ALL THINGS BUDGET KNIVES

anyone know where to get the Land 9103?

THIS ONE at Power Cutlery looks like the same knife to me. It is a Land 913.

The specs are the same IIRC. The number is 913 as opposed to 9103??

The picture shows black but the description does not mention black. Cost a bit more than GearBest or FasTech did…. but they do not have them anymore. :frowning:

Good luck…. :beer:

I used to collect knives a long time ago, but they were almost all Benchmade. They were expensive then (20 years ago) and now they’re just outrageous. So I’ve been checking out all the Chinese knives and ordered a couple to see what’s up. If the Chinese can make awesome flashlights, I don’t see why they can’t make good knives either, right?

These two are on the way:

Ganzo Firebird FH41
Twosun TS16B

What do you guys think? I’m drooling over the Twosun TS100, but at $200+ it’s well outside budget territory (although possibly still a good deal considering the quality of steel and design).

I think you’re in for an excellent surprise. :wink:

These three knives arrived yesterday...

https://www.gearbest.com/pocket-knives-folding-knives/pp_009731759705.html

The Enlan M032S on top is far smaller than I expected. It's truly a keychain knife. Unfortunately, the blade is quite blunt but even worse is the folding mechanism. It almost breaks your fingers to unfold or fold the knife as it requires brute force. I don't know if Enlan did this on purpose or if I'm just unlucky with mine. I'll have an M032M (black appearance) incoming, so I might have a chance to compare it with the M032S.

https://www.gearbest.com/pocket-knives-folding-knives/pp_009845060169.html

The knife in the middle has no real brand or name I could tell. It was rather inexpensive. While it uses an axis lock the blade can only be opened with two hands, i.e. it might be allowed to carry it over here in Germany. There is no flipper or thumb pin to move the blade with one hand only. Just like the Enlan M032S the blade is rather blunt. I could not cut a sheet of paper without tearing it apart.

https://www.gearbest.com/no-lock-folding-knives/pp_009505043020.html

Last but not least and to wind up with good news: The Ganzo FH41 is a true beauty and works like a charm. Everything I saw so far is to my pleasing: The perfectly centered blade is almost razor sharp, the ball bearing works smooth and great, the G10 handle feels well-manufactured. The liner lock appears quite thin, maybe in return for less weight. However, the liner is exactly where it should be and not a bit displaced like on my Gocomma knife. The detent on my FH41 is not weak at all. It takes quite some shaking up to fully open the blade. I'm very satisfied with this one.

I too basically started collecting Benchmades, I have more of them than I care to actually admit…. into 3 digits … :person_facepalming: . :person_facepalming: . :person_facepalming:

The only saving grace in that is my buddy, who owned a gun shop; was a Benchmade dealer. He sold them to me at cost or just barely above. :D .. When he sold out about 10 years ago, the sweet deals ended.

Anyway, as Patrickbateman said; your in for a nice surprise!! . :+1:

I have a FH41 & love it. As a fellow & former Benchmade collector, I’m anxious to hear your opinion of the FH41.

Personally, I am beyond impressed with it! It amazes me they can, and do; sell such a quality made knife so cheap. :beer:

I can say I like my TS51, esp. details like a detent ramp and O-rings under the pivot and its screw.
When you know how not to hold your finger on the locking arm it opens almost hydraulic.
The clips are often and issue on TS knives, rigid and short with a tendency to hold the seam too well also due to the framelock relief being on the outside.
Anyways, I’ve smoothened the edge on the relief and gave it an orange peel surface, now I love it as my Travel Chef :wink:

Buying them in an auction in their ebay shops twosunknives and d-win99 is especially fun.
On Amazon or Aliexpress the TS51 is around $70, i got it for $43 !
It took me 2-3 months to get it for that price though :wink:

My faves for next purchase would be the TS164 and the TS123, for Ganzo maybe the FH51 even though the FH41 seems to be the better edc knife by design.

Is Kershaw Cryo II worth the $30 that Amazon is selling it for?

The Cryo II is a very nice knife.

If you don't care about superficial scratches, I suggest ordering from dhgate.com (in China).

It's dirt cheap, but in my experience, they don't package their knives very well, so it'll show up with some faint scratches.

Do a search for Kershaw 1556 to find a bunch real cheap.

If you don't want to order from China, it's also on eBay for less than Amazon:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=kershaw+%28"cryo+ii"%2C"cryo+2"%2C1556%29&_sacat=0&_sop=15&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3&_blrs=recall_filtering

Oh, wow, half that price on dhgate. Thanks!

I've bought two Kershaw knives on dhgate.com

Besides the small scratches, they were excellent deals.

dhgate doesn't have a huge selection of Kershaw knives, however.

Mostly just older models (that are made in China.)

They’re still available on Aliexpress here with free shipping. The Land 913 is the black washed version previously called as 9104.

My 9103’s arrived today. Nice knives for $13.99 each. :wink:
Everything looks good, fit n’ finish is very good. Blades centered & sharp out of the box.

They are marked Land 912. But IIRC Sanrenmu renamed the ‘Land 9103’ the ‘Land 912’.

Can anyone verify that?

I would need to see better pictures but the allen screws on some picts of 912 look smaller (in diameter) to those on my 9103.

The thumbstud is also different. My 9103 have a domed peak on the thumbstud, akin to the P801. The 912 has a flattened peak.

What does that mean? Idk. I have not followed the model much in past year, I don’t know if these are model changes or something more sinister.

Does yours 912 look like this also ?

My 9104 is exactly the same as the 913 I ordered for a friend, even the parts are interchangeable.

When I look at this video of 912 I can immediately see that the domed screws are smaller in diameter to my early-model 9103/4. They are way too small for holes! And the thumbstud is different (flat peak). The color of the handle steel and the stonewashing texture also look more akin to 8103 than 9103. (the 8103 for me was much lower in manufacture quality).

I do not have my 9103/4 to hand so perhaps there are other differences

What does this mean? I don’t know.
Perhaps Sanrenmu changed the model (is common)
Perhaps there are some fakes on the market (due to popularity, would not surprise me)
Perhaps it is discontinued and some dishonest factor workers are using random screws to assemble leftover parts (ie not fake, but “semi-fake”)

Or something else

The thumb stud’s of my 912’s look the same as your picture, posted below. The screws do not, they fill the counter sunk area in the handle very well…
Fit n’ finish is excellent. Zero complaints.
So ’maybe’ it is just a model # change…. 9103 became 912.

That’s good news. You can never be too careful with the Chinese.

I just had to get the fh to compare….very nice!

http://imgur.com/gallery/9KN7sVY

Maybe it’s also a point where you order your stuff.
These 911, 912 and 913 were from Gearbest and they look legitimate to me.
They were made the same as my forst 910+ and parts were interchangeable.

Still I think SRM should make a 910+ with a G10 from scale to reduce weight.