Advise for a 1X18650 thrower, S200C2, M2X-UT or?

I got a custom built Convoy C8 from Richard (RMM) at mountain electronics. Does a heck of a job for a small light with what I had him put in it. (my soldering sucks because I cant see the small stuff)

I got the Version 2 but he said the version 3 will do just the same it is just a little more work for him with new version. Cost: around $45 to $50 to your door.

4.1—4.2 amps at 30 seconds and 400 plus yards throw.
6 modes starting with moon up through turbo.

Here is what is in it and some beamshots also.

Or if you like to watch I did a review of the light just to do a review. (Still shots in video and here are a lot more true to life than the video is though, as I have a cheap video camera) There is a teardown of the light also in video. I was practicing and figured I would give Richard some free advertising here and my Youtube channel as he contributes a lot to this forum (free of charge).

CREE XM-L2 U4 1C LED on Noctigon 20mm MCPCB

• Dedome LED: Yes

Convoy C8 Flashlight Host - New Version 2

FET + 7135 Driver - 17mm - MTN-17DDm

• FET Firmware: Standard w/ Memory
  • Turbo Timer: 90 Seconds

Gate 100 yards level 3

Gate 100 yards high

Gate 100 yards (turbo)

Far treeline 400 yards

Far treeline Zoomed in a bit at 400 yards

Just bought m2x ut and it has xp-l hi. They have changed leds to xp-l couple months ago

Hey Robo, love the beam shots! Just for accuracy sake, your light has a de-domed 1C tint? I have always stayed away from de-doming the 1C tint bin as it’s been said that it ends up a nasty color. Your’s is awesome, and exactly where I would like my de-dome tint to end up. Hmm, might be switching a lot of lights to the 1C…

Thanks scotlarock.

Richard has done a number of dedomes for me and they always come out great no matter what tint he used.

Edit: Yes that is correct it is a dedomed XM-L2 U4 1C emitter in the light.

You should try our XPG2 in C8 Robo, with the proper driver and 5+ amps youll have a little or even better candelas than M2X and same beam profile

The emitter aint fake , its just a cool white HI version, as you said it should be swapped immediately cause its realy horrible, they put by default a HI in there now, wonder why ….

Pound for pound, nothing will really beat the M2X. It's truly a stand-alone contender among all non-modded lights (and I don't recommend modding unless the modder is reputable and really knows what he/she is doing). I think the M2X is as close as you can come to a perfect pocket thrower, minus only the issue of the tint on the lower modes and the dinky little lanyard ring.

Its all gone now m8, even a nice modded XPG2 C8 beats it easy, as said in several posts here it uses XPL HI now….lumen output is lowered…cds are lowered, the tint is a nasty cold white one mixed with green due to the AR glass

it SHOULD be modded on arrival,its not that hard though: only an emitter swap, a spring bypass and adding 20 awg wires brings aditional at least 20% increase in performance( at least)

Not to mention the fact that the cool white realy fades away in dusty, foggy, misty, snowy or rainy weather
conditions

CharlesD50

There are new revisions m8, its just Cree didnt annouced it in the PDFs, they are better in general but yet a dedomed V6 is ways better… using XPG2 makes this light exacly like m3x though :wink:

Eh, I like the idea of something being offered with a warranty and full power regulation - even if it's less than it could be - that can be had right out of the box by anyone. I don't like hack-job mods that vary in availability or quality, or a light with "long mode memory" (not that I don't like any modded lights). And frankly, I don't generally notice a difference in output with these supposed pocket rockets that require special batteries.

You said M8? Link to the light you were referring to, please.

“M8” is short for “mate”- as in friend. It’s commonly seen on British and Australian based forums. Re-read the post in that context and it will make sense.

Phil

C8 Just barely eeks out the victory, but still very impressive considering the size difference. Also, that Javelot Tint is absolutely embarrassing in a $100 flashlight. Olight should be ashamed for that crapola.

Absolutely true…

Care to share where you found the clip? Would make a nice add-on to an awesome little thrower.

i usualy order 2-3 M2x monthly, by default they are like 155k cds atm, 80% of them come with the nasty 6000k+ tint YET sometimes if Olight personel are in a good mood they send you something like 5000k 3d tint, my personal one is using that emitter and its quite allright

meawhile i make lotsa XPG2 C8s, and using a good S4 or S3 emitter i hit pretty easy 170k, even 175k- my personal record is 181k( a hand picked emitter, and a selected reflector) and currently i am using that flashlight on my 0.223 rifle- considering its size vs power its the best that one could use on a light rifle like this- you have a 400m clear view even with a modest 8x scope

By clear i mean you can clearly see if its a jackal or a fox

I have received yesterday a Eagletac S200C2 XP-L Hi V3,with 58,400cd and 483m,and yes,it is a very good light with sharp beam, with the complaint of non available strobe mode.I yesterday received as well a modded BLF X6,with three XPL-His,which is superb.It is a flooder,but it has good throw as well.
I looked at your comments about the M2X-UT,and I would buy one of them,but I have the SR52-UT,so I pass.
As for the modded C8s,is it possible to make the same mod with a XPG2, to a BLF X6?

Yes it is, with a good old fashioned XPG emitter you should achieve smth like 100k cds at max, with a good S4 even 120k, a very good torch indeed

58k cds are more or less 150…200 meters tops of usble throw

Well,you say that the mirror which the C8 has,is capable to host a XPG2?I ask,because I think,if it is easy enough,to tell a friend here in Greece,to proceed modding a C8,(hoping to have 170-175K, like you have),which I think will be a Thorfire.
Any suggestion?

Here is one of my Thorfire C8 modded with FET and dedomed XM-L2 U4 1A on Noctigon MCPCB. Making 4.87amps at tail (startup) with Efest High Drain (Purple)

Barn 140 yards

Far Treeline 420 Yards

Far Treeline 500 yards

Thank you very much robo819.