Advice Please - LED 350m+

Thanks oldman777 that is on the short list
@dhvl1357 - that is a serious flashlight! found one on gearbest on sale —- http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_359831.html
the lightsngear.com has some pics as well of it in action.

Had a look through more posts in this forum and fenix seem well regarded any suggestions from this list?

cheers

Yes there is it, the Convoy L6 :wink:

Basically Thorfire S70 or Convoy L6 is what I would say.
A huge amount of light perfect for lighting up fields and larger areas.

Price ia about the same, beam is about the same, cells to be used are the same.
They look different and feel different
Plus on the L6, neutral white tint
Plus on the S70, side switch has colored LEDs so you know how cell charge is and it comes with a lot more goodies in the box.

I have this light and I agree completely. Any C8 even fully modded lacks ‘punch’ at the distances you want. The Maxtoch will let them know they have been well-seen. It does have a tight beam but so will anything which reaches that far in a reasonably priced light. And it is very popular with night hunters there so if you don’t like it, you should have no trouble selling it quickly at near full price so you can try something else. If you haven’t experienced these modern lights you might want to try a C8 too- it’s a great light for the size and price, and quite enough at shorter ranges.

You will need cell(s) and a charger. That is not a place to go cheap for many reasons including safety. High performance lights need high performance cells to give you all they have to offer and with the right charger makes for a good investment which can work with the many different lights you will find yourself buying for years to come :wink: That happens to all of us once we discover how good and fun flashlights can be today :sunglasses:

Phil

Hmm, max/mid/min, no epilepsy modes… I think I’m sold!

Quick question(s)?

What’s the CT/tint of the critter? I’m worried that if dedomed, there’d be some green-shift, and worse, an already CW LED would become CerW into the 8500K range. :stuck_out_tongue:

Worst case, I can swap out that with an XM-L HI and be happy, but would be nice if the color would be tolerable right out of the tin.

I’ve got C8s coming out my bum, and was looking for a nice thrower.

mudgripz had posted comparison beamshots in the development thread and the xml2 u4 DD clearly was a nicer warm than the xpl hi.

Correction: that was robo819

Also, dedoming tends to shift the color temperature warmer, not cooler. See here for some measurements:

Hmm. I’ve got some nice candidates like 5000K XP-L HI (nekkid; need to reflow ’em), and XM-L2 in 4300K and 5000K.

“Development thread” for what? The Maxtoch? Will try searching for it, tnx!

Ooh, excellent! I never dedomed anything before, and was under the impression it was the other way.

Ah, ripping off pieces of the phosphor coating and exposing the nekkid blue chip, that’s probably why.

Hmm, I might just try it now… :smiley:

Great, tnx!

Oh, yes you’re right that can happen too. I guess if you dedome then scrape a bit of phosphor away you can keep the temperature the same. :smiley:

I’d have to look it up to be certain but the Maxtoch seems to be cool to neutral white, somewhere around 4000-4500K. Not totally cold and glarish but definitely not warm. No need to de-dome or mod, this light kicks butt exactly as it is made, lighting up reflective signs nicely a measured mile away along the highway which serves as my test range :smiley:

Also the build quality is excellent and trouble-free. With the GB lights they did 100% production testing for us. Being intended as a weapon-mounted light it’s held up to the recoil of medium rifles well with no failures in several hundred units from what I’ve heard. Maxtoch isn’t a widely known brand but I can’t imagine anyone doing any better for less than twice the price.

Phil

To me, 4000k-4500k is solidly in NW, 5000k would be more pure-white to “white-white”, 5500k getting into the CW, and on the other side, 3500k and lower starting into the warms.

I love my ~4300K C8’s color, so that’s what I’m trying to keep. Brings out reds and browns nicely compared to CW.

As someone quoted, “designed by hunters for hunters”… sounds good to me, even though I’m not a hunter. No idiotic blinky modes or other rot, just purely functional modes (h/m/l). Given what I just read about the 2X so far, the only thing I’d change is less spill and more throw (I’m looking for a super-thrower). Too much spill would just blind me with a too-bright foreground.

Not a lot of spill with this one- it’s well-focused to throw. Ir’s darn near a light saber or wide laser beam :slight_smile: There are 3 versions of this light; the stock M24 and two improved models made for our GB’s. The last 2 are the ones to go for, with the latest one very slightly better on throw but mostly with an improved runtime. One came with a factory de-domed XM-L2 U2 and the other an XM-L HI. I think one of the improved versions is still available but again I’m not sure.

More info here:
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/35484

Phil

Hmm, now I’m a little confused. I thought the “Sniper” came along first, then the “Shooter”, which is the later one (w/ dedomed XM-L2). Wasn’t aware of the different models from the GBs.

(And I’m not yet familiar with the Maxtoch line/history, so Shooter/Sniper/2X/SN6X/M24/etc., are a blur to me, so I’m not even sure what specifically to look for when goggling around. All I know is that I want one. :smiley: )

Probably don’t want the one with the HI, because of something about running on 6A to get the same lux/lumens as the -L2dd at 4.5A, and one going pop.

Confusing, confusing… :slight_smile:

(And AX is at it again, showing me pages in german now, not italian, no way to switch to english. ?? I’m convinced they hate me…)

I’m given to understand that AX is the only place to get a 2X? They’re listed at GB (85bux or so), but “out of stock”.

Hi and welcome Prellyan. Your not by any chance living in Melbourne? I’d be happy for you to try a few torches if you are.

@MrsDNF no sorry am in brisbane - i used to live in sth yarra though - melbourne is great!

I think this one is it after watching a lot of Robo’s reviews!

However i cannot find if it is waterproof - or at least rainproof ???

Maxtoch

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MAXTOCH-New-2X-3400mAh-Batteries-Charger-Holster-Dedomed-XM-L2-U4-LED-1450lm-1200m-Distance-Ideal/32660518049.html?spm=2114.12010108.1000013.2.ihZSJt&scm=1007.13339.33317.0&pvid=2a2c05cb-e45c-46dd-8fb9-3f750b014c7f&tpp=1

That certainly ought to do what you want!

I don’t think it’s rated waterproof. It is fully O-ringed so I’d say it’s as rain-resistant as any other non-rated light, and better than many due to the well-done machining. Just my honest opinion :wink:

Phil

(Meant to add:) I don’t know which versions are available now. The XM L2 and XP Hi versions both give about an hour runtime on high but the way they ramp down differs. Neither should go ‘pop’ on you. Other than that both lights are nearly the same, the latest being a little brighter with a little more runtime but not such a big difference for most uses. I never lookedc at the original M24 but it was said to be a much lesser light. Robo819 and Mudgripz can tell you a lot more about these lights than I can- they are the main players in the development process.

Phil

okley dokley - finally!!!

apparently all the ebay people went on holiday and no batteries - finally got some today!

WOW - the maxtoch shooter lights up the woods 300+ meters away - there is NOWHERE to hide on the great big oval

thanks so much for all the good advice - got 3 sets of batteries in case as well.

definitely does the biz!