Advice on today’s “best” charger.

Can the MC3000 be had for < $100?

Where is the lowest price on the MC3000?

I've been using a XtarVC4,MC1 and Nitecore D4

I own a Sky NC2500 for many years that I purchased in Asia and very happy with it charging my AA and AAA(with US plug adapter).

I use the phone app for resetting and firmware updates so I guess the MC3000 has these features also.

Th Sky RC is currently $110 Us on ProgressiveRC… a bit cheaper other places but I’m willing to pay a bit more for US seller!!!
@whatsthepoint - are you “easily” able to do basic plug and charge operations with your SkyRC, or do you really need to set up each slot carefully? I’m quite worried about my kid throwing in an cheap knock off 18650 with 500mA capacity, and trying to charge it at 5A, 5000 mAhr capacity, and zero temperature nor time shut off protection … Smart (but dumb) kids do stuff …

I just bought one from ProgressiveRC in part for their price, but also because they will handle warranty repairs and have a good reputation. The shipping was prompt and well done.

Unlike the SKY MC3000,the Sky NC2500 I have does not do Li-ion.

It's only a AA and AAA charger for NIHM an NICD but nonetheless an excellent charger.

The RC3000 has to be run in advanced mode to be worth its price.
This also means that you have to select (or make) a program for each operation you want to do. It has a couple of safety features, i.e. you cannot charge a NiMH in LiIon mode (Or even discharge a 4.35V cell i 4.2V mode, rather irritating), but it will not prevent you from using a high current on a low current cell.

I don't know if the Xtar Dragon is off the table yet.....but it can be had for $55 from 18650batterystoredotcom

Still working on XTar Dragon VC4 Plus analysis, but any help pointing towards an appropriate power block would be helpful…

Oh yes, I get that one needs to use all features to justify the cost! But for a few times a year, it may bring value. I’m kind of thinking I could create my 10 profiles, then create a cheat sheet - lookup chart, so if I want to charge a AA Enalope I pick program 1, program 2 to charge q18650s etc… sounds like a bit of initial set up then pretty easy place, select correct program, verify, and go…? Unlike my Hyperion hobby chargers which I’m anal retentive about a checklist procedure and reading battery packs as I verify charger settings… never had a fire…yet… and want to keep it that way!

The VP4 Dragon comes with a 12V 3A wall adapter and a car adapter. The reviews seem to be very positive, even though some of us would like to see voltage of the cells on the display.

“… I would say the biggest challenge I’m having right now is finding a charger that has both AC input (or at least comes with a power block), and has a dedicated storage mode… ”

I like AC input too, which was why I bought the New I2 and D2 Nitecores. They worked well. For flexibility, I have two others on fast USB chargers the XTAR PB2S and Nitecore UMS4. But for AC input, you might want to take a look at the New Nitecore I2, D2 or their 4-slot equivalents New I4 and D4. I’m not sure if either has storage mode. Good luck!

New I2 on Left, D2 on Right

If you allow me to ask a quick question in your thread - does anybody know of a charger (1-bay preferred) that can show battery voltage without being connected to electricity? I know about the Opus but the common reviews show bad build quality.

Sucked it up and bought this one from amazon a minute ago. Arrives tomorrow. Gotta love prime!

I wanted the VCS4 PLUS, newer, probes, ps included. I’ve got enough ps blocks hanging around I may be able to dedicate one…? But storage made easy and price made this an easy choice. Yup, I paid a small premium to amazon, oh well, it’ll be here in 24 hours or less.

Thanks.

Let’s not close this thread though… additional thoughts are welcome as I know this is a huge topic, and I’ll probably opt for an ultimate charger soon enough.

Remember 1984, read a mag, call to order, arrive 3 weeks later at a premium of $20 to ship? Lol

Oh, and this is to supplement my Nitecore D4 ….

New thought. How can we petition the various above charger makers to quickly put a storage function into some of the mentioned chargers? Or, can anyone here write some firmware to do do? Wouldn’t that be so great?

Poll, is there a market for storage needs? Am I one of the few who find this important?

We are working on one:

Highly aware, referenced in here, and have been recently actively contributing to the dialogue. I don’t see it happening for a LONG time having done lots of product development…

But thanks for the input.

Any thoughts on the topic replies to… simply add a store mode to any one of the mentioned EXISTING platforms?

It seems to be a not often implemented feature, yet for myself, and I’d assume anyone with a lot of cells, seems to be a key to preventative maintenance.

|

I’ve flown RC planes / Drones for 10+ years, when I 1st started none of the chargers had storage mode and it wasn’t something that was even discussed.
I’d just bought about £380 of new batteries and then cosntantly bad weather broke my addiction for flying and had a 2 year break leaving all my new batteries fully charged …… When I came to start again 2 years later they were all totally destroyed.

Now virtually every RC battery charger has storage mode (along with cycle for mah capacity, IR, and any charge rate you want) the DJI drones have “smart” batteries that you set them up / choose the interval that if you don’t use them for your chosen period of time i.e. 3/4 days they automatically discharge to storage.

Give it a few more years and “household” battery chargers will probably catch up (although they have been slow to offer comparible functionality), the alternative if you really want everything is buy a decent RC charger (some have 4 charging ports) and cradles for the betteries you want but it’d be a pain in the ass if you use lots of different battery sizes and regularly switch between them.

I have just ordered some cradles for 18650’s to use with mine for testing etc. but it is less hassle to have a charger that “more easily” charges different size batteries.

it will charge & terminate as normal , the capacity option is just another safety feature if you decide to use

it ,i set the capacity higher than the cells capacity to make sure it doesn’t terminate early.

I feel your pain!

Hence my paranoia about properly storing batteries! I’ve lost a few 6S 8000 mAhr packs or similar and at $150 a pop you get real sensitive to proper LiPo storage.

For these cylinders, I really don’t want the time and expense of specifying, sourcing, building the setup to my Hyperion chargers. I’m really looking for that press and go, easy, cost effective, can leave on office shelf kinda black box that works. I say this and my head once again turns to the SkyRC and “love the rich feature set”.

As you mentioned, the Opus BT-C100 does it (as long as the battery inserted in the unpowered BT-C100 slot is still at least 3.0-volts or higher).

The Nitecore F1 charger also “blinks” out the battery voltage while unpowered and a battery is inserted in the slot — it blinks x.y volts (ie. it rounds (up or down?) to the nearest tenth of a volt, then blinks out the voltage), but the F1 is just a basic charger.