Advice on today’s “best” charger.

I don't have a BT-C3100, my above advice was meant to enlighten wishiwereaskibum with regards to what he found missing on it. A recommendation it wasn't.

I had a Opus BT-C3100 (version 1.0 I think). Ran great for years. I had to upgrade the fan, and the plastic posts that hold the springs for each bay broke. But after that it was great. For the price, and a few draw backs, its a great charger.

I then upgraded to the SkyRC MC3000 and couldn’t be happier. The initial setup took an hour or so (just having to set each program for what you want it to do). But it’s a solid charger and you can charge 4 26650’s side-by-side, which my Opus couldn’t do.

If the Opus was on sale, I wouldn’t mind getting another one. But if my MC3000 ever breaks, I’m buying a new one instantly.

From what I’ve checked, the Xtar Dragon VP4 Plus package does come with an AC power block. The unit doesn’t have storage mode though.

I think very few chargers at this time have storage mode, I only know these ones:

SkyRC MC3000 (I use one and I love it, just need to learn to program it once then save the programs and use each for your different battery types). (I’m more of a technical person though, so I love the configurability and am not intimidated by the potentially-confusing UI for people who prefer easier UI)

Xtar VC4S = has capacity test and storage mode, but uses micro-USB power input, non-configurable charging current (the auto charge current may be too high for small-capacity but low-resistance battery types)

Xtar VC8 = as capacity test & storage mode, but uses USB type-C power input (QuickCharge 2.0 9v for best performance), it improves on the VC4S by allowing manually changing the charging current, and will fit protected 21700 batteries.

The Vapecell S4 Plus has storage mode. You just have to set the termination voltage at 3.7V for Li Ion. It also comes with a power brick.

I know! It’s hard to find the storage mode without the hobby charger highly advanced UI. I’m really leaning towards the skyRc, save a few programs and just be sure to THINK before charging. But, I’m really looking for a place and go charger that ou kids won’t burn the house down with if they think they’re smart and try and use it. I’ve shown them a bunch of videos about LiPo batteries burning up and really hot and have kept them away from my hobby chargers, but this feels different. Round cells don’t require balance cables, choosing the right connector, sequence of starting a PS, then a charger….

I’m going to continue to think hard about my needs. I’m still leaning towards simpler controls for ease of use reasons, but torn. I’m not keen of the 8 slot 3A VC8 as it seems like small current per cell, but if I only use 4 slots, it’s 50% more current available then the VC4.

Suck it up and get the SkyRC and deal with a bit of setup each time I charge? I see a potential pire with one small mishap!

With the SkyRC, what happens if you tell it the capacity is 3500 mAhr but the cell only has 2500 of capacity? Is it smart enough to shut down at 4.2v? I guess I have more research to do, but all of your comments are appreciated and please keep this thread moving forward with more comments.

Thanks!

“Am I simply crazy wanting a dedicated storage mode?”

No, I’m in the same boat right now. Illum was selling LG batteries and I stocked up. I want them stored at a storage voltage (they came at 3.6V measured, so worries about them) but I have more batteries and I feel the same way.

Looking forward to BLF charger https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/57498 but know that things like this can appear tantalizingly close but still be a long way off.

For storage mode check Xtar VC4S

Thank you guru HKJ! Your réputation and advise is highly regardes!

However, I’m really not liking that charger because:
1- it seems to charge at high charge rates , non-selectable
2- it will not fit any 18650 protected cells

Is this information I have still accurate?

Can anyone point me towards a good SkyRC MC3000 “ho to use” video? I’ve seen a bunch, most are good, but what I’m seeking is how to set up say 8 profiles.
1- storage of 18650
2- storage of 27650
3-4. Charge of above
5-6 cycle of above
7-8 charge of eneloop AA or AAA

Perhaps using both advanced mode and dummy mode?

I can’t be unique in my need to EASILY “place and go” batteries most of the time while having the ability to do deep analysis upon occasion to see where the battery is in life cycle. Currently I basically use my DVM to check internal resistance and use that as the main gauge of a cells health.

Thanks
Merci
Danke
Orbigado
Gracias
Dank je
Grazie

just arrived!!

1- yes, that’s a bit of an issue, especially for cells smaller than 18650.

2- it fits cells up to 70mm long, so most protected 18650 cells should fit fine.

Rethinking everything now… I have enough eneloop branded simple chargers to take care of all those cells ….

I did not say it was perfect, it is very hard (aka impossible) to find a charger that is.
You have to weight things: What do I need, user interface, price, how many chargers to full fill the requirement, etc.
My best chargers are the SkyRC MC3000, but that do not mean I use them for everything (I do not like the user interface).

Can the MC3000 be had for < $100?

Where is the lowest price on the MC3000?

I've been using a XtarVC4,MC1 and Nitecore D4

I own a Sky NC2500 for many years that I purchased in Asia and very happy with it charging my AA and AAA(with US plug adapter).

I use the phone app for resetting and firmware updates so I guess the MC3000 has these features also.

Th Sky RC is currently $110 Us on ProgressiveRC… a bit cheaper other places but I’m willing to pay a bit more for US seller!!!
@whatsthepoint - are you “easily” able to do basic plug and charge operations with your SkyRC, or do you really need to set up each slot carefully? I’m quite worried about my kid throwing in an cheap knock off 18650 with 500mA capacity, and trying to charge it at 5A, 5000 mAhr capacity, and zero temperature nor time shut off protection … Smart (but dumb) kids do stuff …

I just bought one from ProgressiveRC in part for their price, but also because they will handle warranty repairs and have a good reputation. The shipping was prompt and well done.

Unlike the SKY MC3000,the Sky NC2500 I have does not do Li-ion.

It's only a AA and AAA charger for NIHM an NICD but nonetheless an excellent charger.

The RC3000 has to be run in advanced mode to be worth its price.
This also means that you have to select (or make) a program for each operation you want to do. It has a couple of safety features, i.e. you cannot charge a NiMH in LiIon mode (Or even discharge a 4.35V cell i 4.2V mode, rather irritating), but it will not prevent you from using a high current on a low current cell.

I don't know if the Xtar Dragon is off the table yet.....but it can be had for $55 from 18650batterystoredotcom

Still working on XTar Dragon VC4 Plus analysis, but any help pointing towards an appropriate power block would be helpful…

Oh yes, I get that one needs to use all features to justify the cost! But for a few times a year, it may bring value. I’m kind of thinking I could create my 10 profiles, then create a cheat sheet - lookup chart, so if I want to charge a AA Enalope I pick program 1, program 2 to charge q18650s etc… sounds like a bit of initial set up then pretty easy place, select correct program, verify, and go…? Unlike my Hyperion hobby chargers which I’m anal retentive about a checklist procedure and reading battery packs as I verify charger settings… never had a fire…yet… and want to keep it that way!