Alternative to TK70?

Well at some point you have to become objective with your beamshots. I now have done that here. I even tell you my settings before posting pictures. I have learned, and thanks to my buddy troop I am doing a much better job of showing it like you see in person. Some of the pictures at CPF are way off from what you would see in person and a lot are still using auto exposure.

I know what you mean. Spongebob was a sign of appreciation. Love your beamshots. :)

Thanks a bunch.

Truth be told, the TK70 is one bad light that others just can’t seem to beat. That explains theads like this one or when others try to give examples of lights or custom lights that will beat it. When others or doing their best to compare their lights against the TK70, that tells you right there that the competition is still far behind.

Yeah, I'd also love to have light like the TK70, just not the TK70.. but the other 3XML lights all seem to be way more floody than the TK70.. :/

One of the most impressive things about your beamshots is probably your large collection and mostly your (good) "obsession" with getting great beamshots for us, thus investing a lot of time on comparing awesome lights.. I'm having huge arguments with my bank account because of you!

for me it’s the tk70 or the tn30…tk70 probably beats it in throw but the tn30 beats it in size…is the difference in throw going to be that noticeable? I don’t know…wish ILF had access to a tn30 to test vs the tk70…right now the size of the tk70 is just too much and I wouldn’t use it like I would the tn30 because of that…it’s an awesome light…no doubt about it…

Thats funny. I would get a TK70 just for the size. :D

lol…compensating? :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh you bad boy. :P

If you didnt have a Maglite when you were a child, your parents didnt love you. I had Maglites and I like the size.. they look impressive. And then the output of the TK70.. perfect match imo.^^

I used a mag for many years before getting into lights…I found the size to be the worst thing about it…left it in the office most times, because I didn’t want to drag it along with me…but if you like the size then it’s all good…

I'm used to big things (I should have thought of that one a post earlier). :)

haha nice!

Maybe someone should provide me a TN30 for free to compare it to the TK70. I would take lots and lots of beamshots. LOL!

HKJ has reviewed the TK70, and the TN30, and the XTAR S1. The S1 is sort of halfway between the other two in terms of throw and physical size, I think (I don’t own any of them).

I myself have a Dry and like it a lot, but I’m thinking of maybe getting a throwier light too. For me the TK70 is out just because of the size (I envision myself walking the dogs, stopping to pick up poo, and not knowing where to put the TK70. I guess I could use a shoulder strap but that seems weird to me). The TN30 and S1 would fit in my jacket pocket temporarily. I’ve also got my eye on Ric’s Apex 5x XM-L. Waiting for beamshots.

The TN30 and S1 are tops on my list though because of the control rings. My pinky gets tired trying to press the tailcap switch on the Dry.

In my opinion, you get the TK70 if you prefer NiMH. I probably would have got my dad one if I found a smokin’ deal. Size wouldn’t have been an issue for him. However, if one prefers li-ion, or is at least comfortable with that chemistry, then I think the decision gets tougher. It’s hard to argue with the smaller form factor of these newer multi-XML lights coupled with their features and output. You can’t simply tell someone to get both because most people don’t want to spend that kind of money.

It all comes down to weighing wants vs dollars. The TK70 isn’t automatically the winner because it throws further. It’s also a big stinkin’ light and that’s a turn off to many consumers. In summary: They’re all GREAT! :bigsmile: