector size. But physically bigger than a C8 is, IMO hardly an EDC sized light.

For example, the Jacob A60 uses an old XR-E emitter, but has a slightly larger reflector than a C8. My A60 out throws my XP-G2 C8. But the A60 is strictly a jacket pocket sized light.

I honestly doubt any torches of similar size to a C8 will out throw a C8. The Convoy L4 I think uses the same reflector. Ok it might have a slightly better thermal path, but the reality is, the only improvement you’ll see will be on a lux meter, not with the naked eye.

Obviously more power and higher output the better the throw though. But there can be a fine line where this is noticeable.

De-doming the LED might be worth considering if you don’t mind modding. But can cause tint shifts and other issues if you are unlucky.

Some kind of aspheric lens might offer another solution, but I’m not certain you’ll really top a C8 in throw unless you go for a much bigger light. I’ve got an Aleto, which looks like a giant SK68 and runs on a 26650. I run the same Qlite 3amp driver and XP-G2 as I do in my C8. You’d swear it looks like it’ll throw further with it’s laser looking beam, but the reality is, there is almost no difference between them.

I suppose the other question is, what you need to illuminate at 150 metres distance?

I know my C8 will happily light up the side of a building or a car at that distance no problem.

I know what you mean, years ago I wouldn’t have called anything larger than an Eagletac D25C an EDC, but with the aid of belt clips, holsters, or simply in a jacket pocket I’ve learnt to give up some convenience for the extra lumens.

I’m confident that the cells I’m using are fine, and I guess like with all things what once impressed now just seems the standard.
4.6A or so last time I checked.
While I appreciate how well the C8’s perform I was under the impression that the lights I mentioned were on another level.

As a side note, while the C8 is much smaller, I’ve found my Qlite driven XP-G2 one can only match my old MagCharger still running it’s stock bulb!!! Ok, I now run the MagCharger on 6S AA Eneloops for a slightly higher voltage than the stock battery used to give. But still think the old Mag is impressive for an un-modded incan.

EDC doesn’t mean it has to be carried in your pocket, but yeah I was of that way inclined myself too so I see your point.

Really?
I thought the HS-802 reflector was quite a bit bigger than the one in a C8, well much deeper anyway.
Going to have to look that up now, hope my C8 never reads this.

They still have to adhere to the same laws of physics though. And by and large are using the same/similar components too.

While searching I also found a C8 which now is being made with a larger reflector than that of previous models, maybe it’s as simple as sticking to the C8 but with a larger reflector and L2 instead of T6.

Needs to be larger diameter. Depth will tighten or loosen the size of the spill and it’s intensity, but won’t likely affect PEAK throw.

Might just have to dedome and see how it goes.

Tale a look at post 18 and click on the links. I swear by all of these. The most powerful will be the group buy special edition X6 but it does not fit inconspicously into a shirt pocket like the tube lights.

My favorite is the F30 for EDC but the X6 is one hell of a light. At what they cost...buy two (one of each).. You will not be sorry and I can promise that.

Make sure your XML is on copper MCPCB also. Direct drive is wasted on Aluminum, that and a dedome could satisfy your need for throw. I have a Best $2 mod you can get! :wink:

Yeah I can see it’s not going to be a hard decision at all for me here, I’m sold.

Best $2 mod?
I’m listening :slight_smile:

Hello, It is not realy a thrower but for EDC it is a great and seriously bright light: Fenix E35UE.
It runs on one 18650 and features a XM-L2 U2. (900 real lumens). Nice modes and verry compact.
greetz Bart

Thanks mate, but it’s purely a thrower that I’m looking for atm.
Cheers.

Reflow the emitter with an old fry pan onto one of these should get you an extra 20% in lumens, then dedome in gasoline or simply run it in your C8 for 5 minutes then lift the dome of and that should double the lux. Watch this to get an idea of how it’s done.

Cheers mate, appreciated.

I suggest any of these over any of the ones you listed - all 18650, EDC-style, available under $50:

Olight S20
Nitecore P12
Thrunite TN12
Intl-Outdoor T12

All the lights you listed are really huge for EDC.

I have an Olight S20. Throw monster it is not. Max lumens with a single 18650 are 500lm. You can get a bit more with 2XCR123, at 550lm. But, the OP is looking for throw only, and it must be better throw than his current C8. I don’t think any of the smaller EDC’s will come close. What he’s looking for is going to be larger than what you might really think of as an EDC.

After gathering a bit more info, and reading a few reviews it seems the one I liked the look of most, the Warsun CT9T has been mentioned more than a few times as being a better thrower than the C8.

Just ordered a couple of XM L2 emitters on copper stars, now it’s just a matter of finding a good 4.5A-5A driver, a quick dedome, and belt clip (as I do still consider this sized light an EDC) which is far from being pocket friendly, there is a difference imo.

Can’t see myself missing the C8 at all, but I’m sure that isn’t the first time anyone has made the mistake of thinking that only to be proven wrong.

Appreciate all who posted and helped in any way at all.
Cheers.