Almost buying a Nitecore HC30, any advice or tips?

Hi guys,

I’m this |…….| close to buying a Nitecore HC30

I’m attracted to this headlamp because I want a single 18650 headlamp that packs a punch.

What I really like is the clip on function so that I can clip it on my collar or similar.

Do any of you have one and would you buy one again, or buy one for a friend?

Or would you with the knowledge you have now buy a different headlamp that runs on a single 18650?

Get a skilhunt H03. Better deal and has TIR optic

I have the h02R and it’s the best budget headlamp compared to xtar h3 and nitecore hc30.

The h03 is even brighter, more compact and doesn’t have that hollow shelf design of the h02.

The Xtar h3 would be a better chcoice if you require temperature regulation.

I have one and a skilhunt , it has a good output and has been reliable even though it has been bashed about under trucks and trailers, runtime is good in lower modes
The only thing I could complain at is that it is quite a “throwy” headlight sometimes I need more flood over a large area and it has too much of a hotspot which is why I swapped to the skilhunt which floods more.

I love my HC30 it’s my go to headlamp. Great output small and light and has a good UI.

Indeed a TIR optic would be great and I see the skillhunt h03f even has that flip up or down TIR optic.

But the UI is so…. it can do way to much in my opinion and the headband, who comes up with them colours and designs? :confounded:

Also I’m used to the Nitecore UI, in every light they sell it is the same.

I’m gonna buy the nitecore hc30, found another thread on this forum where someone bought a lose TIR optic and put it in a hc30.

Gonna try my hand at that, maybe even leave the hc30 like it is but make a flip up or down TIR optic like h03f has.

Thanks you guys!

Good choice, I use my nightcore hc more than any other headlight I have.

Sounds interesting using a TIR optic, any chance you could post a link to the thread you found it in please.
Thanks

I had a spare tir optics from an s2+ it didn’t fit.

+1 on skilhunt H03 or the H03R. the magnet is also a plus.

TIR optic installation :
BLF thread

The Nitecore HC30, Skilhunt "R's" and the Xtar H3 are all similar. The Skilhunt uses a different button location and they all use a different UI. The HC30 and H3 are closer in similarity.

All are good. The bigger issue is service after the sale.

My friend is about to buy HC30 too and I wait to get the chance to compare it with my Skilhunt H03.

Install a 20mm 60 degree TIR. Swap the stock cool XM-L with neutral one on DTP board, maybe even 219B or 219C. Put a magnet in the tail cap.
Then it’ll be good. HC30 is a subpar off-the-shelf headlight, but a very good host. There is even a nice custom build using its body, but with high-CRI XHP-50, wide TIR lens and a boost driver.

You should have worked it with a file.

Yea i just did and its awesome lol so good every one needs one wowzer! I will take pics. Mine is 15 degree.

Idiot question:

What’s a TIR lens and why is it a good thing? Google ended up confusing me even more when I looked at it. Is it just a fancy name for a diffuser?

LMGTFY answer:
https://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Atir+lens

and click “images”
https://www.google.com/search?q=define:tir+lens&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiO5umLxurPAhUBTWMKHYh1D5sQ_AUICigD&biw=1211&bih=822

I had a Skilhunt h03… It is now dismantled in its original card-box, I don’t even want to use it as a host. The reflector diameter is too small, the electronic isn’t reliable (I did let it fall on concrete from 1m… Stopped working immediately) I checked the wire connection, the led and conclude that the component failed.

Go for the Nitecore HC30, better host, better electronic. Also, the magnet inside the Skilhunt is very weak, the clip is rubbish too.

From factory, The Wizard has the strongest magnet (easy removable) and the best TIR reflector (BUT no mod allowed, . Unless you are a psychopathic can opener, and like to scratch anodized aluminum)

IF you need a good host/electronic, he HC30 is the best. Compact too.

H600d if you need a proper CRI and don’t want to play-play soldering stuff…
Wizard Pro if you like lumens over cri.

I love my HC30, however if I knew then what I know now, I might have opted for the Xtar H3 Warboy. Not that I’m disappointed with my HC30. It’s one of my favorite lights. Might order a Warboy just for giggles.