ALL THINGS BUDGET KNIVES

I also have an orange one in the mail.
How is the lock up? Does it have horizontal or vertical blade play?

Which one is your favourite?
According to your pics I would choose the Vantage Pro for regular EDC.

Hi Isti.,

The lock is very firm considering it is such a small knife - I wouldn’t put too much trust in it for heavy work but, in reality, this is a light-use knife and in that regard it is really good. There is no side to side play if you give the pivot a little tighten, but there is the slightest bit of vertical play. It is barely noticeable though and in practice it doesn’t matter.

If I get a chance I will take some sandpaper to the Spyderhole - it is just a bit too sharp. Also to the compression lock release because that too is sharp.

All in all, for £6 it is a smashing little knife which you can use for dirty tasks because it is so cheap. Today I’ve opened some packages, cut up some boxes, sliced some cheese and also dug some holes in the soil in the garden.

Because I’ve tightened the pivot slightly, it doesn’t flick open like a PM2, plus to close it with one hand is a little tricky as I have to use my thumb to release the lock then my forefinger to close with the thumb ramp or the hole. It is doable though but in practice it is easier to just close with two hands.

Anyway, I think you’ll be happy.

A couple of questions for you:

Is it easy to dismantle and reassemble the Kershaw Amplitude 3.25?

Also, where in the EU are you?

Bull Terriers are nice, but Viva La Border Collie!!!

Best regards,

SP

Hello isti,
for the real practical point of view for normal usage, you are right with your choice,
due the smaler size and its overall quite non aggressive appearance, the Vantage Pro would be the favourite for EDC carry.
For the esthetical point of view, of course my personal favourite is the E963 Titanium.
For the “play-action” respectively “fun-factor” point of view, my favourite is certainly be the Blur.

So a clone or mixture with all the good properties of these three, might be a great one… :blush:

Spent a relaxing half an hour making a few lanyards.

Nice lanyard beads! :+1:

Disassembling and assembling the Amplitude was quite easy. I also polished the bronze washers with 1200 and 2000 grit sandpapers.

I chose the English Bull Terrier to help me improve my language skills! :wink:
Someday I’ll have a Border Collie too for sure! :slight_smile:

Here is my try with my Ganzo G727M

Nice folders for sure! :+1:
I regret not to buy one of the composite blade versions of the Blur when they were widely available.
I also like the wood handled version of the Vantage. A Pro version of it would be great with S30V steel.
Does the E963 come with a steel lock bar insert?

S963 … Nope

That Ganzo is lovely Isti and looks great with your leather and bead. I’ve just ordered some square section suede, 2.5mm, which I’ll use to knock up a few more lanyards. I’m on the lookout for nice bronze or copper beads but there are so many to choose from on the likes of AE!!!

I’ll take a wild guess and say you’re a Czech lad? :laughing:

I meet a couple of English Bull Terriers when I’m out walking my collies (I have two Merle Collies - a ten year old Slate Merle dog and a three year old Tri-Merle bitch) and they are nice solid but very friendly dogs.

Best regards,

Paul

Just ordered this guy…

And this guy.

Both were about $30 each… the top one is d2 and the bottom is 7cr17mov.

^Links man, we need links!!!

I just ordered one of THESE from Amazon. Have several Mora’s already, but this will be the first with the HD blade…

Oh yeah… So I’ll include the links and the basic description in case those links are no longer good.

The bottom one is called the “Fox Hunting Fixed Knife Wood Handle 7Cr17Mov.”

The top one is called the Fox Camping Hunting Fixed Blade Knives Outdoor Survival Tools D2 Steel.

Both can be had for right under $30 if you look.

I have that Fox, it’s a good deal for the money. The handle is very comfortable although guys with large hands might find it a bit small. It comes with a decent quality leather sheat which is quite rare in this price. Here is a couple pics with my Bolte Scout.

I thought about the bolte scout, but when for these two instead. I bought both because of the leather sheaths and flat grind… two things I prefer in a budget fixed blade. Good to hear it’s nice. Thanks for the pictures!

I have also been looking to pick up a fixed blade. I just pulled the trigger on this sexy Bowie. The Bolte Croc

The Bolte Croc looks awesome! :+1: It has been sitting on my wishlist for a while.

I’ve been eyeing up both of those. I was reading some reviews on the bottom one and I saw some complaints of the handle material. One showed photos of the wooden scale having broken in half and fell off the knife. I decided against purchasing it because of that, but as with all of your reviews, I look forward to seeing what you have to say.

Interesting, I didn’t see a lot of reviews for it but I’ll put them through the ringer, and see if they’re worth a crap.

If handles can be removed before heavy duty one can enjoy them long time
The first you show mhanlen I would not but for that reason, next to tang, remove able handles are mandatory for me.

My new Manix 2 XL lookalike Brother 1601 has arrived along with a Ganzo G7391-CF and a Sanrenmu 7084.
The 1601 is my first Brother folder and I’m afraid it won’t be the last. Here is my review with more pics.