Advise needed for a 18650 light EDC

Correllux mentions the SC21 Pro. It’s the only one with assurance that it “can withstand earthquakes”.

“These are very durable so will be excellent in field use and will survive many drops…”

What sort of FL1-compliant Impact Ratings do those offer?

[quote=Desertcat]

How is that relevant to this particular use case? I saw no mention of such a requirement.

There is plenty of evidence of the solid construction of Convoy products and the ease of repair along with a wide range of high quality replacement parts. I would rather buy several backup lights than pay for an irrelevant rating, and still have change to spare. ANYTHING human made is prone to failure. Better to get a backup light than to buy something with a fancy rating and then rely on a single point of failure.

I bet most manufacturers would not feel any need to spend money on certifications that very few of their users would require, and by insisting on such ratings the number of products available is significantly diminished anyway. Why artificially limit your options for no good reason?

Many thanks all for your input. Been searching and comparing a lot!

With my ‘requirements’, the perfect light doesn’t exist. Currently, one of my tradeoff is that I’ll tolerate a larger light and omit the two way clip. I do need the momentary on tailswitch, which unfortunately drops all Convoy lights from the table.

Streamlight 2lx is fine. Given the simple UI and size, but when comparing to other 18650 lights. I feel like I’m leaving lumens on the table. Especially for the price I’m paying.

Which regards to modes. I only need like turbo/ high and mid/ low. And start at immediate turbo. Strobe, sos or anything else is not needed. Maybe even a downside. When under stress. I really want to have all the lumens at my disposal with just one click. Fine motor skills is the first thing that goes out of the window when under intens pressure. I don’t want to double click something following single click something to have turbo (so to speak).

The fc12 looks appealing. Same with the sofirn. Especially, the sp31 v2 (as I read somewhere on this forum that the sc31t and sp31 V2 are similar but the V2 runs less hot?) Both have more modes than I need and I’m not sure if they can start on turbo, but both have a battery indicator which is a plus. Compromises again…

I think I have a small preference for the V2 compared to the fc12 due to the V2 have a bit more spill and also is a bit smaller.

And quality is a must, to a certain extent and I prefer to lay a bit more when I need to, but I doesn’t need to be professionally certified. I also don’t want to spend a couple of hundred bucks on a light which I may accidentally lose in the field or which will have a high chance to become dirty in the field.

Still debating with myself here.

Thrunite TN12pro ticks a lot of boxes

Is there such a thing as a light that starts on turbo? You can get lights that have a last mode memory that will start on high. Two clicks to get to turbo will become second nature.

I have an sc31t and the momentary on is useful (t is for tactical and all tactical lights should have a momentary on if my recollection is accurate). High is 800 lumens and it throws 133 meters. Turbo gives you 2000 lumens and 209 meters. Pretty damn good for an EDC and it is not an overly large light.

Onboard charging and a reasonable price. You can overthink yourself into brain damage and never get the perfect light (if you do, let the board know some have been looking for years….)

And just to add more fuel to the fire, don’t forget to get a good cell. The light will run better on a quality battery. :slight_smile:

Allright, after some long and careful consideration, I’ve chosen to go for the FC12. Reason:

1. on high mode it’ll have 13.000+ candela, so even if it doesn’t start on turbo, I’ll have a lot of candela available. With a lot of runtime available
  2. instant moonlight activation. Even though I didn’t cite this as a requirement, in hindsight, it’s very useful when working in the field and trying not to lose your night vision
  3. size is pretty much the max I’d accept for an EDC. With the option to mod it with a 18350 though it’s unlikely I’ll do so (got my 1L for that)
  4. good throw with decent spill
  5. two-way clip for ease of attachment.

Certainly, not the perfect light, but very good, especially, for its price.

Many thanks all for your suggestions. It helped me a lot!

Now, hopefully, I won’t fall into the rabbit hole of keep purchasing new lights because I “need” them.

I’ll for sure hang around here!

Cheers!