Advice please, on building a 365nm UV head for Tool AA kit

Desired outcome:

An individual, complete head that can be easily swapped in the field to convert the Tool AA Kit light from visible output to 365nm UV output. In a perfect world, I'd be able to run the UV head on an Eneloop or alkaleak. Slightly less desirable would be the necessity to swap in a 14500 to run the UV head. Typical desired runtime would be 1 ~ 2 hrs. per cell.

I have the individual components on the way from Victor at Lumintop to build a complete, separate head. That includes a bare MCPCB. I've already obtained a ZWB2 filter lens to fit.

I'm poorly versed on the details of how to drive a UV LED. I think one of the relatively recent LG 365nm emitters is most desirable due to it's reported lack of visible output, with the Nichia 365nm UV emitter a close second. I also recall there are two(?) LG UV emitters; one featuring 3w output and, a newer one offering 5w output. Which of the two would be appropriate for this build, if either? Or, is there another 365nm emitter that would be a better match for this build?

This is my first foray into any kind of mod. Baby steps...

Thanks all.

slmjim

Already having a ZWB2 filter… without hesitation I would put a LG LEUVA33W70RL00 (5W).

You should be able to just use a LG UV led as a mcpcb emitter swap.
The tool driver shouldn’t produce enouh current to hurt it if your using a copper mcpcb.
Djozz was kind enough to post up his test of the LG UV led.

I have a AA tool that I swapped in a LG UV led in (from Simon) and it works great with either battery type, it even has the original modes to play with.
Modes are not very useful to me in a UV light but thet’re there if I need them. The flashy modes in UV light seems a little weird and cool at the same time.

Thanks for the responses gentlemen.

antiparanoico,

Your recommendation of a specific emitter part # is very helpful. I appreciate that.

moderator007,

Re: the LG emitter, you write "it works great with either battery type".

After reading the linked thread, I'm clearly not understanding something.

The discussion and graphs seem to indicate that usable radiant output is very dependent on a cell being able to maintain voltage above ~3.5v or so.

How does that square with say, a NiMh cell that starts out at ~1.2v on a good day?

The desired runtime of 1 ~ 2 hrs. per cell is worst-case combined, intermittent use, not continuous. Usage will be in the order of 1 - 5 continuous minutes ON, then rest for between 1 hr. & up to 24 hrs, then 1 ~ 5 continuous minutes ON.

slmjim

The driver has a boost circuit for dealing with the AA or Nimh. It converts the voltage up to power the led.
It will be at a much lower current to the led than using the 14500. Guessing around 350 ma while drawing around 1 amp from the battery.
Should give somewhere around 2.5 hours of run time in turbo using a 2450mah eneloop pro.

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm aware of underlying differences in driver design (boost vs buck vs linear) but I don't yet know how to ascertain one design from another unless it's stated in the documentation.

slmjim