Alternative to Zebralight SC64

Has anyone suggested the YLP Unicorn 1.0? It’s not a perfect match, but I’d recommend it with a (extremely easy) emitter swap to 519A 5700K to suit your CW tastes.

I have a 64w hi. 4 months ago it started to flicker badly on turbo and higher modes. ZL wanted $20 and 4 months to RMA it. I set it aside, contemplated selling it cheap, and bought cheaper lights to replace it.

Just yesterday I came across a post about the importance of having clean threads on the tailcap to minimize resistance especially for higher output modes. I cleaned the threads and regreased, and it works flawlessly again. It’s like a delayed Christmas morning!

Just passing along in case it helps you.

3 Thanks

Are those still available? I thought YLP lights left the market when the Ukraine war started, since YLP is a Russian brand.

not sure, but seems like yes

Maybe not. From the website you linked:

" Order payment

PayPal

Payment for orders can only be made via PayPal.

We are very sorry but PayPal now is not support payments to our account. Orders can’t be place while the boycott is going!

Order delivery

Delivery of orders throughout the territory of Russia and abroad is carried out by the Post of Russia or courier delivery service of the SDEC."

1 Thank

Unpopular take: The Nichia 519a 5700K with dome is the best in that series.

Hi unfortunately my issue goes beyond flicker as the emitter die only partially lights up. Maybe a bad connection on the board or a part of the circuit is fried.

2 Thanks

Your take may be unpopular, but I agree with it. I was beginning to think I was the only one that wanted the light to be white and not yellow. :rofl:

It depends on individual perception. Like, I want my lights to be white and not yellow. But I also want my lights to be white and not blue. The sweet spot is somewhere in the middle, and that spot depends on the person and how their eyes work.

The difference between different eyes tends to be most striking when someone has cataract surgery. They’ll generally do one eye at a time, a few weeks apart… and during that time with only one eye done, the patient can cover one eye then the other, back and forth, and watch as the entire world changes color. Before the operation, someone might find 5700K looks white and 4500K looks yellow, but after the operation, they’re likely to find that 4500K looks white and 5700K looks blue.

There are also other factors at work though… like comparison to ambient light, overall brightness, and also the Kruithof curve and similar:

9 Thanks