All things Titanium

How could I not show the light I made from Timascus and Mokume Gane Sinner gave me for my birthday several years ago?

1 Thank

My Titanium and copper EDC Quad. Lot of BLF story behind this one. Been wearing it on my belt for years.

Anodized a few colors to display that amazing property of Titanium.

1 Thank

Oh yeah, scratch built of course.

Back in March 2017 I slipped two discs in my spine at C5/C6 and C6/C7, had surgery and they put a Ti plate on my spine with 6 Ti screws. I made a crude version of the plate, correct size but crudely machined as a lathe is not a mill. Dr was impressed anyway. My neck hated me for doing this!

2 Thanks

Yeh, that reminds me I’ve got a plate of ti on my collar bone too

Based on the tiny metal markers visible on both films, it looks like your surgeon also implanted an interbody fusion device at both levels to help restore the disc space. If you don’t mind my asking, is that correct? Also, how long after after surgery were these films taken?

Although the two upper screws appear to have slightly breached the inferior endplate of C5, hopefully both levels have successfully fused and you haven’t had any post-surgical complications. Are you glad you went through with this procedure? I really hope you’re doing well.

I like titanium knives. Especially Reate and Reate-made knives.

KnotSoMuch, as I understood it at the time a cage was placed along with a glue made from powdered cadaver bone. Fusion was to my surgeons satisfaction within about 3 months, which I think is when those films were shot.
I do have reduced range of movement and my neck aches when the barometer drops below 30 inches but yes, it was a necessary procedure as the pain level from my compressed spine was atrocious. Pinched the ulnar nerve at that point and had searing fire all the way through the left thumb. Thumb is still affected, but hey, new normals and all that.
New hip will be my next big Ti adventure, was supposed to already have had it 3 days after Christmas but Insurance played me, haven’t managed to reschedule yet.

NextCity…. Nice collection(this part of it anyway, for sure)

Do you have a favorite among the Reate line? I’ve found them to be quality made knives with very decent materials choices.

The K3 with the blue Mokuti was my favorite Reate for five years, until they recently put out the EXO (the three in the middle). It’s a gravity knife. Fun (and finally legal to carry).

I may have kinda shot myself in the foot, as it were. Been looking for the perfect EDC folder for years. Love Titanium scaled framelocks with premium steel, have graduated for a long time. Should have quit looking with the acquisition of my Koenig Arius, still a favorite as well as it’s smaller sibling the Mini Goblin…

Now that I’m making my own knives though I find myself carrying complimentary fixed blades in MagnaCut. All my fancy folders have become safe queens.

Your understanding is right on Dale, accept that the surgeon likely also combined the allograft (cadaver bone powder) with an autologous (patient harvested) biologic growth matrix to form the basis for a successful fusion. In addition to the interbody fusion (IF) cages acting as a support scaffold for the osteogenic material during the fusion process, they also serve two other vital functions. First is to restore the height of the disc space (or two in your case) after removal of the diseased, herniated discs (discectomy). And second is to provide the now compromised segment with stability, which will be further enhanced by the titanium plate & screws.

If you hadn’t already indicated that you’re doing well at ~5 years post-op, along with noting your surgeon’s satisfaction, your X-rays clearly appear to indicate that your cervical fusion was successful at both levels, noting that no gaps appear at the vertebral endplates

Because it’s so important for patients of spinal fusion surgery in particular, to fully comply with their doctor’s post-surgical instructions until the fusion process is complete, having your activities so limited must have been awful for you.

Since the majority of our neck’s A/P & lateral range of motion (ROM) occurs at the C1/C2 (Atlas/Axis) levels, I hope the reduced ROM created by the fusion and implants will never limit your ability to fully enjoy the remainder of your life. Unfortunately for those of us who suffer from any type of arthritis and are also recipients of metal implants, humidity’s another source of pain that we’ll have to forever endure…unless we move to the desert.

With your fusion complete and nerve compression relieved, there’s a good chance that the residual issues affecting your arm & thumb will eventually & fully resolve. Since these nerve compressions develop over a very long period of time, try to be patient since it could still take a few more years.

BTW, it’s great to have you back and involved. For the health & benefit of the forum, I hope you stay!

Having already endured a surgery as scary as a neck fusion can be, I absolutely get how you’re not pushing for that hip replacement. Since I’m a multiple recipient of Total Hip Replacements, please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns you may have. Hopefully I can help alleviate any apprehension you may have or develop as the time nears. Wishing you well! - John

BTW, for someone like you Dale, who builds & modifies various things making use of a variety of materials, including some exotics like mokume gane, the material I believe is still most often used to manufacture IF fusion cages is a synthetic known as Poly Ether Ketone, or PEEK. Although PEEK is probably cost prohibitive, I thought I would ask if you have you ever had your hands on, or worked with PEEK?

1 Thank

Great info! Thanks! My surgeon left our local hospital immediately after my procedure so follow up simply didn’t happen. Our hospital underwent a buyout and many Dr.s left.

I haven’t worked with PEEK but will have a look. :slight_smile:

Did some finalizing on another knife this morning, cut off the Titanium pins flush with the Suriname Ironwood scales and filed/sanded for surface smoothness. Need to fine sand it and put the final edge on it’s MagnaCut blade. :wink:

Had to stop and hand wash the wife’s car. Always something!

If you should develop any issues or just have questions, as with hip replacements, just feel free to ask.

Whether here or on CPF over the years, I have learned more from you about the existence of exotic, hobbyist materials than anyone else.

Must stay in someone’s good graces if you want to keep using those exotics!

1 Thank

While I DO love me some Titanium, my venture with Mammoth Molar as knife scales was not inclusive to more of the same! A dentist I am not, for multiple reasons!

When I received a pretty expensive Medford Praetorian Slim Flipper and found it not to my liking on many fronts, I massaged the Titanium frame lock to ease it’s tension, cut a radius in the inner opposing side so the lock could be better accessed, made a linen micarta thumb stud of sorts to facilitate the grab out of pocket and made a Titanium pocket clip from a gifted block of 6AL4V. Then proceeded to electro-anodize all the Titanium components to the top of the scale.

Happy with it now, it resides in the safe. Lol

PEEK may be interesting as a bearing material for a Ti framed folder. At $90 a foot in 5/8” bar stock it isn’t prohibitive but I may be more prone to use ceramic bearings. Am really interested in making my first folder. Possibly even with a Titanium blade. Most of the materials have already been gathered. :wink:

Please shake me awake when Convoy comes out with the S2 in Titanium in a bit. I’m a buyer for sure.

Thanks!

While I DO have an X6 in Titanium it would be really cool to make one! Maybe an 21700 upgraded model with SBT90.2…