ALL THINGS BUDGET KNIVES

Thanks for the suggestions. The HF is a bit long for my taste, but the others are promising. Unfortunately, looks like they’re out of production so finding one might be tough. That T01a looks like it might’ve been a good option. (Seems like Amazon pricing is a little steep for the SRMs)

The longer I’ve had this knife, the more I appreciate it. The pretty stonewash and the contours are aesthetically pleasing. It cuts nicely. The action is superb and seems to have gotten even better over time. It feels good in hand, but I did help it a little to get there.

This knife benefited from a quick modification that I do on a lot of budget knives with nested liners. The inner edge of the scales were a little rough. So I rounded them off. I used an ordinary emery board, course then fine. I marked off the spots where it mates with the backspacer with a little painter’s tape before I took it apart. It’s amazing how much that little bit of work can add to the comfort of a knife over time.

Interesting, I might take it apart and give it a clean and lube. The craftsmanship is top notch, compared to my US made Para3 lightweight which I love but it is off centre at the moment to the point where it rubs sometimes on deploy and I’ll have to service again.

Can you show us some pics of that decarbonized Griffin?

I never liked how they put the same pattern on the backside, too. It doesn’t match with the clip and it just doesn’t look thought through.
But when you say it’s just .5mm thick (sounds like an EasyPreg sheet for car parts) then it even more feels like an afterthought.

Hey guys, we have this fine knife but it too much looks like the Carson folder, lets throw some CF on it!

Maybe a two-tone anodization would look better then.

@Adahn, here you go

Thank you. This is looking way better that before but to me this knife with all its curves would look better just plain.

Maybe someday I’ll try a Ti one but the more I look at it the cooler it would be if they added a front flipper.
I guess I’ll just put it on search on ebay to shoot it cheap one day but I doubt I’ll get it for €40 like my AL version.
No defects, only the box was ripped on the inside (!) I like such discounts.

I agree, I would have preferred it plain as well, or at least with only one large real carbon fiber inlay on each side.
Yeah, 40E will be hard to find but you never know.
I got mine at the cheapest price I have ever seen it, I think it was $110/$115 a couple of years back, from an online store that was clearing them. The store closed shortly afterwards so I think they were just clearing everything they had and selling at cost.
Mind you, mine has a problem with it, which is that the safety lock doesn’t engage in the closed position (it does in the open position), it seems as if the button lock doesn’t go far enough to clear where the safety lock engages. It’s no big deal for me as I don’t need it and it’s not like the blade comes out easily anyway, you need to really want to gravity flip it in order for the blade to come out.
For the price, I didn’t return it because it would have been a hassle to do so (I’m in Canada but get my knives shipped to a family member in the US that I visit a couple of times a year because Canada Customs has seized a few legal knives from me for no good reason, it’s a long story…)

The black version can’t be locked in open position neither. I don’t mind, it’s not even common that button lock knives have such a security lock.
I’ve had something like that on a liner lock knife (SRM T01) and I hated it so much that I had to remove it.
On this Griffin I like it.

And I know how you feel about importing knives. Here it’s more the reason that I have to pay 20 Swiss Francs ($20) import fee when the value (incl. p+p) is more than CHF 65, plus customs. In Germany €150 is free, or at least they don’t really check the cheap stuff.
Funny thing is that they check parcel from the US much better than things directly from China.

I have tried a new brand, I didn’t have any of them. You can see my review on my blog and youtube channel. Review: https://chinese-knives.blogspot.com/2020/08/review-kubey-ku208.html

Review: https://chinese-knives.blogspot.com/2020/08/review-kubey-ku208.html

Latest Sanremu 9202 is really high quality. I don’t own a Benchmade but I think its on the same level of a big brand. The integrated liners are really awesome.

That is quite impressive, but then at a discounted price of $74.95 it well should be! Sanrenmu seems to be edging for a higher tier now. How’s the weight on this? My biggest problem with the lower mid tier Chinese knives is that they’re always about an ounce heavier than I’d like for an EDC.

Anyone here have the Sanrenmu 1006, with 14C28N steel? I like the design on this one, plus the G-10 scale pattern. My only two gripes are the clip looking rather anemic and the weight… coming in at a massive 195g—nearly 1/2 a pound, for a 3.5” blade! Just crazy. And the photographer who was tasked with taking the photos ought to be hand-slapped, because the blade spine shot makes it look like the blade is way out of alignment, almost rubbing up against one liner. :person_facepalming:

It looks great! I’m planning to order the same version! :slight_smile:

You can find these for $29.99 shipped. The weight is also quite good at 96g.

I have one of those SRM 1006s. It’s a very well balanced folder so it doesn’t feel as heavy or chunky what you would think according to the specs. Anyway mine weights 184 g. Overall built quality is also excellent and this is my only folder which came with a mirror polished factory edge:

Yeah, I went to that very link… and the price shows as $74.95. Don’t know how you’re getting $29.99… maybe that’s a price exclusive to your country? Thanks for the feedback on the 1006. That’s pretty amazing for them to provide a mirror polished edge. That kind of treatment is usually reserved for more costly knives.

Hey guys, anyone know where I can find a Feldspar with Micarta scales.

Budget assisted opening Jeff Hall and Darrel Ralph Collaborations.
With the Blackie Collins strong AO system.

Budget carbon fiber/G10 Greg Lightfoot and Kirby Lambert Collaborations.

Then the pricing must be country/state specific. For me it’s $29.99, I also saw the same price in a Russian review too.
Anyway American customers always get the best deals, this is a rare counter-example.

Once I almost managed to grab the right one from Ali. I dig that tanto blade shape. How is the overall performance of that beauty?