ALERT - Bicyclists - Phantom Mode Changes

Today I went for a short ride of about 64km or 40 miles. There were several serious very rough railroad tracks to negotiate and the usual street bumps. Remember - last night the small nicks in the shrink wrap were taped just using Scotch tape. Well what happened? The flashlight performed flawlessly with absolutely no change of mode against my wishes!

So...all along it was the very small bare spot that must have been shorting against the inside of the case. That bare spot was not quite 6mm or 0.25 inches long and just a few hair's breadth wide.

By the way - the batteries do have a button top. The batteries will be re-taped using nicer electrical tape too.

Thank you everybody and I hope this thread will be useful for others in the future.

Be careful when you pull some 18650's out of computer battery packs.

It could also be that the tape prevented some lateral movement as well ...

Until I re-tape with black electrical tape the battery was still bouncing around in the flashlight on bumps as I have heard. The flashlight was made for an 18650 with sleeve (used it) or 3XAAA.

curious as the light housing is negative and the cell case is negative. Unless the damage is at the positive lead to the protection circuit.

You can buy replacement shrink tubing if you want to fix it right. Most of my lights won’t handle the extra thickness of tape.

There is quite a lot of extra room even with the 18650 sleeve. Black electrical tape will only be a benefit to disallow the battery from being loose.

The nick is on the side and not the top or bottom.

When I can I will be purchasing shrink tubing. As cheap as it is my budget is very poor at the moment.